Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-12-2013, 12:08 PM

Default Jackalope Locations?

I have always wanted a mounted Jackalope,
But am having a really pesky time finding any of these buggers.. So I have decided to pursue a wild one!

Was hoping that if any of you spotted them along your lines you could be so kind as to let me know what I am doing wrong.

I am baiting with a 40/40/20 Mix of Marshmellows, Granola and stolen Left footed Socks. Is this the most effective recipe, or should I add midget tears?

I have tried the famous Jackalope Call, ( Also known as singing Cat's in the Cradle in the nude ontop of a hill facing a full moon) but have gotten no responses.

Also, to make sure I am prepared, I have my 17 hmr and 300 win mag duct taped together, as I have never seen one below the waist and do NOT want to be undergunned. Perhaps its hind legs are also from the deer side of its ancestry, who knows?

All help is appreciated, I will also accept pms with suggestions on where to buy one..
Old 10-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Banned

Didn't you know there is a SEASON for them. The opener was last Saturday. I was fortunate to get one on the ground mid morning. Fox Pro Mountain Lion in Heat call did the trick. It's in for the 30 day drying period but I was assured by my Taxidermist in Olds it will make the book!

Equipment: Model 7 7mm-08 with iron sights in case they charge, 120 grain triple shocks, Swarvoski 10-60 power spotting scope, Danner hiking boots, Jim Shockey Hat, Under Armour Apparel.

Sorry ya just can't buy one...it's not the same....if you pm me I'll give you the honeyhole gps coordinates.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Damnit, Late to the party again!
Seems to happen every year! Why cant the Govt just leave us alone.

Atleast this is one thing the HUNTERS havent ruined for us lol
Old 10-13-2013, 10:48 AM

It needs to be a crescent moon, and you should be facing NSW!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Last one I seen was on the other side of the Red Deer River while crossing at the Finnegan Ferry...Just outta range of my .22 Mag too.
I also hear that the Mexican Bear Dog is the best breed for tracking and stalking this elusive critter.
Good Hunting,
Rob
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Last one I seen was on the other side of the Red Deer River while crossing at the Finnegan Ferry...Just outta range of my .22 Mag too.
I also hear that the Mexican Bear Dog is the best breed for tracking and stalking this elusive critter.
Good Hunting,
Rob
A buddy of mine down that way uses Griffon/lab/ spaniel/ Pudlepoointer crosses.
he swears that this breed is going to be registered with the CKC within 20 years,and that there is not a jackalope in the country that can get away from them.

he doesn't shoo them, just sends them to ground and then sends in a dachshund/West highland white terrier to kill them.
I told him that was unethical and that he should at least keep the head- he scolded me and told me that his dog then brings the carcass out of the burrow!
Cat