Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-24-2021, 09:02 AM

Default New scope recommendation 308 working gun

to piggy back the 7mm optics suggestions, what are thoughts on more budget optics. Best bang for the money for a hunting rifle in 308? I really like the Vortex optics but love to hear some opinions
Old 12-24-2021, 09:19 AM

You can't really go wrong with a used Leupold. For much less money, you could consider a Bushnell Scopechief VI. B&L made in Japan. I have a few and the glass is excellent. A used Burris FF would also be good.
Vance
PS I don't have much experience with Vortex so can't comment
Old 12-24-2021, 09:39 AM

On my "working" .308 ( 20" carbine) I have a bushnell DOA 200. This scope is designed for shot guns but has been flawless for the last 5-6 years. It's a 2-7 set extremely low on the receiver. With my load and zero I have mpbr just under 300. The hash above zero is almost bang on at 50yds on 2x. My lower hash Marks on 7x are 350, and 470. I hunt with it on 2x and have a 50yd hash and can easily shoot PB on deer to 300. Crank it to 7x and shoot longer.. I bought the scope at CT for 60$...here's the story..just happened by the scope cage and noticed it on the shelf priced at $260.. I noticed the box was tapped shut. Upon opening it I noticed it was a return. Ring Marks and missing turret caps. Asked if there was another in stock..nope! And not stocking the item any more...I asked for a manager...bargained down to 60$ and final sale no refund.. bushnell has a great warranty so wasnt concerned if it was actually broken.. any ways it worked fine bushnell sent me new caps free of charge and it's been on the gun ever since. One of the best deals I've ever had lol. Even at 260$ it would be a decent scope but I'm sure you could find a better deal around.. an older bushnell or B&L 4x is another great option for a working .308

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2021, 09:49 AM

I have had a number if Leupolds on my Ruger single shot since 2009- it's nit a 308 but it runs 150's at 308 velocities.
Mostly 4x's , but a couple of 6x's, and my latest which is ax1.5-4x
All worked flawlessly from 25 to over 300 yards
However , if I found a 3-9x Scope Chief I would not hesitate to use it on thaf rifle - or any other for that matter.
I have seen a number of Vortex scores with issues, but at the sane time I have spoken with lots of hunters who love them.
Cat
Old 12-24-2021, 10:00 AM

I would NOT suggest Vortex. Seems to me too many people have too many issues with that brand. You are better off with Leopold by a long shot.

When you say "budget" scope - what's the intended price range? If it's under $400 it doesn't matter a whole lot - look for the features and magnification you want and go with that. These really are better suited for rim fires - you truly get what you pay for and a few hundred bucks more gets you into a totally better level of optics.

If your budget is $600-$900 then something in the Leopold line is what I'd suggest. That is, IMO, the starting point of getting reasonably good glass and if your budgets allows for that - that's where I'd start.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:46 AM

For a working 308? I’d find a 1-6, fixed 4x or 6x. Out if the box though depending on the range your looking at a red dot may fit.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:50 AM

If you search Vortex on AO you will find a TON of stories that will likely convince you to buy something else for a hunting rifle. If Binos go south, no big deal, if your scope does, you are done.

Like the others have said, Leupold, higher end Bushnell, Zeiss Z4 and Swaro Z3, and the New Redfield line owned by Leupold, can all be had for 5-1000 bucks. There are a ton of good used that show up on here and on Gunnutz.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:19 PM

I would say if you are buying new, a great scope for the money is the Leupold VX Freedom line.

If used, there is a Bushnell Elite 2.5-10x40 new in the box on CGN for $350. That’s a good scope for the money. Depending on who you talk to, it is either a 4200 or a 4500, with both having good glass.

I have one and have zero complaints about it. In fact, I really like it.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter55 View Post
to piggy back the 7mm optics suggestions, what are thoughts on more budget optics. Best bang for the money for a hunting rifle in 308? I really like the Vortex optics but love to hear some opinions
I have a 308 "working rifle" with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 mounted on it. I like the 1 power in the bush. I've had nothing but good experiences with Vortex.

