Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2021, 01:01 PM

Default Baiting in the off season, for trail cam pics?

I have searched the regs and all I can find about bait and attractant is, you are not allow to hunt over them. I am trying to find out if you are allowed to to set out a bait and trail cams let's say from now (Jan. 3) till july. I want to see what if any deer are in a new area I want to hunt. Can anyone point me to where I can find this in the regs or can tell me if you are allowed to do this or not. Thanks
Old 01-03-2021, 01:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgoulding View Post
I have searched the regs and all I can find about bait and attractant is, you are not allow to hunt over them. I am trying to find out if you are allowed to to set out a bait and trail cams let's say from now (Jan. 3) till july. I want to see what if any deer are in a new area I want to hunt. Can anyone point me to where I can find this in the regs or can tell me if you are allowed to do this or not. Thanks
Sorry, AO is not the place to ask. A call to F&W should provide the answer you seek.

There may be people here who know but there's a 99% chance they'll get shouted down by the self proclaimed experts, leaving you wondering who is right and who is just blowing smoke.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-03-2021, 02:18 PM

Calling F&W would be wise and get your answer by email so you can save it

What I have heard is yes you are ok to bait over a cam but you cannot hunt over it. Sounds kinda grey area to me so I just don’t do it

In my opinion putting cams on travel routes works good enough if you pick your spots correct
Old 01-03-2021, 02:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/archi...p/t-57145.html

Like most questions they were table before and answered..enjoy...I got a cam up now and a load of bird seed etc from the feeders that capture deer, moose etc...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-03-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Laws tell you what is prohibited, not what is permitted. So, you're not going to find a statute for stuff you can do..........that book would be too big

There is such a thing as baiting for the purpose of hunting and then there is feeding of wildlife/use of attractants. The Wildlife Act does not prohibit the feeding of wildlife other than in Parks and rec areas. Municipalities may have bylaws in effect that prohibit the feeding of wildlife. I cannot feed wildlife in my municipality as there is a bylaw prohibiting this.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:35 PM

Set up some on a hayfield, grain field, near a sileage pit, grain pile, under an apple tree in town...

See where the grey is?
Old 01-03-2021, 06:31 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Laws tell you what is prohibited, not what is permitted. So, you're not going to find a statute for stuff you can do..........that book would be too big

There is such a thing as baiting for the purpose of hunting and then there is feeding of wildlife/use of attractants. The Wildlife Act does not prohibit the feeding of wildlife other than in Parks and rec areas. Municipalities may have bylaws in effect that prohibit the feeding of wildlife. I cannot feed wildlife in my municipality as there is a bylaw prohibiting this.
Ya that would be another avenue to explore as have the conversation if it is allowed in your county or M.D....Good point.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-03-2021, 07:17 PM

If baiting during the winter, watch you don't set up a predator trap. We are allowed to bait here in BC and our group shuts down by the first week of Dec as we don't want to attract preds. We usually bait from last week of Oct to Dec. By the last week of Nov, we will start to see some coyotes and the odd wolf make a pass by.

And, once the bears are out and about, other than salt, all your attractants will become bear attractants, which is okay if that is what you are looking for.

Its just something to think about.

Cheers

SS
Old 01-04-2021, 10:23 AM

Down here cats are my favorite quarry. To keep tabs management wise I hang bird feeders with cameras on them outside of season.
Here we can bait certain other game anytime but must stop x amount of days before that species season opens, and even then we cannot hunt over that exact spot. We must be x amount of distance away/new location.
Really makes no sense to me when so many guys plant and legally hunt over food plots. Can you do that up there?

Osky
Old 01-04-2021, 12:07 PM

Throw a salt block out in front of the cam and have fun going though your pics.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:30 PM

Its fine but that spot is off limits to hang a stand for a long time. You cannot just take away the food and hunt that spot after.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Down here cats are my favorite quarry. To keep tabs management wise I hang bird feeders with cameras on them outside of season.
Here we can bait certain other game anytime but must stop x amount of days before that species season opens, and even then we cannot hunt over that exact spot. We must be x amount of distance away/new location.
Really makes no sense to me when so many guys plant and legally hunt over food plots. Can you do that up there?

