Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-12-2019, 08:15 AM

To me its a very nice example of a good box lock. If it was me I'd purchase a flat of 2.5" shells from Clay and shoot it. I have fun with my old English 2 3/4" double, the only issue I have found was the chokes are a little tight, but that can be modified by a good gunsmith or to me the easiest solution was to us English fibre wad shells i.e. 2 1/2" Westly Richards, the old fibre wad design seem to allow the shot column to open up a choke size or so.

Perhaps Cat can help me here, are English shot sizes the same as what we are used to? It seems to me that their #6 is more similar to our #71/2, or am I wrong??
Old 04-12-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
To me its a very nice example of a good box lock. If it was me I'd purchase a flat of 2.5" shells from Clay and shoot it. I have fun with my old English 2 3/4" double, the only issue I have found was the chokes are a little tight, but that can be modified by a good gunsmith or to me the easiest solution was to us English fibre wad shells i.e. 2 1/2" Westly Richards, the old fibre wad design seem to allow the shot column to open up a choke size or so.

Perhaps Cat can help me here, are English shot sizes the same as what we are used to? It seems to me that their #6 is more similar to our #71/2, or am I wrong??
http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm
Old 04-12-2019, 09:03 AM

UK #6 = US #7= 0.100 inch
Old 04-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post

English and metric sizes do not automatically correspond with North american sizes , and even between manufacturers there can be some difference in actual diameters

My shotmaker does not cast the same diameter of shot with a colder pot, or a different alloy of tin, either.
Also, if a person hand loads, you can buy spreader inserts for your shot charge, and even make them out of stiff paper like old business cards or thin cardboard.
These spreaders generally open the choke patterns up by one choke size, but then again, NOTHING is absolute!
Cat