Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-01-2021, 12:32 PM

Default Tell Me More About This Mauser

Just picked a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55. I know nothing about these guns...

Looks to be a Carl Gustav. Barrel is 24" but I'm not sure if that has been cut down previously. Can anyone tell me any more info on this sucker? Model? Year of manufacture?

I picked it up for $500 with the Simmons scope. How did I do?

Thanks guys.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:46 PM

I don’t think it’s a bad buy, the gun by itself worth probably more money. You better post your question on CGN forum, there is a sub forums for a ww2 rifles.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:05 PM

Looks OK , with the exception of the crown - and the bore appears off center.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:07 PM

You didn’t do so well. Considering you can pick up a used Ruger, Remington, or Winchester for comparable coin if you look. They would have a useable stock with optic sights, a useable safety, and a better trigger.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-01-2021, 01:12 PM

96 or 38 Swede.
Can’t really tell.
Some serious bubba’ing has been done to this rifle.
The bolt was bent or turned down and the porosity in the weld or soldering is suspect(pin holes)
Different safety and bolt shield installed.
Barrel cut and crowned with a countersink bit by the looks of it.
Weaver bases, bottom end rings(Bushnell) I’d be worried about the alignment of the scope base holes.

Wanna know more, get the front base off the receiver and read the date.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-01-2021, 01:20 PM

Leaning pretty hard toward a 1900 date on the receiver.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You didn’t do so well. Considering you can pick up a used Ruger, Remington, or Winchester for comparable coin if you look. They would have a useable stock with optic sights, a useable safety, and a better trigger.
Except I was looking for a Swedish Mauser. Not a Ruger, Remington, or Winchester. Thanks for the great insight.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
96 or 38 Swede.
Can’t really tell.
Some serious bubba’ing has been done to this rifle.
The bolt was bent or turned down and the porosity in the weld or soldering is suspect(pin holes)
Different safety and bolt shield installed.
Barrel cut and crowned with a countersink bit by the looks of it.
Weaver bases, bottom end rings(Bushnell) I’d be worried about the alignment of the scope base holes.

Wanna know more, get the front base off the receiver and read the date.
Thanks for the info Dick. It's definitely been bubba'd. I'll pull the bases and check the date and scope ring alignment.

I was more or less looking for a cheap 6.5x55 to screw around with over the winter.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I don’t think it’s a bad buy, the gun by itself worth probably more money. You better post your question on CGN forum, there is a sub forums for a ww2 rifles.
Good call. There's also a guy named Baribal there with a sticky on the Hunting & Sporting Arms sub forum. Very knowledgeable about older Husqvarna & Carl Gustaf firearms.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:56 PM

Not sure if they still do the sporterised 96s any more but they were cheap and shot pretty good. They also had a 1 in7 and a half twist. Wish you the best with yours. Start with minimum loads and work up slowly in case the action has been tampered with the wrong way.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:49 PM

If bubba left the brass plate on the butt stock, you can also read what the armourers recorded on the rifle when they inspected it. I found a site at one time but can't seem to find it anymore. Of course hard to tell the barrel wear since bubba got it.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:59 PM

Found them, if it's any help.
https://www.sniperforums.com/threads...-mauser.34427/

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/disc.html
Old 01-01-2021, 03:29 PM

You did fine. You have a rifle that has lasted 120 years and will last another 120. The bolt would have been straight originally. Someone did a nice job on the bolt. The safety is after market and the barrel, which would have been 29.5" originally, has been cut and crowned nicely.

Compared to anything you will find out there for the money you spent, you have considerably more old school quality with yours. JMHO. Congrats on the find!
Old 01-01-2021, 03:44 PM

Default well

Carl Gustaf 96 the date will be under the from base.Bueller safety.Hopefully the "off center "crown isn't the result of an over zealous steel cleaning rod although the barrel was 29" before sported.I had a couple and killed a lot of moose and deer with them.They have a 1-7.25" twist but shoot the 160 Hornady /no longer made ,129 + 140 gr bullet really well you just have to seat them way out there .Long throats.IMR 4350 is VG with all weights and N204 is what Norma factory ammo was loaded with.RE#19 is the replacement.Likely not grain for grain so work up. RE#22 is about all I use these days.Nice guns.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Except I was looking for a Swedish Mauser. Not a Ruger, Remington, or Winchester. Thanks for the great insight.
Sorry you feel that way, next time if you don’t want anyone’s opinion don’t ask.
I will say that I would take almost any old Mauser over any of today’s cheep rifles, that said I have bought more then a few of these and have never paid over $350 mind you they didn’t come with a scope...in MY opinion yours didn’t ether.
If your happy, I’m happy!
Old 01-01-2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
Sorry you feel that way, next time if you don’t want anyone’s opinion don’t ask.
I will say that I would take almost any old Mauser over any of today’s cheep rifles, that said I have bought more then a few of these and have never paid over $350 mind you they didn’t come with a scope...in MY opinion yours didn’t ether.
If your happy, I’m happy!
I didn't ask if anyone thought I should have bought a different rifle apart from the one I've posted. That's an opinion that could have been left on the cutting room floor.

