Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2013, 08:23 AM

Default Serious pike cannibalism at Wab

Well, I headed out fishing with JohninAB yesterday, and although the majority of the fishing that day was rather "meh" there was one event that is worth sharing.

We were fishing in some reeds sort of over by Sundance and I hooked in to a pike. At first it felt like one of the average little guys that we'd been catching all day, but then it suddenly turned solid. I figured that the little guy had nose dived into the weeds and wrapped himself up like they tend to do, so I hauled on the line and broke him free right near the boat, and that's when I saw that it was actually a much larger pike...I won't venture to guess a weight, but it was BIG!

As soon as John saw it he asked if I wanted him to net it, and I said that'd be a good idea, so he grabs the net and we were waiting for it to come around to where he could get it when suddenly it gives a good shake and takes off, leaving me with the much smaller pike that I had actually hooked that she had TOTALLY inhaled!!!

We were totally shocked. The larger pike had completely inhaled the smaller one...the small one couldn't be seen at all while the big one was on the line.

Sadly we obviously weren't able to get a pic of both of them, but we did snap a couple quick pics of the little guy for posterity.

I just gotta fire up the laptop to get the pics and then I'll post 'em up

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams