Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-01-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
There is a700 in town in 30-06. I'm not sure I want to spend $975. for a 50 year old rifle with a vintage micro trac scope thats on consignment. For a bit more I can get a Tikka or XBolt new.
Would you buy it?

Xbolt....shiver.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:18 PM

Default Go with the Sako

I have owned a Sako 85 grey wolf in .300 wsm for a good while now and for what you describe it is a beautiful rifle. One of the smoothest bolts I have ever seen and a nice heft to it that makes it seem like you're getting your money's worth. Accurate rifle as well. As others have mentioned nothing wrong with a Tikka per say as a cheaper option but you only live once. Buy the Sako
Old 08-02-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I have the 85 and the Tikka t3 both rifles are awesome. The real test is how they feel in your hand. I will admit the Tikka does fit me minuscule better but if I were getting a harder recoiling rifle or doing spot and stock where I may be out of breath, I would stick with the Sako. The extra pound or two will be a benefit vs a hinderance to me anyhow. Resale would also be higher. I am running after market Leupold?? tapered Sako rings on the 85 they work just fine. I am not a big fan of the Opti locks.
Fit and fell is definitely personal.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils View Post
I have owned a Sako 85 grey wolf in .300 wsm for a good while now and for what you describe it is a beautiful rifle. One of the smoothest bolts I have ever seen and a nice heft to it that makes it seem like you're getting your money's worth. Accurate rifle as well. As others have mentioned nothing wrong with a Tikka per say as a cheaper option but you only live once. Buy the Sako

I second this, with the only difference is that mine is chambered in .338. I love my Sako 85 grey wolf; Absolutely gorgeous rifle, shoots great and love how smooth the action is.

Get the Sako and enjoy a quality made, gorgeous rifle for the rest of your life!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2023, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
There's a lefty Sako 85 listed on Gunnutz in the last couple days.
This my choice. I do have 3 85's, hard to beat for a factory rifle.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King