Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 PM

Default Trapping Supply Stores

Hello Everybody,

I am new to the trapping world, can anybody recommend any supply stores in Calgary or Red Deer? Do they have any used items?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:12 AM
Banned

Wolverine Sports in Red Deer advertises trapping supplies but I don't know what their stock of supplies includes. I order my stuff from Don Gordon of KD Ventures in Saskatchewan. He is the President of the Sask. Trappers Association and runs a first class operation. Just google KD Ventures and there will be a contact number etc..
Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 AM

I buy a lot from Halfords in Edmonton. Shipping is free on orders over $100.

They are a bit expensive but have good service, selection, are they are fast.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 AM

Halfords has a store in Calgary.....but I've only been to the one in Edmonton, so I'm not sure what the Calgary version stocks.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

Call 1 800 353 7864 and they will send you a catologue.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Default Halford's

I've been using Halford's in edmonton for a few years now, mainly because they usually have the stuff when I need it, and it is shipped fast. I pretty much quit stopping in at the ATA for trapping supplies. Most trips they don't have all that I want and I have to go elswhere anyhow.
I did find that Halfords had a bad batch of snare wire this year, which makes for lousey working snares. If that keeps up, I'm off to another supplier.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:36 PM

I try to buy most of my stuff local,but i end up getting a lot of stuff from F&t fur harvesters some stuff they are way cheaper.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Halfords catalogue is online, as well......
Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Haven't been to the new ATA store yet, but will see it tomorrow at the wolf seminar. Also Trapper Gord has a catalog and will ship. I get frustrated when I go to Halfords in person but have ordered online before, its much easier.
Doug
Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
Haven't been to the new ATA store yet, but will see it tomorrow at the wolf seminar. Also Trapper Gord has a catalog and will ship. I get frustrated when I go to Halfords in person but have ordered online before, its much easier.
Doug
And it is becuz of this scenerio, that we no longer have a viable operating store, let alone an assoc.
I find as well that things are not as easy to find at Halfords, as b4 but have had no problems when asking for assistance..
Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 PM

The new ATA store in Westlock has nothing for supplies, it is not like it used to be. They say it is because they are still in the process of moving in but I don't know how long that is suposed to take since they been in there quite a while!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 PM

fntpost.com

I like visiting Halfords but find their stuff expensive. Shipping kinda kills you from F and T but it still ends up cheaper. Not sure why there is such a huge price difference between the US and Canada on many trapping supplies.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 PM

Marty Sennecker, down south in Hays, has en excellent inventory. He will ship or if you are there he is more than willing to offer and demonstrate techniques.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:28 AM

Default Saps

Check out SAPS Supplies from Orillia Ontario. They have great prices. His green beaver lure is fantastic stuff as is his Gold muskrat lure. Also very competitive prices. Is owned and operated by Scott and Kathy Sears. Great people. Contact @sapsfur.com Ph# 705-689-0444 or Scotts cell#is
705-330-4656
Worth your effort
Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
And it is becuz of this scenerio, that we no longer have a viable operating store, let alone an assoc.
I find as well that things are not as easy to find at Halfords, as b4 but have had no problems when asking for assistance..
Bit of a conflict of interest wouldn't you say?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

What is it they used to say about -- "Absolute power"....
Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM

Default ATA store

I know that the ATA directors have been working hard at gettIng the store back up and stocked. They had a couple of bids to take it over but they were able to find a supplier that was willing to consign supplies. So the ATA store and fur depo are still owned and operated by the ATA. No catalog yet but I'm sure they would be willing to give you the prices on the phone. I believe the prices are comparable to Halfords and Trapper Gords. They are also looking for other trapping related items to consign in the store. So if you make for example marten boxes they may help you sale some. Trapper Gord is the supplier but is no way involved in the store just a supplier until they can make other arrangements with other distributors. It always comes down to choices and costs but if you want to support the ATA you can send some fur to the depo and/or buy some supplies from the store or consign something.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 AM

Sourdough you don't know what you're talking about regarding the ATA store. Instead of sniping from the sidelines perhaps you should actually get involved and help, and learn something. I didn't see you stepping in and buying all the ATA inventory at full cost to bale them out like Gordy did. And before you claim he did it to obtain inventory he bought all the stale crap and paid more than he would have from wholesalers.

The ATA store is a drain on the organization and if I had my way would be shut down. It doesn't make money and in todays world isn't even necessary. I support a fur depot at ATA as it os a real service but the store is just a security blanket.

These comments about Gordy are just more sour grapes from those who don't have clue about the real world. Maybe a bit jealous I'm thinking. Instead of knocking the guy down why not support an Alberta trapper who has started a company that benefits us all?

I've been shopping at the Trapper Gord store and it has great inventory and quick turn around. Yes Gordy is my friend but that's because he's earned both my friendship, and my respect ,and I suspect i know the real man a lot more than you guys.

