Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-22-2021, 10:36 PM

Default Used Handgun prices after election?

Curious if used handgun prices will drop due to the buyer taking a risk on a possible handgun ban?

Any thoughts on this?
I have my eye on one.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 09-23-2021, 04:35 AM

I think it's unlikely that you're going to find many "bargains" due to talk of bans. Best advice is to buy and enjoy while you can, no one knows what the future of gun ownership in this country is. Got your eye on something? Own it and enjoy while you can.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:27 AM

I figure everyone should be buying handguns and ammo while they can still be had. Ban be damned, don't comply. You will be glad to have them. Same as ARs.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-23-2021, 09:36 AM

I figure if they come for my guns and ammo i'll be givin them the ammo first...
Old 09-23-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I figure everyone should be buying handguns and ammo while they can still be had. Ban be damned, don't comply. You will be glad to have them. Same as ARs.
It’s fine to say you won’t comply but in reality when it’s restricted and registered and they come knocking on your door what do you do? At that point your in possession of a prohibited firearm and the gestapo is liable to take all your guns, not just the prohibited.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:02 PM

I'm already in possession of a prohib firearm and a criminal thanks to the OIC, and I am getting a decision tomorrow morning at 9 regarding jurisdiction to see if I will actually get an s74 hearing.

And sooner or later they will want all the firearms we have anyway, they just keep chipping away, so whether you lose them now or a year, makes no difference.

As far as what will I do? Wait for them to knock I guess (or kick down my door, toss in a flash bang, and all that which won't end well for me). I personally don't think it will be enforced, much like in NZ, where compliance was less then 20%.

To the best of my knowledge the door kicking squad hasn't gotten to work there. The police will have no appetite to enforce this on people who were licensed and legal. And it would be potentially dangerous for all parties involved. Keeping in mind that many in law enforcement and military are also criminals under amnesty because they also own banned firearms. They aren't that happy about it either.

So, if everybody would be non compliant, instead of obedient sheep, it would turn into a real gong show for government to enforce, way worse then trying to get everyone vaccinated.

Having said that, I look at the compliance on covid restrictions, and how few actually challenged the government on the OIC, and think there will be lineups for people to give their firearms to the authorities as quickly and obediently they can. I don't have much faith in the backbone of gun owners, and don't get me started on Fudds who support the bans, as long as it isn't their guns. And then those who resist will be in deep kaka.

I can't speculate what I'm going to do. I don't know, it isn't here. But I did fight in court, that was my first approach.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 09-23-2021 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
It’s fine to say you won’t comply but in reality when it’s restricted and registered and they come knocking on your door what do you do? At that point your in possession of a prohibited firearm and the gestapo is liable to take all your guns, not just the prohibited.
If it comes to that, guess mine, minus one or two, will get stolen toot sweet!
Old 09-23-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Having said that, I look at the compliance on covid restrictions, and how few actually challenged the government on the OIC, and think there will be lineups for people to give their firearms to the authorities as quickly and obediently they can.
The experts know best.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:22 PM

I certainly agree with grabbing ammo. It is as good as cash at the best of times, better than gold in the worst.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I'm already in possession of a prohib firearm and a criminal thanks to the OIC, and I am getting a decision tomorrow morning at 9 regarding jurisdiction to see if I will actually get an s74 hearing.

And sooner or later they will want all the firearms we have anyway, they just keep chipping away, so whether you lose them now or a year, makes no difference.

As far as what will I do? Wait for them to knock I guess (or kick down my door, toss in a flash bang, and all that which won't end well for me). I personally don't think it will be enforced, much like in NZ, where compliance was less then 20%.

To the best of my knowledge the door kicking squad hasn't gotten to work there. The police will have no appetite to enforce this on people who were licensed and legal. And it would be potentially dangerous for all parties involved. Keeping in mind that many in law enforcement and military are also criminals under amnesty because they also own banned firearms. They aren't that happy about it either.

