Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 08:01 AM

Default Every now and then things work out

For Calgarians who somehow believe that they are the only ones that should have a say in the Olympicc proposal, I hope they consider the other 33,000,000 that are paying most of the money.
You are not alone in this country.

Don

And for a little history. Here is a city that got the Olympics figured out.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...-and-economics
Old 11-12-2018, 08:09 AM

While the rest of the nation would be contributing, some of that money is from existing allotments in the Federal budget. If Calgary decides to submit a bid and gets selected to host by the IOC ( not guaranteed due to the other bid) then Calgarians would be paying in our municipal taxes, our provincial taxes and our federal taxes. Per capita we'd be paying much more than Canadians living elsewhere, though other Albertans would come in second so far as percentage of their contribution.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:15 AM

Gawd...Nenshi cant help spend money, whether he (read: us!!) has it or not
Old 11-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
While the rest of the nation would be contributing, some of that money is from existing allotments in the Federal budget. If Calgary decides to submit a bid and gets selected to host by the IOC ( not guaranteed due to the other bid) then Calgarians would be paying in our municipal taxes, our provincial taxes and our federal taxes. Per capita we'd be paying much more than Canadians living elsewhere, though other Albertans would come in second so far as percentage of their contribution.
..............so where do you think the 'existing allotments' came from?
Old 11-12-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
..............so where do you think the 'existing allotments' came from?
From the portion of the federal budget dedicated to sport thats already collected from everyone regardless of what province it gets spent in, whether or not we have an Olympic bid submitted, be it in BC, Alberta, Quebec or PEI for that matter. If money is not going to Quebec for once that would be a nice change, don’t you think? FWIW I’m not for the Olympic bid as it is, there’s already too much cover-up’s and lies surrounding it. I would not trust the majority of our city hall councillors to organize a pick-up hockey game. If we do get it though, then some of that federal money would be spent locally for once, I’d consider that as a tiny smidgeon of equalization payback. No way in heck would I feel even the slightest bit bad about Ontario and Quebec taxpayers having to chip in. That tax is coming from your pay whether or not we even submit a bid, never mind if we win the bid. Would you not prefer it be spent at your neighbors place than the province that Yo-Yo’s on separation every couple of decades, or the that same province and the other one that both block pipelines?

Do you think Nove Scotia should have a vote in how federal money is spent in Sask? That’s basically what you’re proposing, inverted.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 11-12-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
While this is true, Calgarians would also see what, 80% of the benefit the games would bring in? There are going to be no legacy projects, no infrastructure improvements, no affordable housing etc., etc. in Red Deer for my 2/3.

If there was real leadership in council, this would be a no brainer. Hosting the Olympic, injecting money into the economy, creating jobs, improving infrastructure, building/improving legacy projects, etc. for a quarter on the dollar. I find it disappointing, I'd be leery of our local council as well, I'm by no means belittling Calgarians, that there is so little faith in government that this isn't viewed as a great opportunity but rather the opportunity for council to spend millions, perhaps hundreds of millions, with little to no accountability. On a personal note, I'd be curious what the vote result would be if Mr. Klein was mayor as opposed to the existing council.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
To be your foil, Edmontonians and other Albertans would have essentially no direct benefit. None. Yet, we'd be paying.

You guys in Calgary would have crashed this website if the province gave hundreds of millions to Rogers Place. That's a fact and you know it to be true
Old 11-13-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
To be your foil, Edmontonians and other Albertans would have essentially no direct benefit. None. Yet, we'd be paying.

You guys in Calgary would have crashed this website if the province gave hundreds of millions to Rogers Place. That's a fact and you know it to be true

That’s not being my foil repeating what I said

Benefits to other Albertans would be the construction jobs open to anyone (people could move down to a better looking city that’s not dead-flat and has things called a ‘view’ outside of the river valley). There will be jobs in Canmore and Cochranites will likely work in either direction. Also, don’t forget the trickle down of the provincial taxes paid on all those construction and management jobs which will wind up redistributed everywhere in the province (and how much of that $$ came from Ontario & Quebec) . Edmonton steel outfits and the plywood plant would surely have some sales. It wouldn’t be massive, but it certainly wouldn’t be zero. I’m voting no based on the zero faith I have in our city hall and the IOC, but one does have to take everything into consideration when making a decision.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

The real scary part is tbe Edmonton/Calgary “me too” BS. If one city gets something the other yodels out “me too”.

The 1/3 of Alberta not part of the Me Too movement are getting damned tired of paying for the silliness.

Don
Old 11-13-2018, 08:58 AM

Agreed. The problem is more than 2/3 of population is centred in those two cities. How do you dole out the rest and it be tangible and equal. One of the challenges any govt faces. I don't know the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
The real scary part is tbe Edmonton/Calgary “me too” BS. If one city gets something the other yodels out “me too”.

The 1/3 of Alberta not part of the Me Too movement are getting damned tired of paying for the silliness.

Don
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2018, 08:59 AM

I would vote no if it were in my city too. Pixie dust promises that leave a battery acid aftertaste.
Quote:
That’s not being my foil repeating what I said

Benefits to other Albertans would be the construction jobs open to anyone (people could move down to a better looking city that’s not dead-flat and has things called a ‘view’ outside of the river valley). There will be jobs in Canmore and Cochranites will likely work in either direction. Also, don’t forget the trickle down of the provincial taxes paid on all those construction and management jobs which will wind up redistributed everywhere in the province (and how much of that $$ came from Ontario & Quebec) . Edmonton steel outfits and the plywood plant would surely have some sales. It wouldn’t be massive, but it certainly wouldn’t be zero. I’m voting no based on the zero faith I have in our city hall and the IOC, but one does have to take everything into consideration when making a decision.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2018, 04:07 PM

Retarded in this "Alberta Recession" where there is no money for schools, hospitals, war veterans, ect ect, that we would even consider this as an option. We are so far in debt right now why would we add this onto the pile? What is the long term benefit for Alberta? The math doesn't add up Don, and I agree the stupidity of this province has to stop, provincially and municipally. Pay for the needs, before you empty your wallet on wants.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:54 PM

Default More Lunacy

The City of Edmonton is spending $211 Million on the northeast Transit centre (Bus garage)….under construction right now.

Then there is the $300+ million recreation centre that some residents hope will be built in Edmonton's Lewis estates...

Western Canada select trades for around $15/bbl....vs WTI of $55 today.
The federal liberals and the provincial NDP haven't read the news I suppose....