Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 PM

Recently had the battery replaced in my 6S on the iPhone recall rip off program. New battery is not much better than old battery, doesn’t last 10 minutes in 0 deg C. That’s following a full night of charge to 100%. Really not much better in the heat of summer, shuts down under those conditions as well. Very temperature sensitive!! GARRRRBAGE!!!
Who knows maybe Apple didn’t even change the battery. It has been well documented that Apple rips off IPhone users..
Old 11-15-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Hmm Let's see you are trying to use a 'smart' phone in the bush while it's cold and complaining about the battery not lasting.

and you are trying to get people to use their own devices in some sort of trial and error and post results that would help you out.

Sounds like a real first world problem.

Or you can just leave the dam phone at home for a few hours and go without.

Problem solved.
Lol. How about this:

I happened to live in the northern part of an already cold province. We can easily have subzero temperature 7 months of the year, with 6 pretty much guaranteed every year. This year, it turned to cold in the beginning of September with first snow on the 11th. Four years and a few months ago, it snowed on the 7th day of June. I work outside year round, regardless of the weather. I also like outdoors and used to camp (in a tent) in all kinds of weather and hope to resume this activity when my circumstances allow me to do so. Some of us, when they mature, choose to have a wife and kids (even though it is perfectly fine that you chose otherwise), as it happened with me. Sometimes, being out on a day-long hunt, I would like to call or text my wife midday to see how she is doing and how the kids are (they are 4 and 1 years old). If I harvest an animal at the end of the day, I would like to be able to call her and let her know that I made a kill and now have to get the meat out of the bush and to the vehicle. That way she knows why I am 3+ hours late and not just wondering in the bush, looking a for a way out in the middle of the night, or lying there with a broken leg, etc. I would also like to be able to call my friend(s) when I make a kill to come out and help to get a bull out because they do (as do I when needed) and it simplifies things significantly. The wife would also like to have a peace of mind knowing that she can reach me if needed when I am out in the bush for 10+ hours. Aside from hunting and other outdoor activities that I enjoy, like hiking the bush for 10+ hours after the hunting season, I often walk after I put my half of the kids to sleep (the older one). Sometimes, I walk for a couple of hours, regardless if it is +15C or -30C outside. I enjoy it. Since this is usually a past-10PM starting activity, I would like my wife to be able to reach me if all of a sudden both kids wake up and she needs me to come back and help her deal with it. Or any other reason, for that matter. Overall, I would like to have a phone that actually works in the cold, since I happened to live in the province where it can get cold and even colder for a significant amount of time every year, like I already mentioned.

So having that, I thought I would ask other people who enjoy similar activities, on an outdoorsmen forum I might add, because I am sure many ran into a similar issue and, who knows, maybe someone found a solution.

How is this? Does this help your cause? Working outside on daily basis was an exaggeration, but I know many here do. Everything else is how it is in my life.

Since I live in a real first-world country, "real first world problems" is what I deal with on a daily basis.

If leaving the phone at home "for a few hours" solved my problem, you would be trolling in some other "dam" thread because this one would not exist.

Also, what if being out on a subzero day, I feel the rush to call a friend and explain him/her why, being a right-leaning individual, I voted NDP when I was mad at Harper? Go figure.

I guess, at this point we are back to where we started, if you have nothing to say on the subject, move along and have a good chat elsewhere with something that concerns you and you have something to say or at least be funny if you don't. You can also keep trolling, which is also fine.

P.S. I did not ask people to submerge their "devices" into a toilet for 15 minutes for "some sort of trial and error and post results that would help (me) out". It is pretty easy to leave a phone in a vehicle/garage/on the porch/whatever for a few minutes. It's not like it will break their "device". I agree though, it is easier (maybe?) to troll in threads that do not apparently concern you.

Edit: It has nothing to do with the battery not lasting. It has everything to do with the phone shutting down after 10 minutes of no use in cold weather when it was charge to 100% capacity ten minutes earlier. It happened to every i-device I tested so far.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Time Rut Outdoors View Post
Thanks for the link, but I checked my phone with Apple prior and it does not qualify for this recall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
Just replaced the battery in my 6s and teh cold is essentially no longer a problem. FYI it's under $40 until the new year and then the price doubles
I would probably try and replace the battery, but I do not think we have an authorized place here in town that would do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
I went hunting a couple weeks ago and slept outside in -3, I set the alarm on my iphone 6 before bed and stuffed it into a pair of wool socks. Alarm went off in the morning and it didn't lose anymore battery power than normal.
interesting. I wish that was how my phone worked. I went out back in September (maybe it was beginning of October) to help a guy on an elk hunt and it was +8 or something like that outside. My phone died about 10-15 minutes after it hit +1 or so later in the evening while being stored in the back pocket of my pants. It was fully charged when we headed out. Back in the truck, once it warmed up, it showed the charge of 95%, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Recently had the battery replaced in my 6S on the iPhone recall rip off program. New battery is not much better than old battery, doesn’t last 10 minutes in 0 deg C. That’s following a full night of charge to 100%. Really not much better in the heat of summer, shuts down under those conditions as well. Very temperature sensitive!! GARRRRBAGE!!!
Who knows maybe Apple didn’t even change the battery. It has been well documented that Apple rips off IPhone users..
The same thing a buddy of mine told me in "real life". He had his battery changed and things were exactly the same as they were prior to the replacement. That is why I am skeptical and looking for other solutions.
I have only had my phone overheat when I left it out in the sun, inside the vehicle. I did not have problems with it overheating otherwise.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:24 AM
Banned

all of that because I said leave your phone at home.
My bad i forget Millennials can’t function without them and yes that’s a First world problem.