I stopped posting on here for quite a while because I'm tired of dealing with trappers who take more pleasure in shooting each other down than helping each other, what's wrong with you guys?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Sourdough you don't know what you're talking about regarding the ATA store. Instead of sniping from the sidelines perhaps you should actually get involved and help, and learn something. I didn't see you stepping in and buying all the ATA inventory at full cost to bale them out like Gordy did. And before you claim he did it to obtain inventory he bought all the stale crap and paid more than he would have from wholesalers.

The ATA store is a drain on the organization and if I had my way would be shut down. It doesn't make money and in todays world isn't even necessary. I support a fur depot at ATA as it os a real service but the store is just a security blanket.

These comments about Gordy are just more sour grapes from those who don't have clue about the real world. Maybe a bit jealous I'm thinking. Instead of knocking the guy down why not support an Alberta trapper who has started a company that benefits us all?

I've been shopping at the Trapper Gord store and it has great inventory and quick turn around. Yes Gordy is my friend but that's because he's earned both my friendship, and my respect ,and I suspect i know the real man a lot more than you guys.

I stopped posting on here for quite a while because I'm tired of dealing with trappers who take more pleasure in shooting each other down than helping each other, what's wrong with you guys?
I pushed my like button
Old 02-26-2012, 08:43 AM

Well said! excellent post and PLEASE keep posting Brian.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 AM

Was at the ATA store yesterday, supplies are on consignment. So more or different supplies might be brought in by request I guess. The wolf seminar was great, can always learn something by listening, and met some more ATA members. I always enjoy talking to trappers and seeing on the map where they trap very interesting.
As for the ATA, I think we are very fortunate to have a president that has the resources, energy and passion to work so hard to improve and defend trapping today and in the future. The next president has very big shoes to fill. Our board is also made up of very dedicated members and trapping would be in bad shape without their hard work.
Just my opinion
Doug
Old 02-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks Brian, As said don't let folks like Sour drive you off the site. Stopped by Trapper Gord's and was quite pleased with the ease of finding things and the Staff!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:02 PM

To Brian Bildson - I know that Gordy has worked very hard for the association and for Alberta trappers and it will be hard to replace him, but I also think this guy is full of himself and has to remind everyone what and how much he does and this turns me off. When a person does this one wonders if he is doing it for the association or for himself?
Little off topic but I had to put it out there, some people will most likley disagree but that is thier perogative....
Old 02-26-2012, 07:11 PM

How can a simple thread question become so political?

I just started trapping last year after a 20 year hiatus. I only met Gordy at the wolf seminar yesterday and don't know where he stands on most issues. I do like what I have heard from him so far and am glad at least a few people have the passion for trying to help the trapping community.

In my life I have not did anything to help my fellow trappers. I have helped a few young guys with skinning and what not. As for getting involved with any associations or voicing my concerns to government...nil. I have joined the ATA and the CNTA. I hope to get involved with my local and start voicing my concerns to the politicians. I see the day when trapping will be a thing of the past. I am not convinced that our yet to be born great grandchildren will be allowed to carry on our trapping heritage.

I think the antis will eventually shut us down. I am glad for people such as Gordy and believe we have to unite and get our voice heard. Instead of knocking people we need to educate the public about what we do and why it is important.

Happy Trapping
Old 02-26-2012, 08:36 PM

Trapper 92 - There's a difference between being full of yourself and full of crap. What I see is a guy who is confident in his abilities. This guy is a real trapper, has given more of himself to the ATA than any other member that I know of, and has managed to build himself a business empire. Plus, what is the real measure of a man, he is surrounded by family who loves him and friends who respect him, maybe he should be full of himself.

I've watched folks knock him for years now, and through it all he's been respectful to them. He's beyond responding to the cheap seats these days but i'm still working on my anger management so don't mind me.

Just to be clear I respect any person right to their opinion and love a good debate. As long as we deal in facts it's all good, but it's pretty hard to defend against innuendo. Go in peace my son ( see those anger management courses are working)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Banned

Quote:

I agree Brian, the store is definately a drain on the ATA, volunteers, Directors and Executive. A lot to time and money goes into keeping it going. Trapper Gord, Halfords etc. have more than filled the Alberta trapping supply store market. Between Trapper Gord's Wilderness College and Bill Albercrombie's Trapper College's, Trapper Education in Alberta is pretty much looked after as well. I just have to wonder what was the rationale for the big building, big cost and big debt?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 AM

I'd like to hear that one too, why not start a new thread instead of hijacking this one! (No offense)
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 AM

The decision to build was a smart one and makes great sense from a business perspective. The new building is actually smaller than the old ATA space, which in my mind was on its last legs. Here's the facts. The majority of the construction costs was a gift and spurred the construction in the first place. Secondly the present mortgage costs are more than being met by outside income and is not costing you as an an ATA member a dime.

