Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-17-2013, 05:02 PM

Default Dispatching animals at night.

I do some of my line checks at night. So a question I has is this, if I have a wolf or coyote in a foot hold trap is it legal to dispatch it with a firearm after sunset?

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 12-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Within a half hour of sunset yes, after that Legally no.

LC
Old 12-17-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Dispatch at night

It is your oblagation as a trapper to dispatch your catch as quickley as posable night or day I look after road hit game that is still alive I have to dispatch game 24/7 its the only right thing to do!!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:35 PM

I use 22 shorts low velocity for my coyotes that are still alive. I doubt you could here the shot from more than 100 yards away…………..
Old 12-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig 44 View Post
It is your oblagation as a trapper to dispatch your catch as quickley as posable night or day I look after road hit game that is still alive I have to dispatch game 24/7 its the only right thing to do!!
Right, wrong, moral and legal are different things I am afraid.

Not aware of exceptions for trappers to discharge firearms at night....but I could be wrong.

LC
Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Within a half hour of sunset yes, after that Legally no.

LC
I am curious where this is stated as law?

The rule is different in different provinces "while hunting"

I believe in the NWT there is no sunrise/sunset rule when it comes to hunting big game.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 PM

A trapper dispatching an animal is a lot different than someone hunting. I believe it is legal and morally right and will continue to do so.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 PM

There Are some questions that just don't need to be asked! This is one of them!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Banned

Why do you have to check your lines at night.....time constraints?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Why do you have to check your lines at night.....time constraints?
Lots of trappers do that work full time jobs. Gets dark pretty early this time of year.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:39 PM

I have had to do it a few times because of shift work and believe me it sucks. Nothing like being cold and can't see very well not to mention it being dangerous.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 PM

Default Has nothing to do with "hunting"

In Alberta discharging a firearm between 1/2 hr after sunset and 1/2hr before sunrise is illegal.

Even if you are not shooting at game. There might be an exception if you are on an approved shooting range , if the exception matters to you look it up I guess.

The question about legality has been answered several times. Posting about illegal activities is a no no in the forum rules I think?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
Lots of trappers do that work full time jobs. Gets dark pretty early this time of year.
Yup, makes perfect sense. Is using snares instead of foot hold traps not a better option in that sort of situation.....or it is what it is?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Yup, makes perfect sense. Is using snares instead of foot hold traps not a better option in that sort of situation.....or it is what it is?
U bet. Snares are the way to go but you still have the off chance of a foot or body catch. It happens and the animal needs to be dispatched.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1000 View Post
I am curious where this is stated as law?

The rule is different in different provinces "while hunting"

I believe in the NWT there is no sunrise/sunset rule when it comes to hunting big game.
Firearms Act Alberta and Alberta Hunting Regs.

It is unlawful to....hunt any wildlife or discharge a firearm between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise. (See sunrise/sunset table)

Regardless of your (or mine) personal moral or ethical feelings there are legal obligations, be prepared if you choose not to follow them.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-17-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 AM

all you need for cyote is a small bat works great one smack on the noggin they have soft skulls
Old 12-18-2013, 09:46 AM

Was more concerned with wolves and possible wolverine. I have not had to dispatch in the dark before that is why I asked the question. I do 80 % of my checks during daylight hrs.

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 12-18-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
all you need for cyote is a small bat works great one smack on the noggin they have soft skulls
Don't be this guy.... Terrible advise. Wonder if this person is an anti trying to create some fuel.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Don't be this guy.... Terrible advise. Wonder if this person is an anti trying to create some fuel.
lmao been trapping for a long time finished a moose off with an ax that was hit by a vehical so new could get it off a busy highway before someone else run into it you don't no mutch do you lol every trapper I no carries a dispatch club in case of a bad catch and it is as effective as a twenty two if you are going to use a gun after dark just do it don't advertise it
Old 12-18-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
lmao been trapping for a long time finished a moose off with an ax that was hit by a vehical so new could get it off a busy highway before someone else run into it you don't no mutch do you lol every trapper I no carries a dispatch club in case of a bad catch and it is as effective as a twenty two if you are going to use a gun after dark just do it don't advertise it
So why would you advertise this? Did you see that guy being charged for finishing that bear with a rock recently? There's certain things we do as trappers that we don't advertise. They need to be done out of respect for the animals we harvest, but we should not post pictures or videos of it and for sure should not brag about them on an Internet forum. It feeds antis and gives us a bad image. This is not against you personally, we as trappers just have to do things to keep a good image. We prefetch ethics and humane methods. That's what keeps us going,
Old 12-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
So why would you advertise this? Did you see that guy being charged for finishing that bear with a rock recently? There's certain things we do as trappers that we don't advertise. They need to be done out of respect for the animals we harvest, but we should not post pictures or videos of it and for sure should not brag about them on an Internet forum. It feeds antis and gives us a bad image. This is not against you personally, we as trappers just have to do things to keep a good image. We prefetch ethics and humane methods. That's what keeps us going,
whos bragging the moose ****ed me off because I had to use an ax there was a baptise preacher there who was comeing back from bear hunting that wouldn't leave me use his gun because it was after dark and this is a trapping forum as you say the man with the delema needs a solution try setting only kill traps and snares I wont own or set a foot hold trap hate them with a passion this dosnt solve all the problems you are still going to have the one in a thousand bad catches that you have to finish off I no this the method I told him to use is effective and humane more effective and humane than a gun in the hands of someone who dosnt no what they are doing or cant see well enough to make a good shot in the dark and it is a f---- of a lot safer for everyone how is that bragging
Old 12-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Back to my point. Don't be this guy^^^^
Old 12-18-2013, 04:57 PM

