Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 10:25 AM

Listening to a live press conference with Ontario health. Its all about butt covering, pacifying and dodging the hard questions. They say the risk is Low right now...yeah I know that. What is the forecast for a month from now? Basically no talk of spreading before symptoms show and the ramifications of that. Sounds like they are being very lax with containment. The wife of the first confirmed case now has it and she is being left to "self quarantine" at their home. So in essence they are trusting her word on something that we know is not normal and could pose a massive risk. Distressing.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
How you can be so amused by something as terrible as this is baffling. People are losing loved ones and it is a worldwide concern. Why you are still posting in this thread is puzzling too.
Don't agree with you there. Humor can be an important way to handle stress. Talk to cops and doctors about that. Quite often they will use what most would consider morbid humor to break the negative they see every day. I plan on trying to stay in good humor as much as possible. It serves no good to be negative or dour. Be aware, be prepared but try to keep it positive.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Listening to a live press conference with Ontario health. Its all about butt covering, pacifying and dodging the hard questions. They say the risk is Low right now...yeah I know that. What is the forecast for a month from now? Basically no talk of spreading before symptoms show and the ramifications of that. Sounds like they are being very lax with containment. The wife of the first confirmed case now has it and she is being left to "self quarantine" at their home. So in essence they are trusting her word on something that we know is not normal and could pose a massive risk. Distressing.
It’s starting to look like it’s not airborne and requires direct contact for transmission. Given the amount of people who were on flights you’d expect to see more cases popping up outside China. They don’t even know the source yet, so could be all these people were exposed to the same source seeing as every case has come out of China.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-27-2020, 10:54 AM

Seems bizarre that almost every case can be traced back to the city from someone who traveled there. Hopefully it isn't the tip of the iceberg. Next week or two should tell a lot.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Your paper masks must be much fancier than any N95 disposables I have ever seen. So an aluminum band you bend to seal with one elastic cord stapled to them pulling the mask in half. No face seal. Pleated paper. No four point strap actually pulling a gasket to your face. These are all signs of a mask that will never achieve a seal. Especially when talking or moving your jaw. If you push the mask onto your face and breath deep for a negative pressure test good on you. As soon as you remove your hand you have no seal. The difference would be like a safety glass or goggle. Do you wear safety goggles or glasses to intubate TB patients?

Everything in this world is given an expiry date. What would actually expire on these masks? Honest question. Are they covered in a chemical or compound of some sort? Do you know? As far as I can tell its just a filter membrane. Not sure how it would expire.
I'm not saying for sure if the N95 that you are using is any different than the 1/2 dozen models that are currently in use in medical isolation, but fitting is the key.
In a proper fitting a mask is placed on and then the wearer is situated in an isolation hood. A material is nebulized and then wearer waits for a time interval. I can tell you with 100% certainty that depending on the masks make and size you can and will get air leaking around the sides of some masks (you will taste the material nebulized ). The leak is based strictly on your face shape. Ever wonder why you see people in bio hazard situations wearing different masks? You only want to use the mask that doesn't allow gas to come in from around the sides. That may not be important in oil field situations, but I will tell you that anyone in Canada dealing with suspected coronovirous patients will be properly fit tested.
When you work in isolation rooms with infectious patients for long periods of time you DO NOT wants to be breathing in room air that has come in from around your mask. And yes you also need to protect your eyes. Put on safety glasses for a procedure, and then at the end of it take a look at the lenses. All of that would have been in your eyes without them.

Last edited by Scott h; 01-27-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
It’s starting to look like it’s not airborne and requires direct contact for transmission. Given the amount of people who were on flights you’d expect to see more cases popping up outside China. They don’t even know the source yet, so could be all these people were exposed to the same source seeing as every case has come out of China.
That is not the message I got from that news conference. One bit of knowledge they let out is that there are 19 cases being monitored in (I suspect Ontario but missed that detail - could have been all of Canada) and most are hospitalized. They danced around the question of whether some or all of these patients were on the same flight as that confirmed case and admitted that most are hospitalized due to symptoms and not out of an abundance of caution (ie proactive quarantine). I've seen nothing suggesting this is by contact only. Lack of confirmed cases here could simply be because of the incubation period which could be a week or two. Like I said the next two weeks is going to be telling.

