Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM

Default lighted nocks???????

how many of you guys use lighted nocks for hunting and if so what are your likes or dislikes of them
alan
Old 10-08-2013, 02:54 PM

lighted nocks are heavier than normal nocks so they will have less speed and more drop, and any animal shot with a lighted nock can not be entered in the boone and crockett record book or pope and young either
Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 PM

They are great for visibilty no doubt about it but.......they are heavier and as stated above unless you shoot with them all the time you will have to resight in your bow.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoman View Post
They are great for visibilty no doubt about it but.......they are heavier and as stated above unless you shoot with them all the time you will have to resight in your bow.
No necessary...

With the velocity output of today's modern bows the increased weight is minor and does not effect poi much.

I too have thought the extra weight may change and need resight how ever practice at the range between reguLar and lighted nocks poi is the same out to 60yrds.

I practice with no lighted nocks but hunt with them with out question with my set up. And have killed successfully out to 55yrds.

That being said
I'm am not familiar with weights of all available lighted nocks as only tried lumenocks (currently using) and nockturnals . Would love to try firenocks but can't justify the price.

But can reassure from experience with my set up and wife's set up lumenocks don't make a difference from regular nocks and resighting isn't required.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:11 AM

Default Nocks

I love my nockternals ! Haven't found any need to resite . Reds the brightest I find and easiest to recover . You see the shot and any deflection (twigs ,wind ). Just my 2 cents
Old 10-09-2013, 06:32 AM

i bought some fire nocks recently and they are pretty great. the POI is not that much different at 20y, a bit different at 30y and i would assume even more the further out you get but i haven't tested them past 30. what i did notice is that they actually fly a lot differently, the added weight at the back definitely makes em wobble and fishtail and i would be concerned with penetration on an animal due to the fishtail.

this is all just my personal experience with them tho so of course you have to take it with a grain of salt.

they are pretty cool for sure...just not for me.

if you want some i have a set of 3 i'd sell you, basically new.

Schian
Old 10-09-2013, 08:58 AM

I love my luminocks I wouldnt shoot another way then with a lighted Knock.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 AM

We have found that with heavy arrows and a well tuned bow they fly much the same ..but on border line spine arrows and/or border line tuned bows the addition of the weight of a lighted nock to back of arrow can effect POI greatly

I highly recommend that before you install them and go hunting that you shoot them Prior with your broadheads and hunting set up...even if you had shoot the broodheads before season and the fly dead on.

JMHO
Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 10-09-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Hey Neil

Quick Question is there a manufactor the makes a lighted knock for the small arrow shaft I got a dozen Easton Full Metal Jackets and the standard Lumniocks dont fit.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 AM

Found they do drop a little bit just need to compensate for it. One thing I can say is when I first got them I was target shooting and a yellow jacket flew in my ear just as I was shooting causing me to miss the target ( by about 3 feet). The arrow went skipping across the field into a berm covered in high grass. But still from 70 yards away I could see the blue glowing blob coming from the grass.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Hey Neil

Quick Question is there a manufactor the makes a lighted knock for the small arrow shaft I got a dozen Easton Full Metal Jackets and the standard Lumniocks dont fit.

Thanks

Most of the Lighted nock make nocks for the ST or smaller sized shafts..
The Lumenok X are what you need for the FMJ's

Lumenok X -Fits .205” ID shafts
and others such as Trophy Ridge shafts Crush, Blast Hailfire, Wrath
Easton: Axis, AC Superslim, Full Metal Jacket.
Beman: MFX Black Max carbon

Neil
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Most of the Lighted nock make nocks for the ST or smaller sized shafts..
The Lumenok X are what you need for the FMJ's

Lumenok X -Fits .205” ID shafts
and others such as Trophy Ridge shafts Crush, Blast Hailfire, Wrath
Easton: Axis, AC Superslim, Full Metal Jacket.
Beman: MFX Black Max carbon

Neil
Thanks man
Old 10-13-2013, 03:11 PM

If you actually put a Nocturnal on a scale and then follow it up with your regular nock you won't see that much difference in weight. Certainly not enough for a tree stand hunter taking shots of 30 meters maximum to worry about. I had no trouble adding them to my hunting arrows and have watched them zip through 2 deer this fall so far.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM

I weighed my Nocturnal and my regular nocks and there is 4.5 grains difference.
Enough to make a difference? not really with the set up I am using.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 PM

Slightly off-topic, but I recently killed two of my Nockturnals, so I switched back to my regular Gold Tip nocks... My grouping of three arrows shifted about 3 inches to the left with regular nocks at 30 yards, 3.5 inches at 40... Adjusted and ready to go, just good to find out before you smack broadheads on with different nocks and automatically expect it to be the same out in the field.
Test, test, test!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
No necessary...

With the velocity output of today's modern bows the increased weight is minor and does not effect poi much.

I too have thought the extra weight may change and need resight how ever practice at the range between reguLar and lighted nocks poi is the same out to 60yrds.

I practice with no lighted nocks but hunt with them with out question with my set up. And have killed successfully out to 55yrds.

That being said
I'm am not familiar with weights of all available lighted nocks as only tried lumenocks (currently using) and nockturnals . Would love to try firenocks but can't justify the price.

But can reassure from experience with my set up and wife's set up lumenocks don't make a difference from regular nocks and resighting isn't required.

Glad they worked for you but not for me, both me and a buddy were hitting 6 inches low at 30yards. Maybe just our set up but both of us are shooting modern bowtech bows.