Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-28-2003, 11:47 AM
What to do with skulls?

Default What to do with skulls?

I have heard of skull mounts and i see some people are looking for skulls of different animals. My question is what do you do with a skull after you bleach/sun dry/boil it to remove the flesh? How can you mount it? Can you buy mounting kits? Thanks! Mad trapper,.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:44 PM
Re: What to do with skulls

Default Re: What to do with skulls

The only way I know is you remove all the flesh you can manually, and the you put it into a terrarium full of beetles. The length of time depends on the size, but a grizzly skull takes 5 days. I'm not sure about mounting though, you should call a taxidermist. I'm in Calgary, if you, are look up Bruin Taxidermy.

On another note what types of skull do you have? I am Desperately searching for a Wolf or some Wolf skulls.
if so are you willing to sell them?
E-mail me at babeboy10@hotmail.com
Old 03-28-2003, 09:31 PM
winged1

Default skulls

I used to use skulls for mounts years ago. But to be honest, I don't know of anyone using them now (although I'm sure some do). A purchased form plus tooth and tongue set saves many hours of waxing and mache'. But if you must, cut all meat off that you can, scrape cranium, then simmer on the stove for half hour. The remaining cooked meat should come off easily. Don't overcook though, as the joints will weaken. And if you've cared for it properly, you could enjoy some of that badger head soup as you strip off the last pieces.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:05 PM
Skulls

Default Skulls

I have done quite a few skulls. Currently I have about 25 coyotes to do. I do as you have mentioned, clean off as much meat as possible, then boil and clean off as I go. It usually takes quite a while, up to eight hours of boiling to clean completely. Note: if boiling from the frozen state, let them thaw out before boiling as the skull will split, and sometimes the teeth do as well. Also, boiling too long, as I often do, does cause these same problems.

Once this process is complete pull teeth that did not fall out and clean the bases, as there is significant meat here. Carefully glue teeth back in...this is a challenge when doing more that one skull, and the teeth are not interchangeable, it's like a puzzle.

Finally, I put them in a hydrogen peroxide/water mix. You can buy 25% HP at the health food store but that stuff is deadly. One drop on the skin and the skin is dead. It must be dilluted with water, or just buy 3% in the big jugs. The more dilluted the longer it takes to whiten the skulls. About 3 days in 3 % works, but careful not to do it too long as the skull will weaken.

Finally, remove and rinse. Allow to dry. I have never seen a mount for a skull, all of mine are on a shelf as is. The extras are given to schools, kids, etc. The 25 this year are just to remove the canines and make a chain...something different. The canines of a coyote are about double the size of what is exposed!
Old 03-31-2003, 10:48 PM
Lefty MacDanielson

Default Wolf Skulls

I never knew there was a market for the skulls. (You learn something new everyday) I was going to save a wolf skull for the boy as he wanted one but after skinning out the wolves and the smell of wet canine I certainly didn't want to have to scrape a skull and smell a boiled head as well.
What are clean Wolf skulls going for? Is there a market for Martin, Fisher, or Lynx?
Just curious for next year.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Re:Wolf Skulls

Default Re:Wolf Skulls

Concerning Hunted Wildlife,
You must register the animal
certain animals or animal parts cannot be sold
there is a 3 year waiting period

Concerning Found Dead Wildlife,
you must obtain a permit
and you cannot sell it

This is concerning hunted wildlife and found dead wildlife
I am not sure about trapped

I belive that if you had a skull that you were interested in getting rid of, and I was interested in
I could pay you for the time you took/will take to clean it.

I am desperately searching for a wolf skull(s)
If you're interested please e-mail me
at babeboy10@hotmail.com
Old 04-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Sale of Wildlife

Default Sale of Wildlife

Just to set the record straight. I have personally never sold any of these items, I have given them away however:

Alberta Guide to Trapping Regulations 2002 - 2003

Page 10: Sale of Wildlife
Anyone may sell the following:
etc, etc, etc
> the claws, skulls and teeth of lawfully taken fur-bearing animals.

I am not a lawyer but this means to me, yes you can sell these items.

I was considering selling skulls but the time makes it hardly worth the while. A good, clean and whitened coyote goes for about $20.00 American. These are usually beetle cleaned as the nostrils are cleaned and intact. Boiling and cleaning the old fashioned way just doesn't cut it for scientific study level skulls. Universities, colleges, medical and vetrinarian schools and collectors all buy skulls. I have bear, beaver, badger & coyote and will look for more in the future. I like them best if I get them but some species don't live here in the South. I have heard there may be a place in Saskatoon University that has the beetles. If I were a full time trapper I would look into setting up my own beetle farm for this. Could be worth some good bucks. $20.00 US X 25 in my case is $500.00 us dollars in addition to my furs.

To see the value of skulls go to e-bay and watch the sales. There's all kinds of skulls sold at this site.

Good luck.

Oh, and I have contacted Fish & Wildlife...no problem. And I contacted customs...small quantities are not a problem. However, you should also check these yourself. In Alberta, to Albertans...no problem!
Old 04-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Found Dead Wildlife

Default Found Dead Wildlife

Found Dead Wildlife can also be sold through the registration process depending on what it is, of course. Found deer, etc OK. Hawks, etc...nope. That's my understanding from the local Fish and Wildlife.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:24 AM
Skull Prices

Default Skull Prices

I just checked e-bay, prices are down and there's lots of coyote skulls flooding the market. They are going for about $10.00 US. The other skulls a little more and there are far less on the market.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Try this web site

Default Try this web site

ag.arizona.edu/pubs/natre...az1144.pdf
Old 04-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Turney

Default Skull Site

Hey great find P&P, I think I'll try this in the upcoming year with my bear skulls.
Turney
Old 04-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Turney....thanks

Default Turney....thanks

Thanks.