Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 AM

I was goat hunting a few years back around terrace, there was a lot of wolf crap with white goat hair in it so I'm pretty sure they can catch sheep as well.
Not to sure about this 5 yr audit someone mentioned here but I do know for a fact that I had an uncle bragging about getting a letter stating he must be one of the worst trappers in Alberta. He hadnt trapped anything in over 10yrs but still had his line.
The price of hides are pretty close to that of 30yrs ago not counting the spike in prices last year. Seems price of lines have gone up 20x in the same amount of time.
Personally I can't see anyone that makes a good enough wage to pay for these lines now adays take the winter off work to truly trap the whole season instead of making the big money on his regular job. I'm not taking any pot shots at any trapper just stating what I see
Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Oh actually dont baby sit the centrifuges( we also have an onsite centrifuge hand that covers this) nor a floc tank which in our area is strictly for storing basically lateral liner displacement fluid. Our build floc water section in our Int. wells is floced right in the active mud tanks with polymer injection.

And pretty proud of your job title. Personally would hate to be tied to a phone with calgary and gladly choose the position im in. The extra $500/day approx that you get doesnt appeal to me for the added head aches and babysitting. And by many of the guys taking consulting jobs via strat programs these days its not the vastly experienced title that it once was back when I was roughnecking.
Like to see most of the guys sitting in these positions now drill a 6900m play in the Panther River area with the knowledge they carry. Be some scary watching!
Just like trapping, consulting there are some great knowledgeable guys out there then there is now a large numbers of guys just filling the roll being yes men phone jockeys for Calgary!!!

Pop me a PM anytime you wanna BS drilling. Just because one has drilling supervisor in there resume doesnt mean they are the only on with experience or most experience on the lease. You may have a ton of drilling knowledge but you may be surprised what others below you have as well
For a job you want nothing to do with you had no problem letting people think that's what your position was. I don't care what you actually do or not. You let on you were running the show, you are not.

I suggested buying a trapline to help with the problem you see out there in the foothills, this would be no problem if you were actually in the position you let on you were. But you have clarified that you in fact are not the one in charge or the one "babysitting the drilling rig". Again I really don't care what you do.

If I told people I was performing surgery earlier today, people would think I was a doctor. Not the guy who delivered the linens to the operating room.

Now back on topic. Although I agree with most of your views on hunting and wildlife management this "Screwing the pooch" comment about trappers I believe is way off line. I agree there are a few bad apples that paint a bad picture for some but I don't believe "trappers as a whole are falling down on the job" as you stated before. That would be like saying all outfitters are thieving poachers or all farmers are simple minded. Both groups have some of each, but it's definitely not a true representation of the whole group.

As many others have stated already you are more then welcome to join the trappers in helping with population control or devote all your free time to gunning down as many wolves as you see fit. Pointing fingers only leads to fingers eventually being pointed at you.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 AM

very well said Torkdiesel...
Old 10-11-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
I was goat hunting a few years back around terrace, there was a lot of wolf crap with white goat hair in it so I'm pretty sure they can catch sheep as well.
Not to sure about this 5 yr audit someone mentioned here but I do know for a fact that I had an uncle bragging about getting a letter stating he must be one of the worst trappers in Alberta. He hadnt trapped anything in over 10yrs but still had his line.
The price of hides are pretty close to that of 30yrs ago not counting the spike in prices last year. Seems price of lines have gone up 20x in the same amount of time.
Personally I can't see anyone that makes a good enough wage to pay for these lines now adays take the winter off work to truly trap the whole season instead of making the big money on his regular job. I'm not taking any pot shots at any trapper just stating what I see
That's why we spend as much time trapping as possible when we're not at work C Taylor. But my 3 weeks off at Christmas and 10 days off each month are spent out on the line. We make it a family thing as well and spend every weekend we can out there between November and March. I certainly can't take the whole winter off to trap, but I certainly do the best I can to help control the furbearer population in my area. The spike in fur prices is a nice bonus too
Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 AM

I trap. I also see what goes on in the bush. On my line, not a lot of wolves, but tons of bear, which take lots of young ungulates during birthing, as well as the mothers. In my situation, I would say the hunters should take some more of these bears. That being said, I think SRD should consider allowing bear bait in some of these over-populated WMU's.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
For a job you want nothing to do with you had no problem letting people think that's what your position was. I don't care what you actually do or not. You let on you were running the show, you are not.

