Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Default AC Bearcat

Anyone using one or have any feedback on this sled? I'm looking at the 2014 bearcat 570 (XT?). I like the widetrack but am wondering if the 570 sled is underpowered for the sled size. Not looking for a rocket but also not looking for a real dog either.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2013, 03:24 PM

I have a 2004 570 bearcat 156" track that has been an unreal good sled. I work it like a dog hauling my 'boggan everywhere I go. I have a commercial fishing business and have hauled all my gear/fish on a daily basis with that thing since I bought it new.
I've had to replace the driveshaft bearing twice but nothing else other than that.
It has tons of low end power and breaks trail better than any sled out there as far as my experience goes.

I have pulled 4 whole bison out of the bush (70kms) with no power issues. Top speed with just me on it is 75MPH, not the fastest sled but it depends on what you want it for.

a 2014 should be way better than an '04

2 cents
Old 12-21-2013, 06:40 PM

Default Bearcat

I picked up a 2014 bearcat XT for trapping and love it. The wide track, hitch, 2up seat, all what I was looking for, plus the obvious, a work horse. I had it up in the hills in BC fresh powder great flotation and on packed trails it rode very well. I had my sled on a straight stretch up to 92km/hr.

As a side note: I got orange and white. My trapping partner has the bearcat standard model his is the blue and white one. I didn't want to give him an excuse to hop on the wrong sled if you catch my drift.

The rail system on the XT (IMO) can be better utilized than the standard model. I'm also building a box for the back of the sled for gear and traps. I take the 2up seat off when I'm out trapping leaving a lot of room for other gear especially with the 20" track vs 15".

Last edited by stuckeyman; 12-21-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention
Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 PM

what made you choose the Bear Cat over the Tundra?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 PM

Sitting Bull, I've just never been a ski-doo fan. I'm sure that they are great machines. I've been a AC fan for years and have also owned 1 polaris -which I really liked.

Not really sure I want a strickly utility sled but was really impressed with a widetrack polaris that Turbo Mulcher used to own. The other sled that I'm currently looking at is a 2014 Polaris 550 Indy 144 adventure. It has 2-up capability but is a little more 'sporty'. Am wanting to stick to a fanner as well.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
what made you choose the Bear Cat over the Tundra?
I choose the arctic cat because of features I got with the bearcat XT I would have to pay a few thousand more and get the skandic not the tundra.

I looked at weight. Track length and width.
I wanted a 2 stroke and fan cooled.
I also liked the 2up seat and possible third seat for the family.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:58 PM

I have a Bear cat and a Tundra ,,, although the Bear Cat is a 97 model ,,, I'd swap swap it in a heart beat for another Tundra !!!!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Default Ac 570

My trapping partner had AC 570 Awesome for towing, breaking trail, good in slush,

I had a AC660 Bearcat WTrack, Utility 2005. Awesome for everything. It had 2 drawbacks 1.) Quite tippy 2,0 tHE RELAYS THAT ACTIVATED THE FUEL PUMP, IN COLD WEATHER WOULD NOT ACTIVATE THE FUEL PUMP. would have to remove them and warm them up. You could then hear the fuel pump activate and sled would start easy.
I now have 2012 AC Bearcat Wtrack. 4 stroke I was told the relay issue has been resolved Nice ride, we use these sleds in extreme Precambrian ridges and swamps. Tow large fiberglass boggan, full of gas, wood, bait. fuel etc.
Very dependable.

Cheers, Sammy
Old 12-24-2013, 09:08 PM

Default AC Bearcaat cont.

Forgot to mention, they adjusted the position of the motor and no longer is a tippy sled.

Sammy 1
Old 12-24-2013, 10:35 PM

Steve, just came out from the trapline and got your message on my cell. I have no experience with the BC. I do now own a 550 Tundra16x156 great sled, also I have a Tundra Extreme with the 600Ho 120 HP 20+mpg and my xmas present is the SKIDOO SWT 24x156x1.75 inch track with the 600 HO eng. This sled pulls like a tractor yet handles similar to a Tundra. My choice would be a WT skidoo with the 600 HO or the SWT . Go big or go home.
ps you remember how well my Polaris wide track did on our Bison hunt, the skidoo would be twice as good!!
Merry Christmas to all
Old 12-25-2013, 08:54 AM

I've got 200 km on my new 600 etech WT Skandic. Good choice for these record snows we've been handling. Not much heavier then the 550 tundra but way more stable and great deep snow pulling ability. I'm a BRP believer since 1976 and they haven't let me down yet.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:03 PM

Hey Don. Thanks for getting back - here is as good as a phone call. Figured you were out on the line. My biggest quandary is I'm not sure I want a utility sled. I do occasionally like to just goof off with the sled and wasn't sure if a utility would fit the bill for me. If it will do as much or more than your Poo widetrack I'd probably be happy with it.

Not a BRP fan cause of the way they have treated Canadians that tried to buy stateside and the dealers that sold to them. Every thing I've seen of their machines is they make a good product. I've got a dealer looking for the Polaris indy 550 adventure for me. Everyone in ab and sask has sold out so its not looking good.

So may look again more seriously at this bearcat 570 XL. Price is better that BRP for comparative options.

Last edited by bearb8er; 12-25-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: more info