So, if everybody would be non compliant, instead of obedient sheep, it would turn into a real gong show for government to enforce, way worse then trying to get everyone vaccinated.

Having said that, I look at the compliance on covid restrictions, and how few actually challenged the government on the OIC, and think there will be lineups for people to give their firearms to the authorities as quickly and obediently they can. I don't have much faith in the backbone of gun owners, and don't get me started on Fudds who support the bans, as long as it isn't their guns. And then those who resist will be in deep kaka.

I can't speculate what I'm going to do. I don't know, it isn't here. But I did fight in court, that was my first approach.
Thanks for standing up TC!!!!!
Old 09-23-2021, 10:01 PM

Maybe Huntinstuff and a few others could weigh in here please?
Old 09-24-2021, 08:25 AM

Default If they come to the door..

With a warrant to enter.

I will then consider if my prohibs are for "sale".

There will be nothing that they don't know about around for them to inventory (only the registered guns will be around).

I probably won't hear the door bell. I will be out oiling my garden.

They will only force this on those who comply easily.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
With a warrant to enter.

I will then consider if my prohibs are for "sale".

There will be nothing that they don't know about around for them to inventory (only the registered guns will be around).

I probably won't hear the door bell. I will be out oiling my garden.

They will only force this on those who comply easily.
I think you have that little plastic card that says PAL. Pretty sure that gives the cops a free pass to enter without a warrant.

After April 30th the amnesty ends and they don’t have to pay anything for your prohibs because you are now a criminal.

And don’t worry about hearing the door bell, they will probably just let them selves in, just like they did in High River.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:18 PM

I'm not sure enforcement will be that instant, if at all, but the potential is certainly there. The only way you extend that amnesty is by having the matter still before a court in an S74 Review, or appeal.

I have to decide with my lawyer about an appeal, as we got a decision from judge today dismissing us for lack of jurisdiction (contrary to the Stark ruling).

Sorry for derail

Old 09-26-2021, 08:22 PM

I think our government relies on compliance

Police have no real desire to enforce or seize. They see bad guys shooting bad guys. Hardly a stump to stand on to call for confiscation.....

Used guns, and guns in general are appreciating, which is good for us who have, but makes it harder financially for a noob.

Ammo, powder, primers,bullets??? Well, we all know what THAT looks like right now.

I'd agree with TC. If the Liberals go after your stuff, just sit on it. The likelihood of police coming to one of our houses is miniscule at best. They might whack some creeps house just to make the news, but Id think most AO members would never experience a home visit.

Registered guns suck. They know you have it. They will send you a firmly worded letter. Maybe two!

Their letter should get the same attention as the petitions/letters we send Ottawa on various topics....absolutely FA

If you find a gun you like that you can afford, buy it. Buy ammo too. Learn to reload or team up with a buddy to do so.

Some guys are selling at a pretty good profit. Good for them. But once that gun is sold, they have $ and YOU have a gun.....

It's like land. Only sell as a last resort. And NEVER surrender it willingly. Let them make the effort to come get it. They won't.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 09-26-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:43 PM

I have quite a few clients on the Calgary Police, all of the ones I spoke with have no issue with what licensed owners have and know there are far better things to spend their time in pursuit of than seizure squads. Many are also gun owners themselves. I was at a detectives home just this morning and he had a pretty sturdy looking vault door to a hardened room adjacent where I was working, due to our conversation I had an idea of at least one OIC-affected firearm he would have in there.

