Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-23-2023, 07:41 AM

Default Police don't want to make the call on self defense

In the aftermath of an incident, police have to make a decision about whether there are “reasonable or credible grounds to believe that the offense has been committed,” Friedman explained.

“Any time there’s a homicide, there’s generally reasonable and probable grounds to believe that an offence has been committed.”

The test for self-defence is so complicated, Friedman added, that the police tend “to leave that assessment of self-defence up to the Crown and the courts.”

So guilty or not the homeowner faces huge lawyer fees, remand and a legal mess

https://globalnews.ca/news/9503434/s...home-invasion/
Old 02-23-2023, 09:26 AM

Canada doesn’t have the Castle Doctrine. Can’t lawfully defend your family or belongings in your own home. Not every state in the US has it either. Like someone else mentioned earlier…. Ralph’s 3S’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine
Old 02-23-2023, 10:10 AM

If they can get Canadians conditioned to not defend themselves, even when their lives are threatened, then they have achieved total control over the people, and they can do as they please, without opposition.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
If this turns out to be drug related violence between criminals, none of them deserve any support from the legal firearms community.

Cant preach we aren't the problem while sticking up for the group that is the problem.

Alas, its all hearsay for now. We don't know, and may never know, why this happened.
I disagree. Under no circumstances do I believe a person gives up the right to self defence. If 5 people armed with a gun(s?) break into your house a person should have the ability to use whatever means they legally have access to to defend themselves. Since this person completed the training, recieved his license, legally bought a firearm and has not been convicted of any crime I see no reason why he should not be allowed to use his firearm when he is being threatened by a group equally armed. If he shot the person with an AK or illegal handgun, though I would still think it was justified, I would possibly agree with charges being laid. But he didn't; he shot the person with a legally owned and registered handgun.

The anti gunners are coming for our firearms anyways.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
I disagree.
No. I think at essence we might actually agree on this. Maybe I could have worded my response better.

If i found out this was violence between criminals id have no sympathy for the legal battle the shooter is now in.

But down to the root, I agree with you. The right to self defense should be absolute. Unfortunately its not in Canada. We really do live in an authoritarian nanny state. Its embarrassing.

It seems criminals gunning each other down with illegal arms have no steeper a legal climb than the odd legal gun owner defending themselves.