However using a Vortex will make you no where as cool as the others on this forum and some may thumb their nose at you
Old 12-24-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I have a 308 "working rifle" with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 mounted on it. I like the 1 power in the bush. I've had nothing but good experiences with Vortex.
I do not like the eye box or the reticles on the Votex scopes, and i have tried a lot of them, nothing to do with being cool!
I much prefer the Leupold scopes.
Cat
Old 12-24-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post

However using a Vortex will make you no where as cool as the others on this forum and some may thumb their nose at you
Nothing to do with being cool. I have had a handful over the years, and they have all been ok, with eye relief being the biggest issue.

It is about asking yourself if you want to buy a product that has built in a no questions asked, over the counter replacement policy, as part of their business plan. Many people don’t.

Just too many issues with them.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:49 PM

Older bushnell Elite 4200 are nice scopes. Good glass. Made in Japan at LOW.
If you can find one, it would be a good choice. I like the ones that I have.

Older bushnell Elite 4500 are also nice. Had one but sold it with rifle. Country of origin varies or so I have read. Mine was made in Japan. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 4500 of that vintage.

I have a couple of Elite 3500's. Mine are made in Japan. Can't comment on them in low light conditions as they only see range and gopher usage. Excellent for that.

Older Zeiss Conquest MC would be another good choice. I've got a 3-9x that is good glass.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:59 PM

What is a “working rifle”?

There are no absolutes
Old 12-24-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The opposite of 'too cute to shoot'.

Something you can scratch and not worry about.
That's how I see it.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:11 PM

I like the idea of a red dot on a 308 hunting rifle. I have often used a hunting gun rigged w red dot over the years and havent felt I needed more( at least for my hunting style now) my favorite is a cheap bushnell tr25 mounted so close to the chamber as possible. Zero for mpbr and just point and shoot. They make the rifle balance really well and reduce weight and bulk. A fire dot type scope is also a great choice.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2021, 01:21 PM

Put a 2-7x Leupold on it and get to shooting.

https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-2-7x33-hunt-plex

There are no absolutes
Old 12-24-2021, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Nothing to do with being cool. I have had a handful over the years, and they have all been ok, with eye relief being the biggest issue.

It is about asking yourself if you want to buy a product that has built in a no questions asked, over the counter replacement policy, as part of their business plan. Many people don’t.

Just too many issues with them.
Do they even do over the counter replacements anymore?
Old 12-24-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I'd call that a truck or yard gun.
One that is more often loaded than empty and rarely locked up.
Mine's a Ruger Scout that gets used for killng anything that needs killing.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:40 PM

I’d look at a 1.25-4 leupold. I have two, one freedom line and one vxr line up. I have them on my pump action rifles. Work flawlessly for up close, quick handling close quarters but still able to poke 2-300 yards easy. Both zeroed at 200.

I wish Leupold would come out with a 1.25-6 range that was more affordable. I have a Huskemaw 1-6 on its way that’s still illuminated for my future truck gun in the making.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:52 PM

Leupold VX3/3i 3.5-10 are pretty common in the 5-550 range used and they're a better scope than the second best in the Vortex line, the Viper.

Just me personally regarding Vortex but they don't make one model better optically or construction wise than others you can buy cheaper. Leupold HD, Swarovski and Zeiss are cheaper and they punt Razors.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Put a 2-7x Leupold on it and get to shooting.

https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-2-7x33-hunt-plex
Just put this on the wife’s rifle. Great glass and its only 11 oz.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Just put this on the wife’s rifle. Great glass and its only 11 oz.
nice piece of glass; I am leaning that way for sure. I came across a Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x during some gun trading yesterday. It might fit the bill for a 308; I have a 300 WM I am looking to get some good glass for as well. I know most scope companies advertise they test the optics with big magnums but I think I'd be a more picky
Old 01-01-2022, 02:35 PM

I would consider a Burris. Somewhere in the lineup there’s one that fits whatever you are prepared to spend. If you can spend enough to get into the Signature series they have some awesome glass.
I don’t know that I would rule out Vortex they do make some good optics. They do have warranty issues no question about it, I would guess in recent years they have a lot more of them out in the field too though. I have a Viper series one that I’m happy with. Also have Binos and rangefinder from them that have a few seasons on them. I would have to admit though that I feel more confident in the quality of the Burris. Lots of good advice been given from others on here the old Japanese Bushnell Scope Chiefs were great, if you can find one. I have a Elite 4500 2.5-10x40 on my main gun that is a a Sako A7 .308, I like it just fine won’t be changing it out.

