Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2012, 01:38 PM

Default Wild hog hunting

Does anyone have any info about wild hogs in alberta? Is there a season?
Has anyone heard of them being taken, if so where are they? I heard around wabamun, mayerthorpe area there are some hogs being seen?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 PM

contact buckbrushoutdoors via PM he will point you in the right direction!...he loves talking pigs!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Wild Boar are considered a pest where at large.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/rsb12565

Must be killed by landowner. No season, no tags, just fill yer boots as long as you have permission to be on the property.

As for where they are you have pretty much hit the main areas.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:08 PM

Contact those Fish and Wildlife office's(310-0000) and talk to CO officer and yes to hunting and people getting pigs
Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 PM

A friend of mine has some on his trail cam. First time. Looks like the pigs have moved into his grandpas farm. So far they come in only at night and they come from the adjacent property. He is working on permission from the neighbors and building a blind. He is trying to see how many there are. Seems to be only a couple right now. I might be joining him when he decides to go after them. The list of "take me with you" when you go is getting big.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:50 PM

I'm not the pig guy lol that would be Steve. But start your search in that mayerthorpe area and knock on doors of farmers that have thick bush and swamp on there land
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Wild hog being a pest, can dog (dogs) be used to hunt them?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM

Has anyone ever been to Hogwild hunting pigs? Experience? How much is it ? I was thinking of taking my dad for his 70th birthday and he always wanted to go pig hunting? Please help me out. Thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
Not sure, but you'd really have to hate your dog to send em in after pigs I think.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
Has anyone ever been to Hogwild hunting pigs? Experience? How much is it ? I was thinking of taking my dad for his 70th birthday and he always wanted to go pig hunting? Please help me out. Thanks
www.hogwild.ab.ca Call Earl Hagman and tell him Gavin sent you: 780-786-4627

If anyone can set up your old man for a hunt to remember he sure can! He's had many hunters come in disabled and have a great hunt.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Videos I've seen use pit bulls in kevlar vests to get the pig out and hold them down. If you want to use dogs to hunt them, get those dogs trained and get them equipped for it, otherwise you'll be filling their graves at the end of the hunt.

Wild pigs aren't the fat pink squealers you find in a kiddie book; these things can kill lions.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762Russian View Post
Videos I've seen use pit bulls in kevlar vests to get the pig out and hold them down. If you want to use dogs to hunt them, get those dogs trained and get them equipped for it, otherwise you'll be filling their graves at the end of the hunt.

Wild pigs aren't the fat pink squealers you find in a kiddie book; these things can kill lions.
Very true! Those pit bulls and catahoulas that they use aren't nice pets that double as hog dogs!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 PM

i went hog hunting in florida a few weeks ago... the bull dog that we were using got gored 3 by the boar i took, didnt seem to phase that dog one bit, he didnt have a vest on or anything... those dogs are pretty tough
Old 01-20-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Yes. Using dogs to hunt feral pigs in Alberta is legal.

Anybody get one this winter?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
But start your search in that mayerthorpe area and knock on doors of farmers that have thick bush and swamp on there land
Guess again... Mayerthorpe area...haven't seen a pig anywhere all year . Suspect that the deep snow last winter and the heavy influx of wolves this past year has moved them out. Probably east and south. Checked all the nesting areas last spring and nothing..nada. Couple of bone piles.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmbach View Post
Guess again... Mayerthorpe area...haven't seen a pig anywhere all year . Suspect that the deep snow last winter and the heavy influx of wolves this past year has moved them out. Probably east and south. Checked all the nesting areas last spring and nothing..nada. Couple of bone piles.
So true, never ceases to amaze me how much money people will spend looking though. In the end I could garauntee you a better weekend staying at Hog Wild for much less than you would spend after staying at hotels and paying for fuel driving around.

Most people end up near the farm and many have shot pigs from the pens. Game Wardens and Police are aware of the problem in the area and watching just so anyone knows if they get antsy and try shooting pigs in the pen, or on property they don't have permission hunting on. We have permission on all the surrounding property and even with the time we spent over the years this year is the first we ever took 2 pigs off. The only reason we spend the time is we get a free stay and we're hunting deer and elk. Out of all the hunters we have hunting there pigs are rarely seen even around the surrounding area.

They (escaped pigs) are there due to people cutting fences for free pig meat. Always awesome how the blame falls back onto the owner when that happens! So much always left untold on the other side of the fence....

Let me know if you and some friends may be interested and I can make sure you and your group have a fine time and I might even be abled to meet up and guide your group at the same time.

Gavin
Old 01-21-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmbach View Post

Hmm weired, Hide your spots and I will hide mine.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Grande Prairie Area has some..one of my buddies shot 2 this year. 1 of them earlier in the season with his bow. The other later in the fall with a rifle. Both big hogs.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
contact buckbrushoutdoors via PM he will point you in the right direction!...he loves talking pigs!
X2 the guy must have been a hog in a previous life.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
X2 the guy must have been a hog in a previous life.
X3 buckbrush knows his boars, he helped me get on my first pig!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.born.fawn.killer View Post
X3 buckbrush knows his boars, he helped me get on my first pig!
Has he started his AB hog outfitting business north of stoney plain yet?....or is he still taking guys out for free?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Has he started his AB hog outfitting business north of stoney plain yet?....or is he still taking guys out for free?
I mentioned how I would like to get on a hog to buckbrush last year. Well didn't take long for him to get a hold of me. He is an old hog master, and took to a good spot for my first hog experience just before christmas. Man does he know pigs!