At least you've provided me with some insight on what these rifles are worth, as have a couple of others via PM.

We'll see how happy I am after taking it out for the first time, but I'm usually pretty happy every time I get to shoot a new gun...
Old 01-02-2021, 12:04 AM

Most of the old Swedish Mausers shoot very well. I am sure you will be pleased!
Old 01-02-2021, 10:43 AM

By all accounts it appears you think you made a SUPER deal and aren't very interested in actual input, so who are we to say any different. I hope it shoots great for you. Happy New Year.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:54 AM

The 96 Swedish Mauser is a fine rifle. I have 3 of them, 2 in the 6.5x55, The price you paid may be a little high, but whats 1 or 2 hundred between friends. The only way you'll be able to tell if it's a good buy is to shoot some groups with it. IMHO the Mauser 96 is a far better rifle than than the newer rifles.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Looks OK , with the exception of the crown - and the bore appears off center.
The bore may appear off centered, because the picture is take at a severe angle.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
The bore may appear off centered, because the picture is take at a severe angle.
You'd be correct here. Bore is centered and rifling looks shiny and bright.

I should also mention that the scope won't be staying on this rifle either. Might end up on a rimfire, might end up on an air rifle. Ha
Old 01-02-2021, 12:11 PM

Default Fwiw

A PAL springer will eat that scope for lunch.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:30 PM

Bolt shroud is correct, wing safety is after market. Bent bolts MAY?? be correct, I have had a few.
(Numbers don't match but that is very common on refurbished arsenals rifles) (check head space to be safe). I betting it is a 96 action, stronger then the 93 action and can handle stouter loads. The barrel would have had a threaded on the end (for grenade launchers) but was kinda ugly, so it has been shortened.

The 96 came in two models the Carbine and the standard troop model. The Standard models mostly had straight bolt and barrels were longer 29" I believe.
Carbines had shorter barrels and some versions had bent bolts.
They are shooters.

Did you pay to much?? only you can be the judge of that
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
By all accounts it appears you think you made a SUPER deal and aren't very interested in actual input, so who are we to say any different. I hope it shoots great for you. Happy New Year.

I dont think he said anywhere that he made a Super Deal Dean, and "some", and in particular "one" reply was just straight up arrogantly ignorant. As usual.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:43 PM

Default For the price

You did fine. It depends on the bore condition and how well it will perform. If it goes bang and hits where it's supposed to you will be happy. Take a close look at the bases to see how they were fitted. The aftermarket safety is a little easier to operate with a scope. You might have aftermarket trigger parts.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:52 PM

Default Swedish mausers

Carbines were model 94, Model 38 replaced the long 96.Barrel threads were for blank firing devices with self disintegrating wooden bullets.Not all were threaded.As stated way back Bueller safety and a sportered bolt to clear scope.In the early 80's we bought 96's from Milarm for $50 and 38's for about $75.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Just picked a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55. I know nothing about these guns...

Looks to be a Carl Gustav. Barrel is 24" but I'm not sure if that has been cut down previously. Can anyone tell me any more info on this sucker? Model? Year of manufacture?

I picked it up for $500 with the Simmons scope. How did I do?

Thanks guys.

Could you please take a scope and front scope mounts off and take picture of the top of receiver?
Old 01-02-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Could you please take a scope and front scope mounts off and take picture of the top of receiver?
If your taking another picture, could you post one of the complete rifle.
Thanks
Old 01-02-2021, 07:20 PM

Here is a picture of a 96 mauser sporterized by Stiga, in a 6.5x55,
It shoots sub MOA groups, and cost me 275 at tradeex a couple months ago.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Here is a picture of a 96 mauser sporterized by Stiga, in a 6.5x55,
It shoots sub MOA groups, and cost me 275 at tradeex a couple months ago.

Really ? looks like m38?
Can you take a picture of top of receiver