Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-28-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
Having owned two weatherby mark V rifles as well as the howa made rifle,I can't in good conscience recommend any weatherby except the vanguard.Given the high price,I was very disappointed in the accuracy delivered by my mark V rifles.
Can you give a little more detail on what you were not happy with?
Were your Mark V's german, japanese, or american made?
All new Mark V's including the ultralights carry a 1.5"@100yards accuracy guaranty with factory ammo, have quality stocks, fully adjustable triggers, Krieger Criterion barrels, and have the shortest bolt throw....oh yeah and one of the safest actions on the market.

I am not looking for a fight or argument I just dont understand what you expected out of your Mark V's.

I mainly use Sako's and Remingtons, but I have a ultralight markV and I love it, for a rifle of its weight, and intended purpose it is perfect. I do agree they are very expensive, but to have a rifle custom built to the same specs, and weight would cost a fair bit more.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Can you give a little more detail on what you were not happy with?
Accuracy was disappointing,better than 1-1/2" but still disappointing.The rifles produced a lot of muzzle jump when fired due to a light barrel and heavy action.

Quote:
Were your Mark V's german, japanese, or american made?
Japanese.

Quote:
All new Mark V's including the ultralights carry a 1.5"@100yards accuracy guaranty with factory ammo,
For the price,I expect much more.All of my Remingtons costing half as much shot sub moa,while neither mark V would,even with consoderable load development.

Quote:
Krieger Criterion barrels
They are made by Criterion,which is owned by Kreiger,they are not made by Kreiger.It's no different than comparing a chevette to a cadillac because they are both produced by companies owned by GM.

Quote:
I am not looking for a fight or argument I just dont understand what you expected out of your Mark V's.
Better accuracy for the price.

Quote:
I do agree they are very expensive, but to have a rifle custom built to the same specs, and weight would cost a fair bit more.
On the contrary,I now shoot only custom rifles,some of which cost no more than some factory mark V models.All of them are much more accurate,and are built to better tolerances with better fit and finish than a Mark V.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Accuracy was disappointing,better than 1-1/2" but still disappointing.The rifles produced a lot of muzzle jump when fired due to a light barrel and heavy action.
So you are upset about the way the rifle recoiled?

Quote:
Japanese.
I feel judging all Mark V's by what you experienced with the Japanese is like you said, comparing chevette to a cadillac.

Quote:
For the price,I expect much more.All of my Remingtons costing half as much shot sub moa,while neither mark V would,even with consoderable load development.
While it may be true your remingtons shot well, there is no factory guarantee that they will. I have seen and handled brand new remingtons, one that would not chamber a round - short chambered, and one that the bolt handle fell off when the shop owner tried to open it to hand to a customer.

Quote:
They are made by Criterion,which is owned by Kreiger,they are not made by Kreiger.It's no different than comparing a chevette to a cadillac because they are both produced by companies owned by GM.
Good point!

Quote:
Better accuracy for the price.
To each their own, I hear Stevens 200's shoot well, would I own one....no.

Quote:
On the contrary,I now shoot only custom rifles,some of which cost no more than some factory mark V models.All of them are much more accurate,and are built to better tolerances with better fit and finish than a Mark V.
I would like to hear your idea of a custom rifle. My ultralight cost $1600 brand new. Take a look at Rocky Mountain Rifles to see what a custom rifle in the same weight class will cost. As far as fit and finish goes, have you looked at factory remingtons, savage or any other common brand? New Weatherby's are fit and finished better than most....considerably

I agree there are other great rifles out there, my Sako's will out shoot my Weatherby, but they also weigh a lot more. Remington's closest rifle to a Weatherby ultra light is the Alaskan Ti. They share many features, and weigh in very close to each other, check the price tag on one.

Last edited by double gun; 04-29-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I would like to hear your idea of a custom rifle.
Take a look at the rifle that I have listed in the buy and sell section,as it is pretty much the same as most of my customs have been.That particular rifle has options such as fluting,pillar bedding,a sako extractor,and a match grade barrel that drive up the price,but the same rifle without those options was priced under $2000.A blued rifle that I had without those options cost me $1800 which is about the same price as an accumark,and only $200 more than your ultralite.And even that rifle had a mcmillan stock,the lugs were lapped,and the action was trued.I would put up the fit and finish of any of my customs against your Weatherby,and my gunbuilders wouldn't dare send me a rifle that wouldn't shoot well under moa,let alone 1-1/2 moa.