Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-24-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
In this you are in error. This is going to fly.
The program will be run by FN's who simply do not care what the huggers have to say.
Horgan & his pet Dream Weaver have NO SAY whatsoever in the process. Period.
Although the feds are gunshy, they understand something has to be done, and are quite willing to let the FN's take the lead on this as a consequence.

Mark my words, this IS going forward!!

Cheers,
Nog
I hope you're right. The only way this would ever fly is if it is strictly a first nation hunt under the guise of reclaiming their heritage. They are an important species on the coast but their numbers are very high and an controlled hunt would develop a new industry and take pressure off of the fish. I will be watching this one closely.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Years ago we were plagued with seals at Norris rock, Chrome Island, Tribune bay, etc.

I took a CD called "Whales of Blackfish Sound" (essentially underwater acoustic recordings of the different pod of KILLER WHALES).

I found the "transient, meat eating Killer Whale" section , and dubbed it onto a tape for about 20 minutes.

Each time we had a fish on, I would crank the boat stereo, and every single black greasy seal head would surface, and start swimming away!!!

At Norris Rock, we actually herded the seals onto the rock, just by blasting the killer whale sounds on the boat stereo.

Only fish we lost that trip was when my future sister in law, hit fast forward, and not play.

But yes, Washington is doing a big cull on a canal that goes to fish ladders, where the seals sit and pick off the salmon trying to go over the dam to the spawning beds, THIS IS IN FRESH WATER AND MILES FROM THE OCEAN!!!!

There is the same problem on the Puntlege river in Comox. Used to be loaded with hatchery salmon, now loaded with seals.

Drewski
we used to fish the same waters Norris rocks ect lost a lot of salmon to seals and gear. it would be a good thing to thin the herd. the seals would listen for the reel to scream look around slide off the rocks and chase our Coho around usually the seals won
Old 07-25-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
we used to fish the same waters Norris rocks ect lost a lot of salmon to seals and gear. it would be a good thing to thin the herd. the seals would listen for the reel to scream look around slide off the rocks and chase our Coho around usually the seals won
The sea lions up at Langara Island are particular. I've watched them come in and inspect a pink or coho on my line and ignore it in the end. And then tackle the chinook we had on the very next pass. They are particular about size and fat content...who would have thought it.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

The new group "PACIFIC BALANCE PINNIPED SOCIETY" is up and running.

For those on Facebook, they have a new page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1864...location=group

Their management plan has been submitted, and early indications suggest support from local DFO.
Coast wide support among FN's, and both recreational and commercial sectors has been very strong.

I suspect these folks will be getting on with their HARVEST (not cull!) programs reasonably soon.

I, for one, wish them All The Best!!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 10-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
The new group "PACIFIC BALANCE PINNIPED SOCIETY" is up and running.

For those on Facebook, they have a new page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1864...location=group

Their management plan has been submitted, and early indications suggest support from local DFO.
Coast wide support among FN's, and both recreational and commercial sectors has been very strong.

I suspect these folks will be getting on with their HARVEST (not cull!) programs reasonably soon.

I, for one, wish them All The Best!!

Cheers,
Nog
Harvest?
Seal farmers!😋
Old 10-20-2018, 10:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
My first coho was approx 45 lbs.....and taken by one of them bastards...sign me up.
Oh my.....coho from years gone by....would have been some kind of record next to my 46lbs one

Heard of seals taking salmon, never happened to me.

Yet

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-20-2018, 05:43 PM

45 lb coho? Nonsense of course.

Nevertheless, having been robbed of salmon by seals at Langara and seeing sea lions do the same it's about time for a cull. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the same culprits down south are at least partially responsible for the demise of the salmon fishery in Washington, Oregon and California. Maybe the carcasses can be rendered into orca feed?
Old 10-24-2018, 11:21 PM

The seals and sea lions are out of control. I watched them wolfing down whole sockeye during the run. Hundreds of seals just lining the lower fraser river picking them off. Apparently they've been seen by my buddies all the way up to the upper vedder river picking off the salmon in the pools. Thats probably 100 km from the ocean. Something is wrong if you have seals way up in the rivers gorging on wild salmon. I think the plan will go ahead. I hope they cull the ones who come up river like they have done in Washington on the Columbia river. The seals were depleting winter steelhead and salmon stocks just gorging on fish trying to get up fish ladders at the dam. Fortunately we don't have any dams on the fraser but salmon stack up to the mouths of these smaller streams waiting for rain and the seals just whack and stack em.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 10-25-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
45 lb coho? Nonsense of course.