Also comments by the officials suggested they are leaning heavily on WHO to confirm the spread vectors and health impacts etc and are doing the minimum measures until the hear otherwise. Sounds like they knew basically nothing specific to the virus and just kept coming back to comparing to a normal flu. So frustrating that China is the one dealing with this. We'd have so much more info if it was running its course in a transparent country that would work directly with WHO. I hope China pays for this politically when all it said and done. I am sick of their BS.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Anybody think that this was released from that lab in Wuhan on purpose, after carefully behind closed doors constructed this virus?... maybe just maybe they didn’t expect such a fast moving virus?
A thinning of the herd so to speak..I doubt this was bat soup or snake.. those markets have been operating forever, and now they wanna blame that.. just my opinion but this is kinda a perfect weapon, hard to trace, don’t know how to stop it.. many unanswered questions.. and who here actually believe any news that comes outa China and other countries as well.. its all being downplayed so we all don’t start running and screaming and tripping and falling and no where to hide...
Just food for thought on my part this morning as I’m drinking my warm coffee
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-27-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Seems bizarre that almost every case can be traced back to the city from someone who traveled there. Hopefully it isn't the tip of the iceberg. Next week or two should tell a lot.
A big part of the problem is first signs are just like flu signs and people over there thinking they got this coronavirus when they didn't heading to the hospitals by the thousands who are now infected after they leave spreading it all over the city, the city should have been shut down 15 days ago.

I keep seeing all the excavators in one area saying there building a hospital in 5 days, has to be some type of quick military style hospital .

The next 14 days is a critical time for China and WHO is having an emergency meeting in Beijing or just had one today, so we will see what comes out of this meeting.

JD
Old 01-27-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Anybody think that this was released from that lab in Wuhan on purpose, after carefully behind closed doors constructed this virus?... maybe just maybe they didn’t expect such a fast moving virus?
A thinning of the herd so to speak..I doubt this was bat soup or snake.. those markets have been operating forever, and now they wanna blame that.. just my opinion but this is kinda a perfect weapon, hard to trace, don’t know how to stop it.. many unanswered questions.. and who here actually believe any news that comes outa China and other countries as well.. its all being downplayed so we all don’t start running and screaming and tripping and falling and no where to hide...
Zip
You may want to watch Pandemic on Netflix. Its not a scary movie fiction but documents researchers. They touched on testing in birds and such. Animals have tones of viruses that if given the opportunity can pass to humans. China has a huge population with an almost infinite number of close prolonged contact with these animals ergo an almost infinite number of chances for crossover. The general consensus was this type of event was only a matter of time. No need for conspiracies although you can never say never.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Zip
Seems doubtful to me as if this goes on for long, it is going to destroy their economy. Who wants to order products that could be harboring a virus?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
How you can be so amused by something as terrible as this is baffling. People are losing loved ones and it is a worldwide concern. Why you are still posting in this thread is puzzling too.
Because why take life so seriously like I got a stick up my butt?

I'm following this topic as closely as anyone else.

Why are you so bent out of shape? I told you before, hit the ignore button if you don't like what you see.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Zip
There is a zerohedge article talking about 2 Chinese lab techs that worked in a Winnipeg lab with this virus. Some will call ZH fake news but I will try to find the link.

Edit: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...d-weaponize-it
Old 01-27-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
You may want to watch Pandemic on Netflix. Its not a scary movie fiction but documents researchers. They touched on testing in birds and such. Animals have tones of viruses that if given the opportunity can pass to humans. China has a huge population with an almost infinite number of close prolonged contact with these animals ergo an almost infinite number of chances for crossover. The general consensus was this type of event was only a matter of time. No need for conspiracies although you can never say never.
👍
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-27-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Seems doubtful to me as if this goes on for long, it is going to destroy their economy. Who wants to order products that could be harboring a virus?
Was reading one place where Australia lobster market is 95% china. Prices were $105/kg now $0/kg. My wife works for a company that primarily sells to China. We were theorizing they may well have to shut the whole plant down if this thing carries on. Thank god the house is paid off.

Also something to consider is how much we rely on Chinese manufacturing. What are the knock on effects of a prolonged shutdown of Chinese manufacturing. The potential ramifications go far beyond the sickness itself.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
There is a zerohedge article talking about 2 Chinese lab techs that worked in a Winnipeg lab with this virus. Some will call ZH fake news but I will try to find the link.

