Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-17-2022, 08:35 AM

Default 45-70 Long range target bullet options

I have always wanted a falling block single shot 45-70 target rifle. The lever guns I had chambered in the 45-70 got old with me. So I pulled the plug and ordered one of these...

It is a Chiappa Sharps Down Under with the 34" octagonal barrel.

So the bullet I loaded for the lever bear busters was the Campro 300gr blunt nose bullet. I met a fellow at the range a while back who had one of these single shot falling block rifles. He was using a more aerodynamic bullet. But I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I will probably shoot the loads I have made up that are left over from the SBL's to begin with. But I know this bullet is not ideal.

I am wondering what bullet those of you out there who have experience with long range 45-70 target shooting are using. And where you got them. Any help is appreciated.

Andy 6MT
Old 10-17-2022, 08:47 AM

Bullet Barn and Jet Bullets are two sources for some heavy round nose bullets for single shot rifles. The 45-70 Postell bullet is perfect for extended range steel or even hunting. The lead is relatively soft and you won't be driving them very fast. Think Black powder velocities.

Colin
Old 10-17-2022, 09:43 AM

Just to correct the text above and clarify...I will not be shooting any "bear busting loads" in the new rifle. But I will probably use the Campro 300gr flat nose bullets to begin with. That's what I'm asking about.

And I won't be shooting with black powder.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Andy 6MT
Old 10-17-2022, 09:54 AM

I shot 535 gr Postells that I cast in a Lyman mold. Could hit rocks (well, maybe boulders) with my black powder reloads as far as 735 yds, which was as high as I could raise the tang sight on my Pedersoli Sharps 45-70.

I sold the P-Sharps as I soon got tired of getting pounded by the steel butt plate and poor stock design, despite the 12# gun weight. A good recoil pad and better stock comb likely would have made it tolerable.

Have fun with it!
Old 10-17-2022, 10:10 AM

I have owned and shot 45/70 , 45/110 Sharps and a 50/140 roller, but much prefered my 40/65 Highwall and have just decided to sell my 40/65 Sharps !
I have both greaser and paper patch molds for it.
I have never shot Smokeless out of these guns though, everything has been black powder .
The 45's shot big Postells and Shaver style bullets .
Cat
Old 10-17-2022, 10:37 AM

Welcome to the game Andy!!!
Rather not see you bespoil such a nice rifle with smokeless powder!!! And jacketed bullets? Blasphemy!!
Old 10-17-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Welcome to the game Andy!!!
Rather not see you bespoil such a nice rifle with smokeless powder!!! And jacketed bullets? Blasphemy!!
Thanks Darrell. I met a fellow at the range about a month ago who was shooting jacketed bullets with his 1874 Sharps. I had a close look at the bullets he was using. They had a pointed tip. That's what I am looking for...something a bit more aerodynamic then the Campro flat nose that I shot from the 1895 SBR's.

This fellow was having great success with smokeless powder (IMR4198). He was making consistent hits out to 500m. He did have the Creedmoor peep tang sights. He offered me to try it out. I declined, now I'm kicking myself. In hindsight, I would have loved to try it out.

So I am looking forward to this new adventure. I just need a bit of help choosing a bullet. I also believe that modern replica 1874 falling block actions are a little bit stronger then back in the day.

Andy 6MT
Old 10-17-2022, 12:08 PM

You’re looking for a postell style bullet. I believe both jet bullets and bullet barn have molds for them.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:51 PM

Can’t seem to edit my post but if you’re set on jacketed bullets then barnes original or hawk bullets both offer spitzer type in .458
Old 10-17-2022, 01:13 PM

Yeah, I just noticed that. In fact, I think this is the very bullet that the fellow I met at the range was using.

CamPro 45cal (.458") 350gr RS-Spitzer

Andy 6MT
Old 10-17-2022, 01:47 PM

Am I on the right track with these Spitzers?

Andy 6MT
Old 10-17-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Am I on the right track with these Spitzers?