A used Leupold if fits your budget is a good bet. Not sure how excited I’d get for their entry line of scopes, but their VX series are excellent. Good luck in the search.

Ken
Old 01-02-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
I would consider a Burris. Somewhere in the lineup there’s one that fits whatever you are prepared to spend. If you can spend enough to get into the Signature series they have some awesome glass.
I don’t know that I would rule out Vortex they do make some good optics. They do have warranty issues no question about it, I would guess in recent years they have a lot more of them out in the field too though. I have a Viper series one that I’m happy with. Also have Binos and rangefinder from them that have a few seasons on them. I would have to admit though that I feel more confident in the quality of the Burris. Lots of good advice been given from others on here the old Japanese Bushnell Scope Chiefs were great, if you can find one. I have a Elite 4500 2.5-10x40 on my main gun that is a a Sako A7 .308, I like it just fine won’t be changing it out.

A used Leupold if fits your budget is a good bet. Not sure how excited I’d get for their entry line of scopes, but their VX series are excellent. Good luck in the search.

Ken
I just bought 2 Burris Signature HD models. For my 308, a 2-10x40. At 2x, has a field of view of 54ft.@ 100 yds which is pretty damn wide. Short, compact and light, I think its perfect for a 308, which I will probably never shoot past 300 yds. Under $600 inc. GST.
Also bought a Signature HD in 3-15x44. Has side focus and low- profile ext. turrets (like the 2-10). Plan to mount on a Vanguard in 30-06 which I consider capable of making longer shots. Under $800 inc. GST. Both seem to have pretty good glass I would compare with Leupold VXII.
I used to use mostly Nikon Monarchs but we know how that went. For today's money, I'd say Burris Signature HD is a fair comparison, and maybe even better.

Last edited by gunluvr; 01-02-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:14 PM

Vintage Redfield Lo pro 4x duplex for sale on EE. (Spurly)

Great scope and all you will ever need on a truck gun.

If it were 6x with a target dot it would be gone.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:39 PM

I don’t consider my Savage 99f a working gun, but a proven hunting rifle. It has put meat on the table for my dad and now me for 70 years. Anyway it has worn an M8-4x Leupold 4x since my dads time and has never given me one once of trouble. So all my guns wear Leupold. That’s my vote on brand and durability. The number you want is your preference I think.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I would NOT suggest Vortex. Seems to me too many people have too many issues with that brand. You are better off with Leopold by a long shot.

When you say "budget" scope - what's the intended price range? If it's under $400 it doesn't matter a whole lot - look for the features and magnification you want and go with that. These really are better suited for rim fires - you truly get what you pay for and a few hundred bucks more gets you into a totally better level of optics.

If your budget is $600-$900 then something in the Leopold line is what I'd suggest. That is, IMO, the starting point of getting reasonably good glass and if your budgets allows for that - that's where I'd start.
I second this. Yes the Vortex warranty is top notch but have you heard of anyone with a Vortex product that didn’t need the warranty? Warranty doesn’t do you much good when the product is at the repair shop or in the mail and you need it. Shoot every moving part on my Vortex binoculars has had issues. Sent it to the shop and they did fix some still a major PITA. Yes the glass is good but the mechanical parts are next level cheap.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I do not like the eye box or the reticles on the Votex scopes, and i have tried a lot of them, nothing to do with being cool!
I much prefer the Leupold scopes.
Cat
The master has spoken,listen to him.Leupold make a great scope with a bullet proof warranty.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:50 PM

I like vortex optics in their higher end ones, but found that the budget ones are not very good. As others have stated look at all the ones for sale, crossfire, diamondback... or marked new in box, meaning just back from a warranty exchange.

Leupold has some great budget ones. Look for a used vx2, or even vx1 if you want.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:35 PM

I run a 6x Leupold .

When it comes to shooting the are so many scopes to choose from now it’s almost mind boggling . Buy the absolute best that you can afford . And only you can determine that .