Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Banned

Default Rookie Yote Snaring Questions.

Now that hunting season is done it's time for me to start thinking about trapping a few yotes. This will be the first year doing it so a lot is going to be trial and error for me and I've been studying/researching. I'm sure that everyone has slightly different ways of snaring coyotes but a couple of things have me confused.

I've read on here that some fellas like to try to hide/camo their snares with a little grass or whatnot. So, would the fella in this video have a lot of luck with this setup? Also, it seems to me that there's not much in the way of encouraging a yote to put his head through the snare. Video is 3 minutes long. Your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku_z5IzCJPk

This 10 minute video better represents the amount of snow and type of area that I'll be trapping. I'll be trapping several 6 acre patches of bush in farmland as well as hedgerows and fence lines. I have a couple of deer carcasses to put in the middle of a couple of them for a week once it stops snowing on Tuesday. I'm thinking that I should leave the yote trails as natural as possible rather than walk on them and setup snares in natural funnels. Thoughts on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZUAZkqMRoY

For areas that I don't have any bait for yet, I'm keeping an eye out for roadkill, would making trails with snowshoes through the small pockets of bush encourage the yotes to use them or should I just focus on established trails that the yotes have used more than once?

I've only ever snared rabbits so any and all thoughts, pointers and tips are appreciated.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:07 PM

Take all the "advise" in them videos and forget it. Invest in Marty's video, spend time out there and get it figured.

Here's what I have learned so far...

1 build your own snares, this does a bunch of things, saves money, time, gives you a better product, and more of it

2 bait then set. Drop your road kill off change your gloves, and set a pair of snares on your trail in, let the coyotes tell you where to put the rest.

3 my fence snares are my best producers so far, regardless of what people say, after you catch one in one spot re-set it. Just block it in and you might be surprised. I know I was twice this year.

4 the hight to set up for these big northern yotes is 10 inches not 8 like buddy in the video. What he showed you is how to catch deer.

5 don't set up on deer trails

6. Invest in leg holds. Especially the area your in I'd be hard pressed to find enough bush to run straight snares. Make sure you check them every day, it is law for resident, plus draws less attention to other trappers.

7. Don't be that guy, treat your animals with respect, put your fur up with class, and do your best to represent the people who do this for a living and not a hobby.

8. Learn/adapt/overcome
Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 PM

Because the snow is probably going to be deeper in a few days... getting the snare set can leave quite a trail and disturb the snow. I will take a bag of snow along and cover in the trail I made coming into the side of the trail where I would set the snare. The less you add to change the scene the more naturally the coyote will move.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM

Unless the snow is hip deep..... Then he will travel on the lowest point.... Usually your trail. Bag of snow? You can't be serious.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Banned

I'm going to head out with my snowshoes to put out a deer carcass and I'm going to walk straight out into the middle of the patch of bush and out the other side. I guess that I'll see if the yotes walk on my trail or make their own trails. Their trails were pretty pronounced before the storm but I'm pretty sure that they'll all be filled in by now. Trial and error.....I'll see how it goes.