I suggested buying a trapline to help with the problem you see out there in the foothills, this would be no problem if you were actually in the position you let on you were. But you have clarified that you in fact are not the one in charge or the one "babysitting the drilling rig". Again I really don't care what you do.

If I told people I was performing surgery earlier today, people would think I was a doctor. Not the guy who delivered the linens to the operating room.

Now back on topic. Although I agree with most of your views on hunting and wildlife management this "Screwing the pooch" comment about trappers I believe is way off line. I agree there are a few bad apples that paint a bad picture for some but I don't believe "trappers as a whole are falling down on the job" as you stated before. That would be like saying all outfitters are thieving poachers or all farmers are simple minded. Both groups have some of each, but it's definitely not a true representation of the whole group.

As many others have stated already you are more then welcome to join the trappers in helping with population control or devote all your free time to gunning down as many wolves as you see fit. Pointing fingers only leads to fingers eventually being pointed at you.
Holy cow, i simply stated I have to be at a rig babysitting part of it. Did I say I ran the whole show?? I sit in a shack on site 24/7 for 14-21 days straight. No different than you but you probably at least get 12hr relief. Why because I know a main part of the drilling of these well better than the drilling consultants such as yourself!! So yes I baby sit a part of the rig with more knowledge of it. Guys like you would have a disaster if guys like me, directional and geology didnt all work together as a team so you can knock yourself down a notch your far from a one man show out there on your rigs.

So tell me Tork what part of the world are you showing them how to drill wells??

And I do my far share to take predators out of the west country and try to do my part with wolves when I get the time. You dedicate your time to your line. I dedicate my time off on the cats. So now if we can get more guys out and about on both the hunting front and trapping front we may actually get something heading in the right direction!!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
I trap. I also see what goes on in the bush. On my line, not a lot of wolves, but tons of bear, which take lots of young ungulates during birthing, as well as the mothers. In my situation, I would say the hunters should take some more of these bears. That being said, I think SRD should consider allowing bear bait in some of these over-populated WMU's.
Very good point on the bears. And the grizz numbers in many areas is a huge concern as well.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Holy cow, i simply stated I have to be at a rig babysitting part of it. Did I say I ran the whole show?? I sit in a shack on site 24/7 for 14-21 days straight. No different than you but you probably at least get 12hr relief. Why because I know a main part of the drilling of these well better than the drilling consultants such as yourself!! So yes I baby sit a part of the rig with more knowledge of it. Guys like you would have a disaster if guys like me, directional and geology didnt all work together as a team so you can knock yourself down a notch your far from a one man show out there on your rigs.

So tell me Tork what part of the world are you showing them how to drill wells??

And I do my far share to take predators out of the west country and try to do my part with wolves when I get the time. You dedicate your time to your line. I dedicate my time off on the cats. So now if we can get more guys out and about on both the hunting front and trapping front we may actually get something heading in the right direction!!
That's not what you originally said but that's OK, I understand now. And I actually avoid the drilling side now if I can, I find it boring and too slow. I'm at Japan Canada Oilsands fixing slotted liner breaches south of Fort. Mac, I find this keeps me on my toes more. ( still find time for AO )

As for your last comment on
"So now if we can get more guys out and about on both the hunting front and trapping front we may actually get something heading in the right direction!"

You are 100% correct.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
That's not what you originally said but that's OK, I understand now. And I actually avoid the drilling side now if I can, I find it boring and too slow. I'm at Japan Canada Oilsands fixing slotted liner breaches south of Fort. Mac, I find this keeps me on my toes more. ( still find time for AO )

As for your last comment on
"So now if we can get more guys out and about on both the hunting front and trapping front we may actually get something heading in the right direction!"

