Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Default Weasel Boxes

I had some weasel boxes out earlier with Rat traps in them. I caught a few but it seems that I spent most days catching mice. How do you keep the mice out before the weasel shows up? It seems mice like to eat muskrat I was using for bait
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 PM

I don't think it is a problem that can be fixed. I just ran more rat traps to keep some active
Old 12-16-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I had some weasel boxes out earlier with Rat traps in them. I caught a few but it seems that I spent most days catching mice. How do you keep the mice out before the weasel shows up? It seems mice like to eat muskrat I was using for bait
Caught lots of weasels when i was younger with 110 body grips and a baited trigger. Set them up in the old coffee tins!! Always missed the mice. I know they are a little more work to set up but at least you will miss the mice.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:57 PM

Great idea Gman. What was the bait of choice?And did you use Lure
Old 12-16-2013, 08:01 PM

easy fix, put a small piece of styrofoam under the trigger. piece of styrofoam cup or the from peanuts used in packing. mice run over it but won't set it off.

alittle experimenting at home and you'll find the right size.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:11 PM

Nube, we used beef liver, cut it up into cubes and let it marinate at room temp in a jar for a week. When it was good and ripe I put one cube on the trigger and some bigger chunks in the back of the can. If the can was frozen the meat would stick to the top. Oh yeah, use a old pair if needle nose plyers to handle the liver. It's stinking nasty!! Rebait the can after a catch.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 PM

Would you put the triger on the bottom of the can or the top? Might give it a try . I would think best for triger on the top and the mice could run under it
Old 12-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Would you put the triger on the bottom of the can or the top? Might give it a try . I would think best for triger on the top and the mice could run under it
I always had the trigger on the top. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. If the can is too big you can push on the top to flatten it out a little and cut a slot for the spring. Works real good, and easier/cheaper than building boxes.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 PM

Default Certainly not an expert

Was having problems with weasel in bird pens last year and mice were eating the bait so I put 2 baits in box.
Non meat bait was the green mouse poison blocks from UFA and the weasel bait was a plain old sardine. Mice ate the green block and I assume died. Caught the weasel. end of story!