Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Default Elk around whitecourt

I have went back through all of AO, and people say there is elk around Whitecourt. But has anyone actually taken a legal bull. I have seen a cow and calf, so i would assume that there mist have been a bull, but no one i have talked to have actually taken one.

Should I give up on around.whitecourt and head somewhere else, or do I actually.have a chance of getting a legal bull here.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:28 PM

I have seen legal bulls but never shot any out there
Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 PM

Hunted around there for many years,used to be alot of moose back there years ago ,not many now ,to many hunters .More deer than moose now.And more hunters. Hinton or Spirt river are the larger numbers of elk.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Seen some north of Hinton on willow creek rd, that's if you like to drive on washboard , grader operators seem to drive around with blade in the air all the time
Old 08-23-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I have went back through all of AO, and people say there is elk around Whitecourt. But has anyone actually taken a legal bull. I have seen a cow and calf, so i would assume that there mist have been a bull, but no one i have talked to have actually taken one.

Should I give up on around.whitecourt and head somewhere else, or do I actually.have a chance of getting a legal bull here.
The last legal bull I seen taken was atleast 10yrs ago, just north of shinning bank lake.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 AM

Our group gets two or three every season out there.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:13 AM

Shinning bank is a great area for elk
Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 AM

Used to hunt sw of town always got our elk...got to busy do moved on
Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 AM

Took a legal bull and a cow about 4 years ago by the windfall gas plant. We worked hard for them though, lots of oil field activity up there now though....... But they are still there.

Good luck
Old 08-23-2012, 09:29 AM

Years ago near fox creek, we hunted for moose. Walking a cutline one morning I thought I was looking at the back end of a huge mulie buck at least a thousand yards ahead of me. When said mule buck turned and walked into the bush i realized I had just seen a nice bull elk. I could see his horns without bino's. After that i ran into a few guys up there who quietly hunted elk in the crown land and said there were a few small herds with a couple big bulls. I never thought the elk were there either. I still sled up there in the winter but never seen any elk since.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Yes! Give up around Whitecourt, there are no animals what so ever, specially south of Whitecourt in 346. . .thats it, yeah. . .no animals!! They walk to the boarder of the WMU and say "No way man, I ain't goin there!"
On another note, if anyone happens to find a general location of a cow elk floatin around there in late season (Nov 1 - Dec 20), I wouldn't object to maybe lookin around for it

In all seriousness though, Shining Bank is suppose to have a herd roaming around, my pa got one about 4 years ago and we caught a nice one on a trail cam last year. That and we've always seen them around the Whitecourt airport along the fence line (visible from the road while driving into Whitecourt). Not entirely sure about the regulations about shooting there, so we never have. We talked to an old trapper a few years ago and he said there was a lot of elk down by the river on the other side of the railway tracks, only accessible by walk in. Might have a little luck there.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick29 View Post
Seen some north of Hinton on willow creek rd, that's if you like to drive on washboard , grader operators seem to drive around with blade in the air all the time
they call that high bladeing, it saves on grader blades
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. Hopefully I can beg me an elk this year.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:00 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Yeah....if I were you I would give up on the Whitecourt area and maybe try further north...oh...say...perhaps Fort Nelsen area.

Cause there ain't no elk around Whitecourt................
Sorry...just rattling your chain.
Regards,
Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (61.8 KB, 592 views)
File Type: jpg 011 small.jpg (39.6 KB, 519 views)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Default 346 elk

4 bulls in 5 years for me and a chance with my cow tag in the other year.
I have had opportunities every year I hunt 346.
Resident elk know their backyard like no other. Don't **** in their backyard and you might have a chance.
I have some great memories of small and large bulls in that zone.
Try to get closer to the river if you can. Not saying hunt on the river, but land close to it with bush around.
Oh man! it won't be long now. Roughing it out of the back of the truck for a few days.
I drew a cow moose tag for 242 so I won't be elk hunting for more than a few days this year.
Good luck. There are some herds wandering around.
I pass this info along, just as it was to me when I first started hunting the zone. Rob was kind enough to give some words of confidence.
Put your time in. Don't smoke, and keep your other odours to virtually nil.
Dac

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I pass this info along, just as it was to me when I first started hunting the zone. Rob was kind enough to give some words of confidence.
Put your time in. Don't smoke, and keep your other odours to virtually nil.
Dac
Not that I disagree with you (I don't smoke)....but one of the most successful elk hunters I know smokes and will have a puff in the field and he has killed more elk with a bow than anyone I know.