You are 100% correct.
Drilled some of JACOS pads at Hangingstone around 2005/2006 with Akita 46. Dont miss driving up that way anymore.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:38 AM

Finding this thread quite amusing. A lot of finger pointing for no reason. Trappers can only trap so many wolves same as a gifted hunter like yourself can only shoot so many. What makes a sheep any more important to the ecosystem than a wolf. Shoot and trap all the wolves and then what happens next.
On a sidenote I'm sitting out here in the bush pulling trucks up a hill . Does this mean I'm babysitting a Frack? Got a feeling you might think your legend in your own mind.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Finding this thread quite amusing. A lot of finger pointing for no reason. Trappers can only trap so many wolves same as a gifted hunter like yourself can only shoot so many. What makes a sheep any more important to the ecosystem than a wolf. Shoot and trap all the wolves and then what happens next.
On a sidenote I'm sitting out here in the bush pulling trucks up a hill . Does this mean I'm babysitting a Frack? Got a feeling you might think your legend in your own mind.
A sheep is no more important. Sheep was brought up as it was a sheep thread that started this all. Its the affects of wolves on all ungulates and prey.
So why not try and balance the system? Right now many areas are getting wiped out of ungulates due to predators. So wouldnt it make sense to try and balance the predator to prey numbers? Stopping huge swings which end in disease and starvation?

And yes trappers can only trap so much. But at this point its fairly well stated by the trappers themselves the do not target much in the way of wolves due to cost and price they get in return. The only way to accomplish anything in this aspect is for both trappers and hunters to harvest wolves and at this point neither are really doing a whole bunch!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 AM

In my area we've got fair numbers of elk. If you talk to the old timers we've never had elk up here until the last 10 or 15 years. With the big elk numbers we've had more cougar and wolves then we've ever had. So that is a question in its self. Do we shoot more elk so we don't have predators or vice versa. It is a cycle I believe. Seen more moose in the last two years then I've seen before. Possible the wolves are making the moose a little more active. I'm unsure. I can't see it any different then with rabbits and lynx. My uncle is a trappers and hunter. He says when the rabbits start coming back so do the lynx. Makes sense to me. He targets most of the fur bearing species but concentrates mostly on martin where the money is at.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:11 AM

Not going to chime in as I hunt the southeast area of the province and don't know the first thing about sheep hunting. I will say this. Sheepguide, you seem to be a pretty knowledgeable hunter and guide. I'll give you the fact that you do seem to know your stuff and I'd let you guide me any day of the week. However, and this is more constructive criticism than anything, you do seem to spew arrogance man. Don't take that the wrong way please, but I think its more your delivery than anything. I am following this thread as its interesting, and you bring up some valid points as does everyone else. BUT....much like a couple other guys on here that I do believe you are friends with away from AO....you seem to have that 'my shat don't stink' type attitude, and if you don't agree with my stance on a topic you're a complete bumbling moron. That's a fair stance to have in your own mind, as I feel that way many times over the course of each day with numerous people, but to convey that message whether intentionally or not isn't the way to roll my friend.

Nonetheless, carry on fellas. And honestly sheep I mean this post as an honest point of constructive criticism. Please don't take offence to it. I actually enjoy your input on topics.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
In my area we've got fair numbers of elk. If you talk to the old timers we've never had elk up here until the last 10 or 15 years. With the big elk numbers we've had more cougar and wolves then we've ever had. So that is a question in its self. Do we shoot more elk so we don't have predators or vice versa. It is a cycle I believe. Seen more moose in the last two years then I've seen before. Possible the wolves are making the moose a little more active. I'm unsure. I can't see it any different then with rabbits and lynx. My uncle is a trappers and hunter. He says when the rabbits start coming back so do the lynx. Makes sense to me. He targets most of the fur bearing species but concentrates mostly on martin where the money is at.
Good to hear you have decent elk numbers!! And for sure the predators will follow the increased numbers of them. Pretty tough call on the proper route. Either we step in and control the cycles or I guess we let nature take her course and let the cycles happen but as sportsmen we have to be ok with a number of years with poor population numbers as the cycles hit the low end and things are rebuilding.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Don't get me wrong I am by no means a tree hugging hippy but the wolves and other animals were in the bush along time before you and everything seems to keep marching on.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Good to hear you have decent elk numbers!! And for sure the predators will follow the increased numbers of them. Pretty tough call on the proper route. Either we step in and control the cycles or I guess we let nature take her course and let the cycles happen but as sportsmen we have to be ok with a number of years with poor population numbers as the cycles hit the low end and things are rebuilding.
That's why they call it hunting and trapping or I guess it would be called grocery picking.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
This is a valid point. I hunt the lougheed, sedgewick killam area and 3 years ago we started seeing resident heards of Elk move in. I don't think its any coincidence that I spotted my first two wolves 3 years ago as well, and have seen the same two since then. Not to mention a couple blonde bears and cougar. I firmly believe its a cycle as well.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Im not blaming the trappers at all but I know since the oilfield activity and highgrade rd started being built the trappers in our moose hunting area have stopped or reduced there trapping significantly. Besides wolves I haven't seen any lynx or anything.

