Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-07-2021, 12:39 AM

Default Optics for old guys

So I’m getting old the eyes don’t work like the used to, going to switch out a scope, was thinking of going 50 mm as it would likely gather the most light in first and last light situations any recommendations on something good that won’t break the bank?
Old 01-07-2021, 05:36 AM

For the money a swaro Z3 is pretty tough to beat. I’m in the same boat and just switched to a NF SHV.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:28 AM

Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
For the money a swaro Z3 is pretty tough to beat. I’m in the same boat and just switched to a NF SHV.
Buy a high end scope...the clarity will help. a big objective will help with light as well. Higher magnification will make things appear more clearly as well

Hoopi
Old 01-07-2021, 09:35 AM
Banned

From Leupold

I'm 62 and find my Sawvorski Z# 3x9x36 are as bright to my eyes as my Z3 4x12x50

Reardless if the scope is 36mm or 50mm the quality of the optic will provide a better view then anything else.

A LARGER OBJECTIVE LENS MEANS THE SCOPE WILL BE BRIGHTER

Again, this seems like common sense. But the size of the objective lens is directly tied to the magnification range of the scope. Have you ever noticed how lower-magnification scopes usually have a small diameter objective lens, while high-magnification scopes have larger ones? That's because the combination of these specs is what creates the scope's exit pupil size.

The exit pupil is the disc of light that actually hits your eye. This disc needs to be the right size in order to have a bright, clear image all the way through the magnification range. You can visualize this by taking an un-mounted scope, holding it in your hand with the objective lens facing up. Put a white piece of paper on a table below it and shine a flashlight through the scope. Make sure the scope is the same distance away from the paper as it would be from your eye if you were shooting. With the light shining through the scope, you should see a disc of light hit the paper on the other side. Move the scope up and down to see how the disc goes in and out of focus. Adjust the magnification, and you’ll see the disc get bigger and smaller.

There’s also a very ease mathematical formula to figure out what size your exit pupil will be. It’s the diameter of the objective lens divided by the magnification. This will give you the exit pupil diameter in millimeters.

FOR EXAMPLE:

If you have a 1-4x20mm scope that's on 1x, the equation looks like 1/20 = 20mm exit pupil. If it’s on 4x, it would be 4/20 = 5mm exit pupil

Now let’s say you have a 3-18x44mm scope. If it were on 8x, the equation would be 8/44 = 5.5mm exit pupil. Almost the same as if the 1-4x scope was on 4x.

The other thing to consider is how much light your eye can physically use. It actually varies by age. When you’re young and your eyes are fresh and new, your pupils can dilate quite large, maybe to 7 or 8mm’s. But as you age, your eyes age, as well. Your average 35-year-old eye may only be able to dilate to 4 or 5mm’s. So yes, we could definitely create a scope that gives you a 30mm exit pupil, but your body wouldn’t actually be able to absorb all the light.

https://www.leupold.com/leupold-core...yths-explained
Like Reactions:BeeMaa, Opposite Pole and Standard Velocity
Old 01-07-2021, 10:19 AM

Leica er are nice as are s&b...for some reason I have never liked any ziess optic product except the hi end offerings
Old 01-07-2021, 10:57 AM

50 MM objective will do you no good. As we age out eyes are unable to use as much light as when we were younger. A 42MM objective is a much more user friendly alternative, not to mention weight savings and lower mounting on your rifle. and generally less expensive.

Good glass is by far a better choice and I don't mean spending over a $1000. bucks or more, most mid priced scopes in the $600 plus range are fine.

There are a ton of video's etc. online which will explain to you the ins and outs of buying Quality scopes and how as we age our eyes are less effective.

Hope it helps.

A quick search: not saying the guy knows all but it may help.

The Straight Scope: On Riflescopes

By Randy Wakeman
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 01-07-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:39 PM

After 23 years, i swapped my Leupold 3x9 for a Leupold 6x18......

Both are 40mm. But now i can zoom in and really pick my spot.

Both have great glass
Old 01-07-2021, 03:12 PM

Went for a Z3 2.5-10x42 BRH for my #1 a couple of yrs ago, it ticked all the boxes. They have gone up a bit now, looks like they are around 1100.00 these days. Never had any complaints about the 2010 era Zeiss Conquests either. Seems as though a scope has to be Japanese made or European to get good glass and turrets in it, nothing against Leupold either, just didn't like what they offered in reticles. And you do get what you pay for, up to a point, then it's all about the features and mechanics inside. Bit of new stuff around, but, being as there is no SHOT show, have to search for press releases.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:21 PM

Well I have been shopping around and in town not much for selection and on the net lots of out of stock. There is one scope I am interested as far as "high end" a Swaro Z3 3-9 x36 for $860.00. The most I have paid was for Leupold FX3 6x42 about 8-10 yrs ago. Are 5-6 hundred dollar scopes really that bad or will the 8-1000. dollar ones blow me away.
I as well have 60 year old eyes.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:13 PM

I'm very happy with my Zeiss Conquest scopes. The optics clarity is a big game changer for me.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:49 PM

BIG Leupold fanboy here!
Love their FXR series,, the one I use on my hunting rifle is a 1.5 -4X and it is super clear. The red dot is variable so you can turn it down soo it doesn't blind you, and the best part? It turns off if not used!
Cat
Old 01-07-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
BIG Leupold fanboy here!
Love their FXR series,, the one I use on my hunting rifle is a 1.5 -4X and it is super clear. The red dot is variable so you can turn it down soo it doesn't blind you, and the best part? It turns off if not used!
Cat
FXR ?
Could you please post a link for FXR ?
Old 01-07-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
FXR ?
Could you please post a link for FXR ?
Here ya go!
Sorry, it's a VXR!