There was one exception to the rule out of a couple dozen, an older officer who was from the UK, he didn’t seem keen on civilian firearm ownership, at least anything ‘scary’ looking. He probably knows there are better things to spend their time on though.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:13 PM

Judging by the krap on their platform, don't be too shocked if they do the magazine ban for over 5 rds, without banning handguns. That would effectively make them useless and the mags will be the offense, that would encompass the 9mm rifles and etc that use a pistol mag, pinned mags, probably tube mags in one fell swoop. Not like we stand any chance of the NDP or Bloc not backing them on it, or for a handgun and over 5rd mag ban. I believe they have to wait for the OIC case to be overwith, but, no doubt, there is probably a way around that if they decide to do it. There is a lot of things they need to do to implement them though, it may take a while yet. And then they'll just create a colossal black market on all of it and wonder where they went wrong.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:26 PM

I guess if they do restrict pistol mags to 5, my revolvers are going to get more valuable.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I guess if they do restrict pistol mags to 5, my revolvers are going to get more valuable.
It would be weird to have to plug 3 holes in a S&W 327 TRR8. Load it with 3 snap caps mixed in?
Old 09-30-2021, 10:18 AM

if our newly appointed provincial CFO's do their jobs we should not have to worry about it.
Teri Bryant says she is standing up for lawful use of firearms by Albertans.
i guess we will see if it's all bull sheet.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
if our newly appointed provincial CFO's do their jobs we should not have to worry about it.
Teri Bryant says she is standing up for lawful use of firearms by Albertans.
i guess we will see if it's all bull sheet.
As long as provincial electorate thinks like we do
Old 06-01-2022, 01:56 PM

Lol. How about now😬
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 06-01-2022, 02:05 PM

Now, handguns are flying off shelves faster then you can imagine, and prices on used market have gone up.
But I'm curious what it is about the situation that makes you lol?

Old 06-01-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Now, handguns are flying off shelves faster then you can imagine, and prices on used market have gone up.
But I'm curious what it is about the situation that makes you lol?
I don’t know but I also assume the black market will grow and the prices have gone up there too!
Old 06-02-2022, 12:43 AM

Default Well said, my friend. :)

I agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I think our government relies on compliance

Police have no real desire to enforce or seize. They see bad guys shooting bad guys. Hardly a stump to stand on to call for confiscation.....

Used guns, and guns in general are appreciating, which is good for us who have, but makes it harder financially for a noob.

Ammo, powder, primers,bullets??? Well, we all know what THAT looks like right now.

I'd agree with TC. If the Liberals go after your stuff, just sit on it. The likelihood of police coming to one of our houses is miniscule at best. They might whack some creeps house just to make the news, but Id think most AO members would never experience a home visit.

Registered guns suck. They know you have it. They will send you a firmly worded letter. Maybe two!

Their letter should get the same attention as the petitions/letters we send Ottawa on various topics....absolutely FA

If you find a gun you like that you can afford, buy it. Buy ammo too. Learn to reload or team up with a buddy to do so.

Some guys are selling at a pretty good profit. Good for them. But once that gun is sold, they have $ and YOU have a gun.....

It's like land. Only sell as a last resort. And NEVER surrender it willingly. Let them make the effort to come get it. They won't.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
As long as provincial electorate thinks like we do
That's why the NDP will be a disaster for us if they get in again. As dysfunctional as the current govt is with their leadership issues, we can't afford the NDP running this province again.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:03 PM

Buying a handgun is saying a big Foxtrot Uniform to the dope.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:27 PM

what ever happened to that fat snake Kenny saying he was going to get Alberta it's own CFO so we didn't have to follow fed gun laws? I may have messed that up slightly, but he talked to getting us set up to some how have our own gun laws seperate from the federal laws.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
what ever happened to that fat snake Kenny saying he was going to get Alberta it's own CFO so we didn't have to follow fed gun laws? I may have messed that up slightly, but he talked to getting us set up to some how have our own gun laws seperate from the federal laws.
We have our own cfo
She’s on our side also
Old 06-02-2022, 10:43 PM

Lots of people in Canada did not comply with Covid Mandates and Shots, people were vilified, lost jobs, cannot leave this Commie WEF country but are still here. The same thing can be done with fire arms. Trudeau will not stop at hand guns. He will try, but he will not get them all, same thing will happen with long guns, if we let them. More protests would tie up police resources too.