LC
Old 08-24-2012, 08:28 PM

Went and done a little scouting around the athabasca and mcleod rivers. Never seen much of anything except wolf and coyote tracks. Might head out on the quad tomorrow and get a little farther into the bush.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:41 PM

Default elk

Hey whiskey wish,pretty sure that land is posted.nice sight tho
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
Yeah....if I were you I would give up on the Whitecourt area and maybe try further north...oh...say...perhaps Fort Nelsen area.

Cause there ain't no elk around Whitecourt................
Sorry...just rattling your chain.
Regards,
Dave.

Pretty sure I know exactly where that is....story goes many years ago a great looking bull elk was standing in there 150 yards off the road.

About 5 trucks were stopped and looking at him....one at a time guys in each truck started calling the land owner.....each one confident they would get the green light over the next guy....

In the end NO ONE got the green light...

LC
Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Went and done a little scouting around the athabasca and mcleod rivers. Never seen much of anything except wolf and coyote tracks. Might head out on the quad tomorrow and get a little farther into the bush.
Leeaspell, I was all over that area today doing some scouting as well, didn't see much except a cougar. If you do head out tomorrow try walking in. If you do find some good spots with your quad all your going to do is lower yours and my chances of bagging one come opening day, plus I did notice a couple of bow hunters camps would'nt want to ruin there hunt either. I know the area is getting busier but the last thing we as hunters want to do is destroy the WMU.
You got 24 days till the season opens up, more then enough time to figure out where you want to be opening day, save the quad for pulling that big bull out.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

You lads just go right on thinking that way.

Last winter that herd ate over 50 round bales of mine.

There is an outfitter in the area now and for some odd reason land in the region that was available to hunt for over 30 years is now closed. Odd that....

Also right of ways through bush areas are now being blocked by "someone" dropping trees across them. But I am sure it is just a coincidence.

But this is just one herd in the area, there are a couple of more.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:23 PM

Good to know Dave, pretty sure I know the outfitter your talking about. We have a group of 3 or 4 coming up opening season would really appreciate land permission, and there would definitely be a bottle in it for ya.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:

There is an outfitter in the area now and for some odd reason land in the region that was available to hunt for over 30 years is now closed. Odd that....

Also right of ways through bush areas are now being blocked by "someone" dropping trees across them. But I am sure it is just a coincidence.

Regards,
Dave.

If you have issues with elk eating your just pm me your address and ill come help you out lol. As for lowering chances by going out on the quad, I.dont think that me going out will be much of an issue considering how many people quad around here. I don't get a lot of days off, I'm not on a schedule, so I got to make the most of the occasional day off.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
If you have issues with elk eating your just pm me your address and ill come help you out lol. As for lowering chances by going out on the quad, I.dont think that me going out will be much of an issue considering how many people quad around here. I don't get a lot of days off, I'm not on a schedule, so I got to make the most of the occasional day off.
Ya I know what you mean about how busy it's getting but does'nt mean a guy can't try and conserve a good elk hunting area. I've watched 340 get ruined and looks like 346 is heading that way, for the most part a lot of the pressure probably is'nt coming from the hunters, but we could try and keep the area going as long as possible.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:

you should stay their
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxie View Post
Ya I know what you mean about how busy it's getting but does'nt mean a guy can't try and conserve a good elk hunting area. I've watched 340 get ruined and looks like 346 is heading that way, for the most part a lot of the pressure probably is'nt coming from the hunters, but we could try and keep the area going as long as possible.
I hear what your sayin. If your not part of.the solution your part of the problem. Just because everyone else is tearing up the country side doesn't mean I have to.

Scouting seems like a good reason to just get out and enjoy the bush. Maybe ill take the 22 and the dog and make a day of it and get a rabbit or 2, worst case scenario I get to spend a day in the bush with the dog, still better than a day at work.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 AM

I have a few friends shot legal bulls. Many more shot cows though. Bulls Seem to be there during the rut at the very beginning of the season and then very hard to find.
346 is more of a wintering ground for cows I think.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Default No elk there

From now till the end of November all the elk move to Athabasca
Old 10-25-2023, 10:56 AM

Default Elk

Quote:

Regards,
Dave.
Hi Dave,
I’ve been hunting with my 9 year old son for a few years, we got some deer
Let me know if you have a problem with elk those days, I would be happy to harvest elk with my son this November
Thanks
Ivan
Old 10-25-2023, 11:54 AM

Realizing this thread is 11 yrs old in 3,2,1......

But hey, got to try. I like Nov hunting for elk, they come out of the hills. Good luck to you and your son.