Default night dispatch

x2 do what's right for everyone and the animal Peter

Last edited by PCP_ECOM; 12-18-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 PM

dispatching an animal in a trap isn't hunting. I can't see any CO charging a trapper for killing a trapped animal.

I check traps in the dark often, and I start checking in the morning…it's called long days. I have a new Petzl headlamp and kind of like of checking at night. I wouldn't want to have to break trail in new country at night though.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
dispatching an animal in a trap isn't hunting. I can't see any CO charging a trapper for killing a trapped animal.

I check traps in the dark often, and I start checking in the morning…it's called long days. I have a new Petzl headlamp and kind of like of checking at night. I wouldn't want to have to break trail in new country at night though.
Hunting isn't the aspect that may get you in trouble....discharge of a firearm in the dark is the issue that will get you in hot water if you are reported or caught.

We don't make the rules but we are supposed to follow them.

LC
Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Banned

Oh boy, this is gonna turn into an ethics vs legal debate. I will simply say this, based on MY experience with talking to F&W Officers. They have the discretion on whether or not to charge someone for discharging a firearm after dark. If you are concerned with the legal ramifications and think that an Officer is lurking in the bush ready to charge you for putting a 22lr round into the forehead of an animal that is caught in a foothold trap, then don't do it. If you think that he would understand the situation and not charge you then go ahead.

I like to look at these things this way......If there was a medical emergency and you broke the speed limit in order to get someone to the hospital, do you think that the police would give you a ticket? If a building was on fire and you ran in to save the occupants do you think that you would be charged with trespassing?

IMO, and based on the F&W Officers that I have spoken with, they are human and capable of understanding the requirement to dispatch a trapped animal as opposed to hunting at night. C'mon, let's get real here for goodness sakes.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Oh boy, this is gonna turn into an ethics vs legal debate. I will simply say this, based on MY experience with talking to F&W Officers. They have the discretion on whether or not to charge someone for discharging a firearm after dark. If you are concerned with the legal ramifications and think that an Officer is lurking in the bush ready to charge you for putting a 22lr round into the forehead of an animal that is caught in a foothold trap, then don't do it. If you think that he would understand the situation and not charge you then go ahead.

I like to look at these things this way......If there was a medical emergency and you broke the speed limit in order to get someone to the hospital, do you think that the police would give you a ticket? If a building was on fire and you ran in to save the occupants do you think that you would be charged with trespassing?

IMO, and based on the F&W Officers that I have spoken with, they are human and capable of understanding the requirement to dispatch a trapped animal as opposed to hunting at night. C'mon, let's get real here for goodness sakes.
Well said.
Shooting at night is illegal because of safety and poaching concerns.
Dispatching a trapped animal is neither.
Care for the animal should take priority.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdave View Post
oh boy, this is gonna turn into an ethics vs legal debate. I will simply say this, based on my experience with talking to f&w officers. They have the discretion on whether or not to charge someone for discharging a firearm after dark. If you are concerned with the legal ramifications and think that an officer is lurking in the bush ready to charge you for putting a 22lr round into the forehead of an animal that is caught in a foothold trap, then don't do it. If you think that he would understand the situation and not charge you then go ahead.

I like to look at these things this way......if there was a medical emergency and you broke the speed limit in order to get someone to the hospital, do you think that the police would give you a ticket? If a building was on fire and you ran in to save the occupants do you think that you would be charged with trespassing?

Imo, and based on the f&w officers that i have spoken with, they are human and capable of understanding the requirement to dispatch a trapped animal as opposed to hunting at night. C'mon, let's get real here for goodness sakes.
bing!!!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:

I would have to agree, well said!
A F&W officer is a human too and I'm sure would be able to recognize that it is the ethical thing to do for an animal.