Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2023, 02:22 PM

Default has anyone bought a marlin from bass pro/cabellas?

I got a decent sized gift certificate for Christmas, but marlin firearms don't even show up on the website. went in, not willing to order also wont refund gift card.
"keep an eye on the website" they tell me.

not sure how to go about this.

advice?
Old 12-26-2023, 02:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Buy something else they do sell?
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-26-2023, 02:30 PM

It always seems to show up on Marketplace.Something toreally look hard at is boat launches[rocks].Very thin,imo
Old 12-26-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
I got a decent sized gift certificate for Christmas, but marlin firearms don't even show up on the website. went in, not willing to order also wont refund gift card.

advice?
what size bullets do you use to shoot a fish?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-26-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
when you know what you want why would i buy something else?

Ill buy everything from one store, like firearm and accessories to get the best experience possible. i don't want to go buy the gun from somewhere and the scope from somewhere else.
Old 12-26-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
what size bullets do you use to shoot a fish?

not sure how this is relevant, but I guess it depends on the size of the fish and what i was doing with the fish afterwards.
Old 12-26-2023, 02:45 PM

You could sell it to someone here. If it’s for say 500 bucks, sell it for 450. Buddy saves 50 bucks and you pocket the rest towards a marlin….
Old 12-26-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
You could sell it to someone here. If it’s for say 500 bucks, sell it for 450. Buddy saves 50 bucks and you pocket the rest towards a marlin….
that's what im pondering, so annoying. or just buy ammo with it.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
when you know what you want why would i buy something else?

Ill buy everything from one store, like firearm and accessories to get the best experience possible. i don't want to go buy the gun from somewhere and the scope from somewhere else.
Because their don’t sell what your want would be the simple answer…
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-26-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:

advice?
Not willing to order because they have no idea when or if they will arrive, or they would have some in the stores. Marlin and many other American manufacturers for whatever reason can't keep up with their orders. Basically they can't build them fast enough, or are only building certain models. Same as many other brands of firearms for the last few years.

I sold a mint Marlin 336 30-30 still in the box to a gunstore for $300 more than I paid a couple years previous, it never made it to the display rack before it was sold. I should have held out for more
Old 12-26-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Because their don’t sell what your want would be the simple answer…

They said they get marlin in once in awhile, was just kinda taken back. I was like Here's two grand call me when in.

I have probably spent 10-15 grand at cabellas/bass pro when I ran my charter buisness. Reminding me why I stopped shopping there.
Old 12-26-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:

advice?
This is why I refuse to buy gift cards. Cash or prepaid Visa. Best bet sell for 50 dollars or whatever would be appropriate discount? Wait till a marlin shows on the website or in the store?
Old 12-26-2023, 06:40 PM

Bummer. Can't depend on stock anywhere these days. I'm sure in a couple of years you could use up the gift card on miscellaneous things. I do understand the disappointment tho.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
not sure how this is relevant, but I guess it depends on the size of the fish and what i was doing with the fish afterwards.
Let's say a Marlin, and you're eating it.
Old 12-26-2023, 08:15 PM

I have been buying gift cards from people in the last 5 years. Min8mum 20% of the face value. Lots of them around. Just be patient. Great way to save money. Just have to be careful about getting defrauded, I always meet at the store to validate the card.
Old 12-27-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I have been buying gift cards from people in the last 5 years. Min8mum 20% of the face value. Lots of them around. Just be patient. Great way to save money. Just have to be careful about getting defrauded, I always meet at the store to validate the card.
I actually just thought about this potential scam, as I have purchased a gift card off someone and did the same thing, met at the store to verify.
Say the seller copied the info from the card, hands it to you, you verify the funds and then shove it in your wallet for a week or 2. Right after getting your cash, the seller goes into their vehicle and uses the gift card for an online purchase.
Not sure if it's ever happened, but the thought crossed my mind and because of this possibility, I won't buy second hand gift cards anymore. Unless of course I've got a transaction tee'd up.
Old 12-27-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Let's say a Marlin, and you're eating it.
Normally you would use a powerhead if your using a bullet. Most I see for sale are .38 or .44 pistol calibres. I saw a 12 gauge one the other day but idk how that would work because I wouldn’t expect a shotgun shell to be water proof. Power-heads are normally used for defence against sharks, not “offence” for hunting purposes.

The obvious, better choice would be a speargun and a local club member shot a 95kg black two weeks ago with a speargun. Not sure why you would want to eat one that big but some guys just need to be able to say they did. The couple month old babies around ~20kg are delicious and stripies are supposed to be excellent too but I’ve never caught a stripy under 350lbs so I’ve never tried one.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Crazy talk! Lol.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I actually just thought about this potential scam, as I have purchased a gift card off someone and did the same thing, met at the store to verify.
Say the seller copied the info from the card, hands it to you, you verify the funds and then shove it in your wallet for a week or 2. Right after getting your cash, the seller goes into their vehicle and uses the gift card for an online purchase.
Not sure if it's ever happened, but the thought crossed my mind and because of this possibility, I won't buy second hand gift cards anymore. Unless of course I've got a transaction tee'd up.
You point is absolutely valid! So here is what I do to avoid scammers:
Some store will re- issue you a new card if you tell them that you just bought the card from a dude and want to make sure it’s not gonna bite you in the ars. Cabelas doesn’t. So last time I bought a $200 card, I met the dude at the store and had $200 of refundable merchandise in my shopping cart. Paid with the card in front of the dude, gave him $150 we agreed on and returned the stuff right away. That way they had to issue me a new card. Problem solved.
Another time I timed the actual purchase of the item I wanted( it was an expensive winter parka that was on sale for $800). The guy had a card for $600, I paid for the jacket and gave him cash as agreed.
It’s a bit of a haste but you can save a lot of money if you have time and do it right.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:04 AM

Cabelas in Calgary when I was there last looked more like a place for homeless to buy tents and stuff. No reloading supplies and just a few modern plastic weird looking guns that I wouldn't want if free
Old 12-29-2023, 04:41 PM

Good luck finding a Marlin new in any store... I ordered a Trapper in Summer '22 from an LGS... still waiting... I've seen one other Trapper at another store this past summer, but it was $300 more then I paid so I elected to hang on for my other... should be soon they say...