Andy 6MT
Personally speaking, Harps falling blocks , Smokeless powder and jacketed bullets are so far out of my wheel house I need to pack a lunch to get there!
I have never shot either in any of mine except for my original 1885 Shuetzen Highwall and even then it wad 4759 and cast bullets!
Cat
Old 10-17-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Personally speaking, Harps falling blocks , Smokeless powder and jacketed bullets are so far out of my wheel house I need to pack a lunch to get there!
I have never shot either in any of mine except for my original 1885 Shuetzen Highwall and even then it wad 4759 and cast bullets!
Cat
Thanks for that, good to know.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:17 PM

My personnal experience is your to light a bullet for long range. I wouldn't go lighter than a 405 cast flat point bullet and you can go very heavy 550 casts is the heaviest ive shot in
45-70. In my 45-100 ive tried 650 grain paper patched but just more for the fun of it.
What your shooting there I've never tried in any of my Sharps, Rollers, Trapdoors or Spencer so good luck with your trials.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 10-17-2022, 06:04 PM

Hornady makes a polymer tipped ftx in 325 grain that might work.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that, good to know.
I do know a few guys up here who shoot jacketed bullets and smokeless on their Sharps rifles, but for me, the whole idea of the Sharps is the easy breech block tear down for cleaning , otherwise I would probably stick to 1885's and rollers!
Cat
Old 10-17-2022, 06:46 PM

I would agree that the 350s are probably a bit light for the application, velocity is not what you’re looking for here. I do shoot smokeless in my Shiloh and have had very good results with a 485 cast/gc from jet bullets that I had leftover from my 458 win. I do intend to give the heavier postel style a try when I run out of the others.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:08 PM

Smacks of blasphemy...
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-17-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Smacks of blasphemy...
I’ll let you all know how it goes.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
As long as it is fun for you, SEND IT!
Cat
Old 10-18-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Cool, I am interested!

But... I also know that rifleman achieved remarkable long range (1,000 yard) accuracy with .45-70 shooting the old style cast bullets, black powder, 1300fps type muzzle velocities. Way back in the day, like 1885-1900 era.

If you are going to use jacketed bullets, but still shoot them at that 1300fps mv, I guess the theory is that you will achieve better accuracy?

I suppose better ballistic coefficients and all that ballistic masturbation type stuff. Mad fun.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-18-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
As long as it is fun for you, SEND IT!
Cat
Well...i would think that's what this hobby is all about.

As far as the naysayers about sticking to tradition goes...I've never gone down that path. Although I do draw the line at certain things. But I will never criticize anyone for doing what they want to do in this hobby. (Not that there are any of those people here...).

I've chosen smokeless powder for this as my choice. I've chosen jacketed bullets as my choice. Heck, I even chose the damn rifle as my choice. I would hope that observers would respect those choices. But dont worry....I won't scope this rifle .

Last edited by 6MT; 10-18-2022 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:08 AM

Well, I hope you get it working good...and knowing you it will come together easily. Hope to see it out here one day. I'm retired now, so the range is usually open!!
Old 10-18-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Well, I hope you get it working good...and knowing you it will come together easily. Hope to see it out here one day. I'm retired now, so the range is usually open!!
That's awesome Darrell!! I have extended my retirement date now three times and the time line over a year. But, I have set a final date to March 31. This time, no exceptions because I'll be out of the country.

I hope to get up to see you some time in the spring I would think. I want to see your 45-70 too.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:23 AM

Jacketed bullets and smokeless are great in thee old sharps.
Though you are light for caliber for long range.
Try and get close to 500gr
Old 10-18-2022, 09:33 AM

I wasn’t aware that campro was making the spitzer bullets in 458, I see they have heavier ones as well. I might have to try those out.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:06 PM

From all the guys that come to our range with 45-70's trying to shoot the Buffalo (big steel buffalo at 800) the most consistent and succesful shootwra are shooting heavy cast bullets around 500 grains. Iv seen the one guy make hits at 1100 with his 45-70 and I believe hes using postel style bullets and varget. If I were you I'd see what jet bullets or prairie projectiles can get for a 500 gr postel bullet.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-18-2022, 07:51 PM

http://researchpress.co.uk/index.php...andy-hook-1879

^ I thought this was crazy nutso type stuff! 2 miles!!

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-23-2022, 12:38 PM

You guys talking about this really makes me tempted to try to get my Guide gun out to 300 somewhat accurately. lol, darn the fun of ballistics and accuracy !
Old 10-23-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
I wasn’t aware that campro was making the spitzer bullets in 458, I see they have heavier ones as well. I might have to try those out.
They just advertise as SOCOM bullets so someone doesn't load pointy bullets in a tube.