Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2016, 02:34 PM

Default The Ugly Side of Solar Panels

The Ugly Side of Solar Panels

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2008/...ly-side-o.html

"New research shows, albeit unintentional, that generating electricity with solar panels can also be a very bad idea. In some cases, producing electricity by solar panels releases more greenhouse gases than producing electricity by gas or even coal."

Proceed.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:41 PM

Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

You can't post stuff like that, too many heads will explode.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-29-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

You can't post stuff like that, too many heads will explode.

Haha! That gave me a good laugh, can quote you on a sig line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opalsasquatch View Post
Haha! That gave me a good laugh, can quote you on a sig line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-29-2016, 05:13 PM

There is no such thing as a Free Lunch.

Grizz
Old 04-29-2016, 05:55 PM

New research? That article is 8 years old (March '08).
Old 04-29-2016, 06:04 PM

It is as expected. Blinders prevent absorption of facts.

That being said any development of a paintable solar panel film would be incredible.

That technology is in the works but a long way off.

Wouldn't it be cool to paint a south facing wall. Hook in electrical and generate power. That would truly be an innovative breakthrough.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 04-29-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
New research? That article is 8 years old (March '08).
Relevance?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:02 PM

Years ago, when solar panels first became available, I said they are not green.
But they are a sustainable resource. Once the panels and the batteries are made, no more gas is created.

cgs

"If you can't be kind, be silent." Anon.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs01 View Post
But they are a sustainable resource. Once the panels and the batteries are made, no more gas is created.

cgs
Just like electric cars.

Grizz
Old 04-29-2016, 08:13 PM

They work fine on my trailer but you could never convince me to install them anywhere else

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 04-29-2016, 09:23 PM

Ugly side I know is cleaning snow off panels in winter. Squirrels chewing on power lines.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs01 View Post

cgs
You realize if you make 10 tons of carbon today or 1 ton a month for 10 months you make the same amount.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-29-2016, 10:08 PM

I guess nobody actually read the article

According to the article, solar panels produce LESS carbon in all the scenarios listed, with the exception if you replaced/upgraded solar panels every 3 years, leading to the OP quote (in that situation it uses more carbon than coal)

I don't think many places upgrade their solar panels every 3 years...

And it is an old article... cost of production is even less now, both financially and from carbon perspective.

And no I don't have any solar panels, but I don't mind reading posted links...
Old 04-29-2016, 11:19 PM

Don't you need batteries to store the power made while the sun shines so it can be used when there is no sun? The panels May last up to 30 years but how many sets of batteries would be used during that time?
Shouldn't the impact of manufacturing and then recycling used batteries also be included in any analysis of long term use and the carbon footprint resulting from this.
That's one thing Al Gore and David Suzuki never mention when they are telling your kids to shame you into buying electric vehicles.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
I guess nobody actually read the article

According to the article, solar panels produce LESS carbon in all the scenarios listed, with the exception if you replaced/upgraded solar panels every 3 years, leading to the OP quote (in that situation it uses more carbon than coal)

I don't think many places upgrade their solar panels every 3 years...

And it is an old article... cost of production is even less now, both financially and from carbon perspective.

And no I don't have any solar panels, but I don't mind reading posted links...
Actually lots of assumptions. Depends upon if in fact they last as long as the hope. Don't know cause they are not there yet.

Also lots of assumptions being in the best sun conditions. It is also missing the fact when not sunny they need back up power.

Also not enough room to build them...and solar farms in the US are environmental deserts. No vegetation...therefore no carbon capture. Cleaning panels use water which is wasteful in those areas.

In an utopian world they look good on paper. In practical reality...doesn't work. See that all the time.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Banned

Hilarious. Did you actually read the article? It's painfully bad.

Of course creating solar panels has impacts. I don't think any greenies are saying they don't. But renewable electricity is still lower impact on a full life cycle basis regardless of how many old trolling articles you post that try and contort themselves to paint the worst case scenario looking at least sunny times of year or other bogus stats like lasting 3 years.

It's funny that so many on this board feel so threatened by renewable energy that they need to clutch at straws and post the most ridiculous stuff and spout the same myths. The world is moving on.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
Hilarious. Did you actually read the article? It's painfully bad.

Of course creating solar panels has impacts. I don't think any greenies are saying they don't. But renewable electricity is still lower impact on a full life cycle basis regardless of how many old trolling articles you post that try and contort themselves to paint the worst case scenario looking at least sunny times of year or other bogus stats like lasting 3 years.

It's funny that so many on this board feel so threatened by renewable energy that they need to clutch at straws and post the most ridiculous stuff and spout the same myths. The world is moving on.

THIS is spades.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Actually lots of assumptions. Depends upon if in fact they last as long as the hope. Don't know cause they are not there yet.

Also lots of assumptions being in the best sun conditions. It is also missing the fact when not sunny they need back up power.

Also not enough room to build them...and solar farms in the US are environmental deserts. No vegetation...therefore no carbon capture. Cleaning panels use water which is wasteful in those areas.

In an utopian world they look good on paper. In practical reality...doesn't work. See that all the time.
Those real world conditions (less than ideal sunlight, shortened panel life, carbon intensive manufacturing etc.) were exactly what was examined in the article posted by the OP... NOT utopian conditions.

The conclusion was that in all scenarios they examined (except upgrading solar panels every 3 years) the solar panels were less carbon intensive... but not 10x as quoted by the "solar industry/manufacturer" (the more utopian scenario).

I have no comment as to the quality of the article or its applicability to newer generation panels.

Last edited by Jadham; 04-30-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:28 PM

solar panels are great for people who don't have to work ...