This year in 4 days we seen 3 different packs of wolves and the moose populations are showing that the wolves and bears are doing a number.

Also tons of black bears this year.....I reduced the bear pop by one and my dad reduced the wolf pop by one but not enough to make a difference.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's why they call it hunting and trapping or I guess it would be called grocery picking.
Easy solution I guess. Wonder why in all of North america they run management plans? Might as well drop all that save some money and just sit back and see how everything unfolds.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Maybe because some people want to kill everything. If we hunt and trap everything that is a pain in the azz where will we be in future years. I don't like wolves to terribly much either but in the spring I really hate the elk that have effed up my fences. Doesn't mean I should go and shoot them all.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe because some people want to kill everything. If we hunt and trap everything that is a pain in the azz where will we be in future years. I don't like wolves to terribly much either but in the spring I really hate the elk that have effed up my fences. Doesn't mean I should go and shoot them all.
Managment plans dont just control hunters and trappers from over harvest its there to try and hold stable wildlife numbers even from the wildlifes own doing such as increased predator populations or decreases do to natural mortation. Thats right like with wolves, elk herd numbers need to be balanced at a sustainable number to keep habitat ok and property damage to a minimum. That is easily controled with hunting as we have done for years in the areas i live. Then if between trappers and hunters we could hold wolf numbers at a manageable steady population we can keep things at stable levels and there will be hunting and trapping for hundreds of years.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Managment plans dont just control hunters and trappers from over harvest its there to try and hold stable wildlife numbers even from the wildlifes own doing such as increased predator populations or decreases do to natural mortation. Thats right like with wolves, elk herd numbers need to be balanced at a sustainable number to keep habitat ok and property damage to a minimum. That is easily controled with hunting as we have done for years in the areas i live. Then if between trappers and hunters we could hold wolf numbers at a manageable steady population we can keep things at stable levels and there will be hunting and trapping for hundreds of years.
Time to step away from your computer, get out and kill some wolves.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Time to step away from your computer, get out and kill some wolves.
What he said.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Boy, the life of a Trapper sounds pretty dang luxurious.
You guys get year round atv use,
get to select which animals to trap,
get permits to carry restricted firearms,
and only work during winter?
It must be the good life, having those million dollar trap lines!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post

What? Lay off the crack pipe!!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-11-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
I'm gonna go ahead a say this is sarcasm, if not... Wow!

I will let the registered trappers tear this one apart
Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM

A rented chopper, some road kill and a 45 gallon drum of strychnine would go along ways in reducing the wolf population in the eastern slopes but thanks to our government SRD doesn't have the money or it's not a priority to control the "out of control" wolf and bear population.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
A rented chopper, some road kill and a 45 gallon drum of strychnine would go along ways in reducing the wolf population in the eastern slopes but thanks to our government SRD doesn't have the money or it's not a priority to control the "out of control" wolf and bear population.
Pig blood and sponges!!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
What? Lay off the crack pipe!!
Sorry,
It was my attempt at Sarcasm.
I could not last two days as a trapper.
Nothing but respect to those who can.
To try and compare a weekend hobby to a complete livelihood,
just doesn't work in my head.

How you make your living shouldn't be dictated by what a portion of the public would prefer you trap for.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Not blaming wolves for the big sheep, but for sure sheep in general!!!!! And at that wolves are being blamed for the decline in most of our biggame species in many areas!!

And yep many see trappers as not pulling their weight on this front. Maybe if you trappers are then shed some facts on what is being harvested for wolves and from what areas. Im sure extra knowledge would be a huge asset.

And the poll should show you trappers the public's opinion on the job they are doing in the way of wolves!!
Hunters in general are anxious to play the blame game, some guy gets lazy, doesn't put in the effort and can't fill his tag. First thing out of his mouth is blame the wolves for low populations. Frankly I am sick of that BS. The wolves are a sign of a healthy Eco system.