I feel sorry for people who feel the need to have their phones with them no matter what they are doing.

How did mankind function before the ‘smart’ phone?

Believe it or not before those came about we got along just great. But when Milenials can’t function without a phone no matter what they are doing should say a lot.

Your original post was about you hunting and comparing the batteries to your trail cams. Different devices built differently.
Trail cam, built to stand the weather and be working in said weather.
Smart phone, in your case an iPhone developed in California, where taking cold into account isn’t a priority.

Leaving it at home is the logical solution.
Just because it wasn’t an answer you wanted, doen’t mean I was trolling.
It’s like the guys who lose their phones down a hole ice fishing, or dropped in the lake from the boat or run over it while on a quad.
You don’t have those problems if you simply donn’t have it.
And you won’t die if you can’t update Facebook or your Instagram.

But if you must have a phone with you.
Try any flip phone or rugged phone that isn’t Apple or samsung and you will likely find they work better. Any one that has a removeable battery which you can keep warm in your pocket and put it into phone when you need it.
And if that isn’t good enough for you then I all I can say is I wish you luck.

And don’t worry about the wife and kids, cut the cord as it were, they’ll survive without you for a few hours.

Last edited by ETOWNCANUCK; 11-15-2018 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:08 AM

Luls.

Like I said, I live in a "first-world country" and these are the type of problems I deal with.

I can live without it, just like I can and do without Swarovski optics on my rifle and a range finder that costs $800+. Can I afford it? Yes. Do I need it on my gun for the type of hunting I do? Heck no. I do not need my phone with me at all times, but it is fairly convenient to have one around. And it is the year 2018 last time I checked.

Lol at the idea that the phone was developed in California so it cannot perform in Alberta. Nokia was developed in Finland and someone mentioned it performed the worst in the cold in their experience.

It ain't the same as "the guys who lose their phones down a hole ice fishing, or dropped in the lake from the boat or run over it while on a quad".

I don't have a Facebook account; neither do I have an Instagram account.

All you could have posted is that a "flip-phone" would work much better for me, which is actually the solution I am leaning towards now. Yet, I would rather not own two phones and having to swipe the sim card around; I do need a smartphone for my work and if there is one that can stand the cold, I would undoubtedly choose that one.

My wife and kids surviving vs. living and doing well are very different things in my world. You can keep on keeping on though.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Luls.

Like I said, I live in a "first-world country" and these are the type of problems I deal with.

I can live without it, just like I can and do without Swarovski optics on my rifle and a range finder that costs $800+. Can I afford it? Yes. Do I need it on my gun for the type of hunting I do? Heck no. I do not need my phone with me at all times, but it is fairly convenient to have one around. And it is the year 2018 last time I checked.

Lol at the idea that the phone was developed in California so it cannot perform in Alberta. Nokia was developed in Finland and someone mentioned it performed the worst in the cold in their experience.

It ain't the same as "the guys who lose their phones down a hole ice fishing, or dropped in the lake from the boat or run over it while on a quad".

I don't have a Facebook account; neither do I have an Instagram account.

All you could have posted is that a "flip-phone" would work much better for me, which is actually the solution I am leaning towards now. Yet, I would rather not own two phones and having to swipe the sim card around; I do need a smartphone for my work and if there is one that can stand the cold, I would undoubtedly choose that one.

My wife and kids surviving vs. living and doing well are very different things in my world. You can keep on keeping on though.
Apple developed in California VS Nokia and Finland and I have to explain the difference?
OK
One is an incredible warm all year round State and the other is a generally cold country most of the time.
One is primarily a camera, the other is a phone and camera second.
Which in itself is a joke.

My answer of leaving the phone at home is a practical one even if it is 2018.
In fact it is the most obvious one.
You didn’t like it and proceeded to go off on me when I offered a practical solution based on the info I had.
Seemed simple enough.
Then you went into a little more detail, which if you had led with all of that initially , would have yielded a better response.
What’’s wrong with two cell phones? It answers your needs, sometimes you will use the flip when it’s cold and other times you use the smart phone.
Don’t need to swap SIM cards, Have the flip as a pay as you go.
You can still have it with you, check on the wife and kids and text your buddy.

You don’t get the ‘ First World ‘ jokes it’s ok.
Complaint about your cell phone in the cold is an example of those jokes.

Convenience and practical are two different things and some times what is convenient isn’t always practical.

We get dependent on these devices that control our lives, and forget that 20 years ago they weren’t common and we had to make do without them and somehow things got done. Which was the basis for my first answer. I thought you would have been an older generation and not get offended by it.

I’m lucky I did the whole marriage thing and escaped without kids.
I’m no longer institutionalized and don’t have to do the phone calls with the warden while out on a day pass.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:28 AM
Banned

using an external power pack helps apparently have it tucked away somewhere so protected from the direct cold.