Where's the down side? Should we have hung onto the old decrepit building which was bleeding the ATA in operating costs? Should we have turned down the $200,000 gift which was offered specifically to build a building? Should we refuse to operate out of a state of the art building? In many ways the new building signifies the vibrancy and future if the ATA.

By the way I should disclose I took on the project management of that building (at no cost),so I feel I know what I'm talking about. I challenge anyone to deliver a building of this quality at the the per square foot construction cost we did. The contractor I used has done $25 million in construction for me in the last five years. I state this as a fact, not bragging.
The building is super efficient and will be standing long after we're gone.

With respect 101 I suspect your opinion is based on some previous mis-information going around, which is unfortunate. The original furor about the building was just more smack talk from those who don't know the facts. I was at all the AGM"S and heard the BS being spouted. I also heard the executive address each and everyone of those concerns with the real facts which the nay sayers were unable to dispute.

There has been a small element within the ATA that seems to take exception to anything the present executive does. This is not uncommon in any organization. But if you're not happy with the direction of your organization the proper way to deal with it is voice your concerns, get involved, and even run for the executive if you have the time. What I see is one issue wonders grabbing on a topic, trying to inflame the membership with rumours and innuendo, and then fading away once they've done their damage.

As a member I respect the work of our unpaid executive and support them. I've had my own concerns over the years which I've voiced, and I feel they have been dealt with. My only advice would be if you have an issue contact YOUR organization and let them know. Its not fair to attack them without getting the facts and their take on the situation.

Again 101 these comments are not in relation to your post but rather how i see trappers like yourself being the victim of these mis-information campaigns. Thanks for airing it out.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 AM

The store has only been open a short time, lets give it a while to iron out any wrinkles. If you think there should be a particular item on the shelves let the store know.
I'd like to see some of the coats like a fellow at the wolf seminar had (suede type sleeves nice ATA embroidery). He said his wife bought it for him, I asked if she would buy one for me too but he didn't think so, I had to try.
Doug
Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
The decision to build was a smart one and makes great sense from a business perspective. The new building is actually smaller than the old ATA space, which in my mind was on its last legs. Here's the facts. The majority of the construction costs was a gift and spurred the construction in the first place. Secondly the present mortgage costs are more than being met by outside income and is not costing you as an an ATA member a dime.

Where's the down side? Should we have hung onto the old decrepit building which was bleeding the ATA in operating costs? Should we have turned down the $200,000 gift which was offered specifically to build a building? Should we refuse to operate out of a state of the art building? In many ways the new building signifies the vibrancy and future if the ATA.

By the way I should disclose I took on the project management of that building (at no cost),so I feel I know what I'm talking about. I challenge anyone to deliver a building of this quality at the the per square foot construction cost we did. The contractor I used has done $25 million in construction for me in the last five years. I state this as a fact, not bragging.
The building is super efficient and will be standing long after we're gone.

With respect 101 I suspect your opinion is based on some previous mis-information going around, which is unfortunate. The original furor about the building was just more smack talk from those who don't know the facts. I was at all the AGM"S and heard the BS being spouted. I also heard the executive address each and everyone of those concerns with the real facts which the nay sayers were unable to dispute.

There has been a small element within the ATA that seems to take exception to anything the present executive does. This is not uncommon in any organization. But if you're not happy with the direction of your organization the proper way to deal with it is voice your concerns, get involved, and even run for the executive if you have the time. What I see is one issue wonders grabbing on a topic, trying to inflame the membership with rumours and innuendo, and then fading away once they've done their damage.

As a member I respect the work of our unpaid executive and support them. I've had my own concerns over the years which I've voiced, and I feel they have been dealt with. My only advice would be if you have an issue contact YOUR organization and let them know. Its not fair to attack them without getting the facts and their take on the situation.

Again 101 these comments are not in relation to your post but rather how i see trappers like yourself being the victim of these mis-information campaigns. Thanks for airing it out.

I think the decision to build (correct me if this is mis-information in the dollar amount) a $550,000.00 plus building was not a good business decision. I understand there was a $200,000.00 donation and $80,000.00 proceeds from the old building. this left as I understand a $280,000.00 shortfall which was the amount of the present mortgage.

Just my opinion but after the sale of the old building (which you are absolutely correct was REAL GOOD PIECE OF BUSINESS) I would have thought the Association would have just rented office space and spent some time looking at options. I was also told there was a time fuse on the donated money, but just my opinion I would have not jumped into a deal that quickly over a donation that paid that percentage of the total cost.

Doug is right we have to give the store some time to see how things work. I hope for the large financial investment the building will return reasonable revenue to pay it's way.

Just expressing my opinion.