Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-14-2002, 12:11 AM
sworddemon

Default A couple miscellaneous questions

First one being about Beavers. I would like to know a trapper's general thoughts on them, like for instance, do you think they are a menace, or a "noble" animal? Is a Beaver just a furry chainsaw, who is nature's big mistake, or are they a smart, valuable animal? General thoughts would be appreciated.

Second is, do you yourself often use pelts for clothing etc., or always sell them? Just wondering because, I was thinking it'd be pretty sweet to have a beaver pelt hat, rather than the cash. Just curious.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:39 AM
Rob

Hey sworddemon,

Was hoping someone else would answer this question but it appears you're stuck with me.

I think beaver are a grand animal. Just think about it: They are intelligent enough to know where to build a dam to create a water level that will sustain them throughout the year; smart enough to know that their surrounding area holds enough of the green stuff to sustain them and smart enough to know when it's time to move on; smart enough to build a lodge in which to live, stay warm and raise young - who told them they would need a vent hole on top of the lodge so they would be able to breath?; smart enough to know just how much food they are going to need while they are frozen under the ice during winter and how to secure it to the floor of the lake, river or pond they live in; smart enough to know when to start preparing for winter; and big, strong and ferocious enough to protect themselves from the few predators who actually could kill one of them (I doubt a coyote would be much of a match for a 40 to 100lb adult beaver with teeth that can chomp off a tree as big around as your wrist in two bites).

This is just a few of their amazing features. Did you know that the skin of a beaver never gets wet? or that they have a membrane that closes over their eyes while they are under water, yet they can still see? Not well because they actually have poor eyesight, but they can still manage to find their way home even in the darkest of waters. They can also close their nose and ears, as well as gnaw wood under water without swallowing any water and can stay under for as long as 15 minutes?

The problem with beaver is that they have to be controlled. They are very destructive and continuously reproduce at an alarming rate. If not controlled they also cause problems with disease, some of which are transmitable to humans. Many farmers hate them and shoot them on sight. I have several farmers who have problems with flooding, plugged culverts and so on. One guy I trap for lost a calve last spring that broke through the ice near a lodge. His motto is: A good beaver is a dead one!

As far as beaver pelts go, most now are sheared. Deep in their fur is a real fine hair much like down. It's incredibly soft and can be dyed different colours. Personally I've sold all my pelts but have entertained the thought of home-tanning and will do so in the near future. Not only would I like a beaver pelt hat, but a pair of mitts would go a long ways in keeping my hands warm on the quad or skidoo. Purchasing these items is very expensive. A pair of sheared beaver mitts, sold through the Alberta Trappers Association store, goes for $85.00.

Hope this answers your questions,
Take care,
Rob
Old 01-25-2002, 12:59 PM
Good and noble creatures

Default Good and noble creatures

In my view all God's creatures are GOOD.
Some times they get in man's way so we sometimes label them "vermin" or "varmints" and call them "destructive. Even norway rats in their own natural place in the ecosystem are good. But man has transported them all over the world to places they don't belong and they cause big trouble there.

Beavers are very interesting animals, among the very few that modify their habitat to their benifit.

I know a fellow that was shooting coyotes and having them tanned with the intentions of having a coat made for his wife. He said it actually takes a lot of dogs to make a full lenght coat. I don't know if he ever finnished the project but it makes a great excuse to tell the wife you "have to go coyote hunting" to get some more pelts for her coat.

Robin
Old 01-25-2002, 07:33 PM
sworddemon

Default Re: Good and noble creatures

Right on. Thanks for the input. A pair of Beaver pelt mittens would be pretty nice about now.

I see the role of living creatures huge in their respective ecosystems. But I wasn't sure how a trapper looked at, say, a Beaver, because I realize they are trapped a great deal, and often considered pests. Nice to see a thoughtful response. Just asked because I over heard a conversation between a couple people on the bus about how "trappers must obviously dislike the animal they are trapping, because, frankly, they are trapping it." But I thought with all the training and knowledge one must aquire to run a trapline, there also must be a knowledge of how all animals play a profound role in biodiversity etc. Glad to see I wasn't wrong. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2002, 05:45 AM
beaver

Default beaver

just because u trap doesnt mean the meat is wasted.most animals live on plants i.e. vegetarian.Icant imagein eating something that eats meat.Thats y we eat herbavores.The pelt is worth money but u get to eat too!I dont trap butn i hunt & fish,i dont waste anything.If anybody has xtra talk to your local foodbank,they can use it
Old 11-06-2002, 11:57 AM
trapping and drying board sizes

Default trapping and drying board sizes

Hi ive just started trapping and ive caught coon,beaver,muskrat,and possum. I was woundering if anyone could give me the board sizes i need. THANKS, A TRAPPER