Here is a link to CBC on it
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tion-1.5211567
Old 01-27-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Maybe... I was just tossing that out there to see if I’m the only one who thinks China don’t care about human lives so much!
Just a thought..
It is proving to be quite the deadly weapon right now though..lotsa countries showing some signs of this virus already.. hasn’t been very long and it’s getting to most places it seems, a bit here a bit there.. some will survive, others not so lucky...
I don’t mean to throw a great big wrench in the middle of all this.. but maybe just a small wrench like maybe 5/16 size.. for now.
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-27-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Was reading one place where Australia lobster market is 95% china. Prices were $105/kg now $0/kg. My wife works for a company that primarily sells to China. We were theorizing they may well have to shut the whole plant down if this thing carries on. Thank god the house is paid off.

Also something to consider is how much we rely on Chinese manufacturing. What are the knock on effects of a prolonged shutdown of Chinese manufacturing. The potential ramifications go far beyond the sickness itself.
Good points to consider.. thanks for sharing, makes sense!
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-27-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Maybe... I was just tossing that out there to see if I’m the only one who thinks China don’t care about human lives so much!
Just a thought..
It is proving to be quite the deadly weapon right now though..lotsa countries showing some signs of this virus already.. hasn’t been very long and it’s getting to most places it seems, a bit here a bit there.. some will survive, others not so lucky...
I don’t mean to throw a great big wrench in the middle of all this.. but maybe just a small wrench like maybe 5/16 size.. for now.
Zip
I could see it being an accidental release from their lab as a more likely scenario.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I went to the wholesale club yesterday and almost every fish item was from China. Hard to take the risk even if it is minimal.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:51 AM

Im just watching the official death toll now. Just running the current data is scary af. The next week or so as the numbers come in and it will be a lot clearer.

I wonder how the terrorist organizations are thinking about this? Trying not to be a fear monger but I tend to think about the possibilities of these types of different scenarios.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I went to the wholesale club yesterday and almost every fish item was from China. Hard to take the risk even if it is minimal.
I went to buy a sleeve of garlic yesterday, and saw it was product of China in big bold letters. No thanks! I will be watching what I buy much closer these days. The bats and snakes I got for my stew were from Chile, so I should be fine.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Im just watching the official death toll now. Just running the current data is scary af. The next week or so as the numbers come in and it will be a lot clearer.

I wonder how the terrorist organizations are thinking about this? Trying not to be a fear monger but I tend to think about the possibilities of these types of different scenarios.
That's just it. This is in its infancy. Exponential growth takes a bit of time to really show up. Scary start so early, with a 2 week incubation period, only 4 weeks in....
Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 AM

A light marinade of olive oil and Lysol will make any Chinese food products perfectly safe. Lets not panic here!
Old 01-27-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post

Speaking of which...….I recall a Chinese national being either escorted or removed form the virology lab in Winnipeg. Not a lot in the media other then that. Likely not related but I may as well add to the hysteria...….
Old 01-27-2020, 12:11 PM

Exclamation

what happen if this get to countrys with a huge condense population and dated medical system, maybe parts of india or africa the temperature in these area are lot more warmer .
Old 01-27-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
what happen if this get to countrys with a huge condense population and dated medical system, maybe parts of india or africa the temperature in these area are lot more warmer .
I think its more a matter of when it shows there if it isn’t there already. Odds are it’s already there.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Suspected case in Ivory Coast

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/27/healt...rus/index.html
Old 01-27-2020, 12:44 PM

Somewhat good news:

"There is no evidence so far that the coronavirus is transmitted through imported goods, said Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Centre for Immunisation and Respiratory Diseases, in a briefing with reporters."

Somewhat bad news:

"WASHINGTON: The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Monday (Jan 27) had not recorded any new confirmed cases of a new coronavirus overnight since its last update of five, and said as many as 110 potential cases were under investigation."
Old 01-27-2020, 01:22 PM

Here is an articles from Reuters. Read from beginning to end. No wonder things are where they are.

Confusion and lost time: how testing woes slowed China's coronavirus response
Old 01-27-2020, 01:28 PM

I need to vent.
I really hate China.