Osky
Technically not legal to plant anything to benefit wildlife if you plan to hunt said wildlife. I wanted a small food plot but its a no go.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Its fine but that spot is off limits to hang a stand for a long time. You cannot just take away the food and hunt that spot after.
There is no time frame or distance from an existing baited site, very grey area and the regulations state "hunting over".

Quote:
Technically not legal to plant anything to benefit wildlife if you plan to hunt said wildlife. I wanted a small food plot but its a no go.
Incorrect, habitat improvement with food plots are completely legal and advertised through many outfitters in Alberta.

Jim
Old 01-09-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefarmer View Post
There is no time frame or distance from an existing baited site, very grey area and the regulations state "hunting over".

Incorrect, habitat improvement with food plots are completely legal and advertised through many outfitters in Alberta.

Jim
Do you have any examples of Outfitters advertising food plots?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2021, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Do you have any examples of Outfitters advertising food plots?

There is many, lots even recorded and produced through the filming community to be broadcast to the public.

I am sure this has been discussed to death, there should be lots of discussion on this topic.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:

My understanding is minerals and food plots are attractant. If I planted a spot because the leaves were pretty, technically might be able to get away with it but I won't push the rules. I Certainly could be wrong as I have misinterpreted the regs before.

Jim
That's why I suggested not hunting over a spot that was once baited. I dumped a pound of mineral in front of a camera and had deer at that spot for 2 years after. No way I could have argued it wasn't baiting if I had hunted it

I have never heard of an outfitter in Alberta having anything to do with food plots. Please give an example.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
There is many, lots even recorded and produced through the filming community to be broadcast to the public.

I am sure this has been discussed to death, there should be lots of discussion on this topic.
Do your own search. All signs point to not legal including quotes from here and outfitters pages.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's why I suggested not hunting over a spot that was once baited. I dumped a pound of mineral in front of a camera and had deer at that spot for 2 years after. No way I could have argued it wasn't baiting if I had hunted it

I have never heard of an outfitter in Alberta having anything to do with food plots. Please give an example.
Some recent case law would be the Palmer buck in Iowa.... Yes this is an American case, but it does cover legalities fairly well.

Can you provide any case law providing your point of view ?

Quote:
Do your own search. All signs point to not legal including quotes from here and outfitters pages.
To remove any doubt, look at the Ross Creek project which has partners such as ACA, AFGA, Pheasants Forever which plants food plots for public access for the purpose of hunting.

I know of many who have utilized outfitters and hunted over food plots, not a secret nor illegal.

Jim

Last edited by Simplefarmer; 01-09-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Ignore the old fudd and his negative opinion of the quality of answers you’ll receive on the forum. Lots of people are willing to answer questions and we shouldn’t be discouraging content on here.

Place whatever bait you want out there for the purposes of getting some trail cam pics and seeing what’s around. You just can’t hunt over bait. I know SitkaSpruce does a lot of baiting out in BC for Whitetails so I’d take whatever advice he gives because he knows what he is talking about.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:53 AM

i know of a few guys that planted cut lines on their land with alfalfa and clover. Makes a good cover and helps the wildlife out. Also great for setting a blind on.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:21 PM

If you can do it legally, its a good way to figure out whats around. We put a salt lick out in the same spots every year and its interesting not only how much game coes to it, but also the diversity.

I've had a couple of bulls that show up frequently, always at night and for years, that I've never laid eyes on.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:00 AM

food plot, farmers field full of feed, opened up grain silo's. All the same. There is more benefit than harm.

