Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Banned

Default Should I boil my Yote Snares?

Hoping to write my trappers test on Monday. Last week I took a deer carcass out and have a good idea of where the yotes are traveling. I have some rubbermaid meatcicles to put out tomorrow or Sunday. I'd like to start trapping them with snares asap once I get my license and I want to prep my brand new snares this weekend.

I won't have time to dye them but I was wondering if it'd be recommended to boil them in a turkey deep fryer, in the aluminum pot, or could that be an issue?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:14 AM

I would boil them. Really just baking soda and a broken up spruce bow works good. The soda takes the shine off good and the smell to.

I've never used a deep fryer, so I don't know about that for sure. Do you have another pot besides the aluminum one? If not I think I would try that one. Keep an eye on them but they should be fine.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:42 PM

I just use any out pot right on the stove and boil the cable before making the snares.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:10 PM

I don't boil them or do anything to them. It really depends on where your snaring. If you are snaring farm land the coyotes are familiar with fencing wire and other human smells so it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that the snare does not look out of place. Just camouflage it little so that I looks like another twig or grass etc and your good to go. I've never had too much trouble doing it this way
Old 12-15-2013, 12:11 AM

I would not boil them, it's proven that it can cause rust internally, as well a lower the strength of the cable and the Ferrell, if your worried about scent hang them outside for a while, but its not worth your time, your gonna put scent on them when your putting them out. Or they will catch scent in your pack. As far as camo goes hang them and attach a lean pole over the snare and set up a little blocking to help hide them, make sure they don't interfere with your locks, I usually only hide the sides, and I most always put a chin lifter or string a feather to keep eyes ahead and put the head in the right position to catch em. The height of your scent helps allot here too, if its too low you have yotes bump the bottom of your snare and either back out or get missed under. You have to be able to figure out where a coyote is gonna put his head, figure how they walk, and how to keep their attention off your set up and their eyes on the prize....
Old 12-15-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I would not boil them, it's proven that it can cause rust internally, as well a lower the strength of the cable and the Ferrell, if your worried about scent hang them outside for a while, but its not worth your time, your gonna put scent on them when your putting them out. Or they will catch scent in your pack. As far as camo goes hang them and attach a lean pole over the snare and set up a little blocking to help hide them, make sure they don't interfere with your locks, I usually only hide the sides, and I most always put a chin lifter or string a feather to keep eyes ahead and put the head in the right position to catch em. The height of your scent helps allot here too, if its too low you have yotes bump the bottom of your snare and either back out or get missed under. You have to be able to figure out where a coyote is gonna put his head, figure how they walk, and how to keep their attention off your set up and their eyes on the prize....
Putting a leaning pole over the snare can encourage younger deer using the trails to lower their heads into a snare too. When i was involved with trapping we didn't encourage putting a leaning pole over the snare set in deer country. A light twig is all that I used over a snare. A deer won't lower it's head for a twig.

With the deep snow this winter You won't need much camo on yor snares. Coyotes will be keeping to the trails.

As far as boiling snares. Optional. Not really needed unless you have a few snare shy yappers.

Last edited by Red Bullets; 12-15-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:54 PM

I agree with Joe, boiling your snares will cause them to rust and weaken by next season.....so if they don't get used this year, they will be weakened by next year.

And they don't need to be well hidden. This set took a coyote that night....

Old 12-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned

Thanks guys, I'm not going to boil them. I spent the day studying and I'll write my test tomorrow or Tuesday so I'm going to chalk this season up to be a learning experience. I'll see how I do with yotes in snares and try some muskrat trapping after that.

Someone mentioned to me to try "Speed Dip" from Halfords Hides. Has anyone tried it?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post

Well, you can't argue with success! Just wondering why you wouldn't put it a little farther back where the shrubs form a funnel. Also, I guess that you don't need anything under the snare to make sure that they keep their head up. I can think of a lot of areas where I can put snares like this up but I was thinking that the yotes would just walk around them. I had my mind focused on small patches of bush but I'm definitely going to give that set up a burst. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I agree with Joe, boiling your snares will cause them to rust and weaken by next season.....so if they don't get used this year, they will be weakened by next year.

Never had a set like that work for me......
Old 12-15-2013, 07:23 PM

The set was placed there intentionally in the open. I had just finished watching Marty Sennekers DVD and he opened up the world of wide open snaring to me....this was a test run.

This is what it looked like the next morning.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Putting a leaning pole over the snare can encourage younger deer using the trails to lower their heads into a snare too. When i was involved with trapping we didn't encourage putting a leaning pole over the snare set in deer country. A light twig is all that I used over a snare. A deer won't lower it's head for a twig.

With the deep snow this winter You won't need much camo on yor snares. Coyotes will be keeping to the trails.

As far as boiling snares. Optional. Not really needed unless you have a few snare shy yappers.
Your right I should not have used the word pole, stick is more like it, it's knowing when to use it, if a deer has room to go around a pole she will, see it everyday, I like the open concept as well it just don't work we'll around here, due to a bad trespassing problem I'd catch me a bunch of snowmobiles, open I like footholds better than snares for that reason. As far as dip or boil? I can't help but think that coating my cable with anything will hurt my cams, I would think the teeth would gum up and fail, some might say file them. But I'd rather be skinning in my shack than trying to figure out ways to be skinning in the shack. Or wasting time filing when I could be out catching, if a cam is to be re used, use it next year, 75 cents a lock is not a bad investment on a 100 fur. Buy new ones.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
The set was placed there intentionally in the open. I had just finished watching Marty Sennekers DVD and he opened up the world of wide open snaring to me....this was a test run.

This is what it looked like the next morning.

Nice!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:47 PM

Has anyone sprayed there snares quickly with a white paint so that the coyotes can't see the wire? I talked to a guy one time and he said that it works for him . And he said he never boils them.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:16 AM

I have boiled mine this year just to dull them up a bit. I have taken yotes like the set above but also have had a pile of them walk around it as well. Next year I plan on trying to pray them white a bit as well for the open terain like above.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 AM

Default snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Hoping to write my trappers test on Monday. Last week I took a deer carcass out and have a good idea of where the yotes are traveling. I have some rubbermaid meatcicles to put out tomorrow or Sunday. I'd like to start trapping them with snares asap once I get my license and I want to prep my brand new snares this weekend.

I won't have time to dye them but I was wondering if it'd be recommended to boil them in a turkey deep fryer, in the aluminum pot, or could that be an issue?
yes i would boil them with baking soda ,, i have with mine for years
Old 12-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc9239 View Post
yes i would boil them with baking soda ,, i have with mine for years
Me to takes the shine of them it will not make them rust or weaken them in any way.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Banned

It looks like there are mixed thoughts about this.

I've been researching online and I was wondering about this idea:

What if I put a dozen in the dishwasher on sanitize/dry?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:15 PM

I went too boil a couple dzn the other day and realized that I am out of baking soda so I just turned off the stove and poured off the water. Maybe I just have hard water but just a short boil in tap water dulled them noticeably. I would still boil in baking soda though