Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-08-2002, 10:20 AM
nitepush

Default Question for Rob

Hi Rob, I know that you are an avid trapper, so maybe you can shed some light on this for me. I used to trap avidly as well when I was a teen in Saskatchewan, and am now wanting to take it up again here in Alberta. I will be trapping in zone 3. My question is this: Can a person trap on public land that is not in a registered fur trapping area, and if so, where can I obtain a map which shows these areas, so as not to inadvertently make sets on them. I have read the regs, but this point seems unclear to me. Thanks alot
Old 10-08-2002, 10:39 PM
winged1

Default not Rob

This from the Regs;

Applications: Occasionally, RFMAs become vacant. District Fish & Wildlife Division offices
list the vacant RFMAs in their areas. Qualified adult residents of Alberta may apply for a
vacant RFMA at those offices. Successful applicants will receive Registered Fur
Management Licences that will authorize them to hunt and trap fur-bearing animals on the
lands described on the licence and also on private lands that they may own or occupy.

The liscence is issued against the area, and must be had before any trapping activity takes place on public lands. Good areas are tough to get.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:43 AM
nitepush

Default RFMA's

Winged, I believe that you may have mis-understood my question. I would definitely love to some day have a registered trapline, however, what I need to know is: If I carry just a resident trapping licence, can I trap on public lands that are not in RFMA's, or am I limited to my own land as well as other privately owned lands for which I have permission?...Thanks for the input.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:26 PM
winged1

Default trap lines

I used to tag along with J. Wood on his line south of Elk Island (now wmu 936) back in the early 70's. And to be honest I'm not familiar with the current regs. But if I'm not mistaken, there is no general trapping permits. Permits are assigned to locations, for a term (5 year, renewable). You can only trap with a liscence, on your registered location, or private property with written permission.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:50 AM
crown lands

Default crown lands

hi nitepush -

You're asking about grazing leases and so forth, right? Usually these tracts of crown land are too small to support an RFMA, so they are most definitely open to any resident holding a res. trappers' license. The only requirement is that you have written permission from the leaseholder, on form WA-19A, same as you would from a landowner. At least, that is how it was explained to me. Provincial Grazing Reserves sometimes carry an RFMA, if they are large enough. I think J Woods' line mentioned above is (was?) in the Blackfoot reserve. Used to be a ton of beaver in there.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:02 AM
Trappin on crown land

Default Trappin on crown land

Just a few thoughts from what i know ....and that ain t much....somedays
..A resident trappin lic can be obtained from yur local f&w office.The price is 20 bucks plus dang gst!!!If you want to trap on crown land which is not a registered fur management area ....you need a land description and a tittle search from fish and wild life.The searcis a buck a quarter.A quik scan of a county map will tell ya the crown quaters.If the land is in a rfma you will not get the search for that quarter back.Oh yeah......dont be settin traps in the blackfoot grazin lease....or i ll be bakin ya a cake with a file in it..it is in a rfma.The best advice i can give ya in this get rich quik scheme is.....blow 20 bucks and join the alberta trappers association....best money ya ever spent..780 349 6626.Head office is in westlock.Looks like this season the shearing beaver market will still be "soft"The long haired market ie. yoddle dogs an fox should be ok...One last comment befor ya head out to seek yur fortune...attend a trappers education course to brush up on yur skills.Hope this helps....rember...trappers are the salt of the earth.In trappin fur ever Zepf.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Rob

Sorry for not replying sooner nitepush, been doin' that hunting thing lately.

I think Ol Zepf answered your question for you so I'll leave it at that. Hope all works out well for you and please do join the Association and take the course. Best $20 you'll ever spend, trust me I know.

Good to see yer still alive Ol Zepf. Haven't heard from ya in awhile. Give me a call and let me know what your up to.

Rob