Nevertheless, having been robbed of salmon by seals at Langara and seeing sea lions do the same it's about time for a cull. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the same culprits down south are at least partially responsible for the demise of the salmon fishery in Washington, Oregon and California. Maybe the carcasses can be rendered into orca feed?
Not so much down south it’s up north in Alaska. The salmon migration goes by that state first. The trawler fleet hammers them and the ladder netting on rivers that run through the panhandle before entering the Yukon or B.C. first get devastated. There’s salmon treaty’s between Canada and the states but unfortunately the other side doesn’t honour them. Years ago Canada got feed up and netted the lower 48’s salmon along Vancouver Island on a large scale to retaliate against them. Curious enough the rivers were loaded the fallowing year.

Hope the cull is a massive success along the coast line.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:42 AM

Things are not SO BAD with the Alaskans any more.

They are now required to keep the Salmon by catch of the winter pollock season, and it gets counted against their quota for Chinooks.

Before this amendment, the salmon where common in the seine nets used on winter pollock, and the dead salmon where supposedly tossed aside despite the fact the fish was dead.

THEN the troll fleet had at em on their quotas! The troll fleet were going on the international boundary hard, so these truly where BC and Southern US fish.

All the same, the seal and sea lion cull is necessary. Only predator is the transient "meat eating" killer whales. There just are too few of them, and it does nothing for seals that go up river.

About 10 years ago a pod of 75 transient killer whales hit the Hood Canal, and it was estimated that in the week they were there approximately 1000 seals and sea lions where eaten. Then the pod moved on. Nature's way made a small dent at the Hood Canal, and the numbers soon re built and the seals kept feeding on the steelhead at the fish ladders.

The Puntlege River near Comox is a short river that used to be a winter steelhead destination. Now its full of seals instead.

Best of luck in getting this done. Seals eat alot of salmon, and anything else that swims.

Drewski
Old 10-25-2018, 01:39 PM
AO Sponsor

My understanding is that DFO is not too far away from approving a First Nations seal HARVEST (calling it that as to not hurt as many snowflakes) and that a requirement of that is all the seal/sea lion is used up/sold etc.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
The seals and sea lions are out of control. I watched them wolfing down whole sockeye during the run. Hundreds of seals just lining the lower fraser river picking them off. Apparently they've been seen by my buddies all the way up to the upper vedder river picking off the salmon in the pools. Thats probably 100 km from the ocean. Something is wrong if you have seals way up in the rivers gorging on wild salmon. I think the plan will go ahead. I hope they cull the ones who come up river like they have done in Washington on the Columbia river. The seals were depleting winter steelhead and salmon stocks just gorging on fish trying to get up fish ladders at the dam. Fortunately we don't have any dams on the fraser but salmon stack up to the mouths of these smaller streams waiting for rain and the seals just whack and stack em.
in sept while sturgeon fishing the fraser out of Chilliwack we seen seals in the river at a lot of the places we fished,
Old 10-26-2018, 06:31 PM

First time salmon fishing..out of Sooke. The seals were in the area and my "Chinook"- not "Coho" was taken by one of these. Their abundance has frustrated many guides.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:21 AM

When we were fishing in LA the sea lions would watch for you to drop your fresh bait then swoop in and leave only the head. Very productive hunters. We went through a lot of ball bearings with a slingshot, hitting the sea lions on the butt or wherever we could hit meant we could fish in peace. Without some form of projectile it was hopeless.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-28-2018, 03:42 PM

Same on the Skeena river years ago. When the seals came around a slingshot was the only thing that kept them away.

It would be nice if there was a cull. A guy wouldn't have to go all the way to Newfoundland to have flipper pie.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

PACIFIC BALANCE PINNIPED SOCIETY is glad to announce that we have been given the green light to harvest about 30 seals from Victoria to Campbell River to Fraser River! Basically covering much of the Salish Sea a.k.a. Gulf of Georgia.

Samples of meat, blubber and liver will be taken to be tested by a laboratory to see if meets Canadian Food Inspection Agency standards for human and animal consumption.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4913...8281588287851/

Old 10-30-2018, 02:04 PM

Well, its a start Nog. Hopefully it turns into a full-on business with some sort of yearly quota in the thousands...
Old 10-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Well, its a start Nog. Hopefully it turns into a full-on business with some sort of yearly quota in the thousands...
This is a crucial first step before market development kicks into overdrive.
And yep, only a start at this point, but headed in the right direction.
Soon I will report on the findings, and shortly thereafter hope to be reporting on the types of quota levels you note.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 11-09-2018, 05:29 PM

Is there something missing in this food web? Where is the natural predator of the seals? Wouldn't this be killer whales? Are the orca numbers significantly reduced? Why can't this ecosystem reach a natural balance, as salmon numbers drop, then seal numbers should follow suit. Why are salmon deemed to be more important than seals? Just curious.