Hunting over the things listed below:

Have a family farm that has apple trees, apples fall off naturally deer eat said apples, not baiting

buy a bag of apples and toss them in a pile, baiting

farmer opens his grain silo to get rid of some old grain, not baiting.

take a bag of grain dump it out somewhere, baiting

farmers field that has food planted that deer love, not baiting

planting same food in a field, baiting... no doesn't make sense.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Jim
I called fish and wildlife and asked if I could legally plant a food plot and they said no. Not sure where you are receiving your info from but id like to see it in writing not just your opinion
Old 01-12-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBucks View Post
food plot, farmers field full of feed, opened up grain silo's. All the same. There is more benefit than harm.

Hunting over the things listed below:

Have a family farm that has apple trees, apples fall off naturally deer eat said apples, not baiting

buy a bag of apples and toss them in a pile, baiting

farmer opens his grain silo to get rid of some old grain, not baiting.

take a bag of grain dump it out somewhere, baiting

farmers field that has food planted that deer love, not baiting

planting same food in a field, baiting... no doesn't make sense.

correct me if im wrong but are they not trying to limit the spread of disease?
Old 01-12-2021, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
I called fish and wildlife and asked if I could legally plant a food plot and they said no. Not sure where you are receiving your info from but id like to see it in writing not just your opinion
I did provide you with the project at Ross Creek. The planting of food plots have been rotated from corn to this past seasons winter wheat.

https://pheasantsforeverchinook.ca/n...wheat-project/

The planting of food plots are habitat improvement, there is zero grey area as every species in the respective area benefit from these. If your worried, place signage so the target species understands the risk of grazing there.

Jim
Old 01-12-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I did provide you with the project at Ross Creek. The planting of food plots have been rotated from corn to this past seasons winter wheat.

https://pheasantsforeverchinook.ca/n...wheat-project/

The planting of food plots are habitat improvement, there is zero grey area as every species in the respective area benefit from these. If your worried, place signage so the target species understands the risk of grazing there.

Jim
This was a food plot that you planted on private land that you hunt over? Well hot damn im gonna start planting food plots everywere and saying its for pheasants and its ok because someone on AO said it was. Cant believe fish and wildlife would lie to me like that
Old 01-12-2021, 02:40 PM

As far as I know you cannot plant and Hunt over fields are food plots unless they're harvested , I own land and I know a few other guys that own land they plant Alfalfa and get it harvested every year as far as I know that is legal I have not done any of that yet on my land.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
This was a food plot that you planted on private land that you hunt over? Well hot damn im gonna start planting food plots everywere and saying its for pheasants and its ok because someone on AO said it was. Cant believe fish and wildlife would lie to me like that
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not... I pointed you to just one of many current examples of habitat enhancement which was done by wildlife organizations.

Quote:
As far as I know you cannot plant and Hunt over fields are food plots unless they're harvested , I own land and I know a few other guys that own land they plant Alfalfa and get it harvested every year as far as I know that is legal I have not done any of that yet on my land.

It is actually better to take your final cut on alfalfa a couple weeks before fall. The new growth will be candy to the species that use that as a food source.

How on earth is creating habitat illegal ?

Jim
Old 01-12-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not... I pointed you to just one of many current examples of habitat enhancement which was done by wildlife organizations.

It is actually better to take your final cut on alfalfa a couple weeks before fall. The new growth will be candy to the species that use that as a food source.

How on earth is creating habitat illegal ?

Jim
It's not it's just illegal l to hunt over it if it's not harvested then it's just a food plot which are illegal as far as I know in Alberta

Old 01-12-2021, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's not it's just illegal l to hunt over it if it's not harvested then it's just a food plot which are illegal as far as I know in Alberta

Please provide one case in Alberta where anyone has been charged with hunting over a crop they planted for habitat improvement on their own deeded land. There is none, just like you will not find any terms referencing planting crops for the purpose of hunting is illegal.

Placing an attractant is a temporary action which singles out your intent... Planting a field of dreams which is used through out the year is improving habitat for all species.

Did you bother to even look at the Ross Creek program I shared links ? It is black and white these shareholders are not breaking laws by improving the habitat and allowing the general public to access for the purpose of hunting.

Jim