Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-09-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Sooo what is the best option for kickback? The rifle was passed down from my dad before he passed away, so i may not be properly fitted for it.
Any competent "smith" can alter the stock for LOP, and if it is a wood or fiberglass stock can also be altered for drop and angle of shoulder contact so the rifle will fit you properly. Keepsakes are wonderful, but unless the sentimental value out weighs the punishment I would have the rifle adjusted to fit , so when you use it the memories attached to the rifle are not diminished
Typically a better quality recoil pad such as a Decelerator will help a fair bit.
A stock suppressor will also reduce the recoil about 30% without making the rifle appear noisier.
Brakes are far more effective in recoil reduction, the down side is they are stinking noisy, and for stalk type hunting where wearing hearing protection is not an advantage can have permanent negative effects on 1s hearing.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 10-09-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I believe that within the stated range, the .338WM will offer more than ample power and flat trajectory. Brass and even factory ammunition availability is probably better than that of RUM calibers. ATR mentioned recoil suppression, here's a picture of mine, because I don't care for loud muzzle breaks. This .338WM's felt recoil is comparable to a .308. The suppressor is a $300.00 touch, the rifle is a Tikka M695 Whitetail Hunter (one of the good ones).

Yes it was a shame they discontinued these GEMS for the T3s.
The 695s were truly decent rifles and that were still affordable for the high quality rifle Tikka then produced.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 10-09-2008, 10:55 PM

I Ordered a .338 ultra Mag Remington in Wood and Blued Barrel with Safari Sights,Set me Back $779.00 plus,but i am in the middle of the Northern Rockies,3 hrs North of Fort Nelson,thats where i ordered it,I Couldnt find one at S.I.R Or Any of the Wholesale Sports Stores out West at all,Cant wait to Open My Early Christmas Gift!!!!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:11 AM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlyman1980 View Post
I Ordered a .338 ultra Mag Remington in Wood and Blued Barrel with Safari Sights,Set me Back $779.00 plus,but i am in the middle of the Northern Rockies,3 hrs North of Fort Nelson,thats where i ordered it,I Couldnt find one at S.I.R Or Any of the Wholesale Sports Stores out West at all,Cant wait to Open My Early Christmas Gift!!!!
Hey Grizz, I'm flying to Ft. Nelson on monday, from there north 3 hours to check out a gas compressor. Sounds like I might be in your yard.