Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Hoochie Papa

Default Where do I set my pins?

Just put a 4-pin sight on my bow after shooting instinctive for the last ??teen years.

Wanted to ask what you guys set your pins at. I was figuring 20, 30, 40 and 50. But then thought that they will be pretty close together, and potentially block a lot of view.

Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoochie Papa View Post
Just put a 4-pin sight on my bow after shooting instinctive for the last ??teen years.

Wanted to ask what you guys set your pins at. I was figuring 20, 30, 40 and 50. But then thought that they will be pretty close together, and potentially block a lot of view.

Thoughts?
I`d go with 20,30,40,50.I got 60 and 70 for s--ts and giggles.lol Seems to work for me.Just try it at different encrements EX 10 25 35 45 or whatever.I just find when i`m looking at a deer or elk or whatever it`s easy for me to go with 20,30,40 ect i`d rather shoot 25 by spliting the two pins than having pins at 10,25,40 or whatever just less chance of mucking it up.Don`t know if i`m much help to ya but i`m sure you`ll fig it out.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I was figuring 20, 30, 40 and 50
Yep that is pretty much the standard. If you do something different, whatever that may be, you'll have to come up with a way of estimating that distance to the target.......i.e., estimating 10 yard (20/30/40/50) increments vs 15 yard (15/30/45/60) increments. I would think 10 yard increments would be easier.......but that is what I've always done.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Gone Hunting

About 3 years ago i swapped from the standard 20 30 40 50 60 70, and went to 25 35 45 55 65. The draw back that i found was that i had to completely change my way of thinking in fast situations, but it has been a breeze, a slow breeze at first mind you!!! The gain is that you shoot the same range with one less pin. Its awesome, less pins to muck around with, and the job gets easier come time to get nasty. You have to bracket pins for mid ranges no matter the pin set up anyways, but when faced with a 70 yard target and your settling out with the 65, you merely need to have practiced and need to know your hold over with that pin is to compensate the additional 5 yards. All in all, it works awesome for me, and i will not be going back. Sh*tty thing is that i still range estimate using the old 20 30 40 etc etc when i am not able to use the range finder. It could get confusing for you at first but if you try it, it could be just right for ya, you never know..

edit, it is a BEOTCH when your shooting with other guys though...Every one else shoots standard pin set ups, so you always end up practicing bracketing the entire night. All good though, cause you need to shoot mid ranges lots too. You will get to use your pins though, dont fret.... just might have to wait till your alone in the yard to use em is all!!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-16-2008, 10:12 PM

The standard for most is 20, 30, 40, and 50. If you have a very fast bow, you could go 20, 35, 50, and set your last pin for something different. I would recommend you closest pin to the distance of most ranges, which is 20 yards. That way when/if you go to a range to shoot you are all ready to go and not guessing. You cant build confidence if you dont have a consistant shooting distance to at least start your practicing from.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
when your shooting with other guys though...Every one else shoots standard pin set ups, so you always end up practicing bracketing the entire night. All good though, cause you need to shoot mid ranges lots too. You will get to use your pins though, dont fret.... just might have to wait till your alone in the yard to use em is all!!
x2 on that. Most people don't practice mid-pins enough or for that matter at all.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 AM

not to get of topic but i like to practice buy putting my deer target in bush like it was a real hunt,ie behind trees, down hill,out of tree stand what ever.
I find when it`s go time i`m allready programed to shoot around,down whatever is between me and game.Not that i take high risk shots or anything.I just find it helps me more than non game targets.But there fun to i guess.lol

Last edited by jaybull; 04-17-2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: can`t spell to save my life!!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 AM

If your pins are too close together extend sight forward.

I have a very fast setup for 3D (320 fps) and can use 20,30,40,50 and hail mary Put pin just above level in sight!.... If your sit is extended out your pns will increase in distance.

If that does not work then set for 20,40 60 etc.... i like to have them on even increments for ease of memory.

For 3D where max is 50 yards I recommend to most beginners to set for 20 (close) 35 (medium) and far (50 yards) This makes range estimation easy. You only have to look at close, medium, or far and use that pin. If you are debating whether it is close or medium then frame the kill zone with your pins.

This is an easy way to learn how to be within 5 yards with very little practice.. and you won't miss many 8's!

Over time this will fine tune and get better!...
Old 04-17-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
not to get of topic but i like to practice buy putting my deer target in bush like it was a real hunt,ie behind trees, down hill,out of tree stand what ever.
I find when it`s go time i`m allready programed to shoot around,down whatever is between me and game.Not that i take high risk shots or anything.I just find it helps me more than non game targets.But there fun to i guess.lol
Hey they have this new fangled thing you might wanna try - it's called 3D lots o'fun too. Not only that you get exposed to new idea's and get to share knowledge around the campfire!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Hey they have this new fangled thing you might wanna try - it's called 3D lots o'fun too. Not only that you get exposed to new idea's and get to share knowledge around the campfire!
Ya i went to an indoor shoot once 3 years ago.I`m sure theres lots of good guys there but it seems i met the jerks that day.All they had to talk about was how good they were and how everyone wants to hunt with them.Ididn`t even take out my bow.Just kinda faded away from the hole place.Thats when i was starting out with a bow and now i consider myself a well practiced archer and have cleanly harvested 3 big game animals with my bow.Maybe i sould give it another go out here in g.p. last time was in ont. Just don`t have time or people skills to deal with guys that are to good for every one ya know what i`m saying.So it`s not that i live under a rock,just not a social butterfly.Could be why i don`t have a Bowhunting partner.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:08 AM

Grande prairie has a great archery club and they have some great shoots.

one is coming up here in june and i plan to attend. They also have a "Hunter" shoot in august that I understand is a blast as well!...
Old 04-25-2008, 01:56 PM

I would go with 30, 40, 50, 60 depending on what type of hunting you do. Practice at 15 and 20 yards to find out where the arrows will fly.