Cat
https://www.korthgroup.com/Products/Leupold/Scopes
Old 01-07-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Here ya go!
Sorry, it's a VXR!
Cat
https://www.korthgroup.com/Products/Leupold/Scopes
Thanks Cat- I spent half an hour looking for a “fixed” but not quite / with some zoom
Old 01-07-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks Cat- I spent half an hour looking for a “fixed” but not quite / with some zoom
I usually use fixed power scopes but this one was a gift so I decided to try it out, it's been on the rifle for several years now
Cat
Old 01-07-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I usually use fixed power scopes but this one was a gift so I decided to try it out, it's been on the rifle for several years now
Cat
Better than fixed? Seriously? How about price compare to x4 or x6 ?
And - is it really better smaller objective for us old farts?
Ps. Peep sights are working amassingly for bad eyes too, aren’t they?
Old 01-07-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Better than fixed? Seriously? How about price compare to x4 or x6 ?
And - is it really better smaller objective for us old farts?
Ps. Peep sights are working amazingly for bad eyes too, aren’t they?
To be honest I never really turn the scope down off 4X, it is the variable aiming dot that I really like.
Fixed power scopes are generally less expensive than variables .
As far as peep sights go, I use them more than anything at the range, II much prefer shooting with them on my match rifles as opposed to a scope even though they are harder to use. The Vbull is half the diameter for Fclass shooters scopes as opposed to Palma match shooters.
I can't use open sights very well, but the peep ( receiver or tang) work well for me still even with my bifocals. I am 66 now and plan on using the irons for as long as I can .
Cat
Old 01-07-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
To be honest I never really turn the scope down off 4X, it is the variable aiming dot that I really like.
Fixed power scopes are generally less expensive than variables .
As far as peep sights go, I use them more than anything at the range, II much prefer shooting with them on my match rifles as opposed to a scope even though they are harder to use. The Vbull is half the diameter for Fclass shooters scopes as opposed to Palma match shooters.
I can't use open sights very well, but the peep ( receiver or tang) work well for me still even with my bifocals. I am 66 now and plan on using the irons for as long as I can .
Cat
I know they are les comlicated and are better manufactured...
Did I get it right - you shooting with peep sights wearing glasses?
Ps. Me 2- there is no scope better than good peep sights- same as no digital calliper can compare to good mechanical one made in Germany in approximate price range

Last edited by sailor; 01-07-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:14 PM

ALL my hunting rifles now wear fixed 6x scopes (older Leupolds if at all possible) all of my varmint .22 rimfires wear fixed 6x (various brands ). .17 HMR and .17 Hornet, target rigs and my flatter shooting varmint rigs (.204 etc.) wear variables. Not that I like them better it is just for mirage, the widely varied distances or that eye ball sticking out of the grass, then higher mag scopes/variable scopes have a more meaningful purpose.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
ALL my hunting rifles now wear fixed 6x scopes (older Leupolds if at all possible) all of my varmint .22 rimfires wear fixed 6x (various brands ). .17 HMR and .17 Hornet, target rigs and my flatter shooting varmint rigs (.204 etc.) wear variables. Not that I like them better it is just for mirage, the widely varied distances or that eye ball sticking out of the grass, then higher mag scopes/variable scopes have a more meaningful purpose.
And you didn’t even mention what scopes are on your favourite rifles : 6.5 ...and 338 lapua
Old 01-07-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I know they are les comlicated and are better manufactured...
Did I get it right - you shooting with peep sights wearing glasses?
Ps. Me 2- there is no scope better than good peep sights- same as no digital calliper can compare to good mechanical one made in Germany in approximate price range
Yup, irons and sling with glasses out to 1K!

Pay no atention to the spotting scope !!
Cat
Old 01-07-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Yup, irons and sling with glasses out to 1K!

Pay no atention to the spotting scope !!
Cat
What glasses- for reading or distance?
I tried glasses for pistol competitions and ended up with no glasses ...I see pistol sights clearly and target ( not very clear) but don’t see holes even at 15m
Ps. Are you shooting stars ?
Pps. Best peep sights I ever seen...

Last edited by sailor; 01-07-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:08 PM

I have the smallest bifocal window for reading, and the rest for distance, with astigmatism correction as well.
Cat
Old 01-07-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I have the smallest bifocal window for reading, and the rest for distance, with astigmatism correction as well.
Cat
Thanks I don’t understand anything in glasses ...
Will ask doctor.
Ps. So That spotting scope isn’t mounted on your rifle? On the phone it looks like on top - lol
Pps. Actually it looks like telescope
Old 01-07-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks I don’t understand anything in glasses ...
Will ask doctor.
Ps. So That spotting scope isn’t mounted on your rifle? On the phone it looks like on top - lol
the spotter is on its own bipod but when you look fast , yupit looks like it is mounted on the rifle!! LOL
Cat
Old 01-07-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
the spotter is on its own bipod but when you look fast , yupit looks like it is mounted on the rifle!! LOL
Cat
Whoever took that picture was standing far away and was taking photo with at least 200mm lens so it flattened everything
Old 01-07-2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Whoever took that picture was standing far away and was using lens with at least 200mm lens so it flattened everything
Iphone camera.
Cat
Old 01-07-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Iphone camera.
Cat
That’s why I don’t like pinhole cameras- pictures like this should be taken with good SLR camera where you have full control
Old 01-07-2021, 10:53 PM

That’s a cool funny pic, cat. I also had to “zoom in” to see what is going there with the “set up”.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
And you didn’t even mention what scopes are on your favourite rifles : 6.5 ...and 338 lapua
Which 6.5? I have 5. Sorry don't own a Lapua.... but I do shoot their brass. Any other questions?