Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Well I read all four pieces of the article, I could have saved myself a ton of typing by just pasting McMillans article instead. Glad I and the experts agree.

If you notice however one method, the one they use, matches your preferred version of Pillar bedding, the other they recognize as very successful and used by a different recognized expert, matches Chuck's method. Like I said, many methods will work, it comes down to which you prefer and which you find easiest to do well. Finally, Hersey of Heresy they even admit pillars aren't really needed as long as you make it so the stock is not easily compressed, which can be accomplished by just glass bedding.
The crux of this argument is that a do it yourselfer cant do any of the above. That is simply untrue. They can. I’ve done it several ways quite successfully and if I can figure it out most people with some effort can do the same.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I have a rifle bedded by McMillan and where did I say I didn’t like the bedding job you showed?
The pillars on the job I had done weren’t staring you in the face. They were done properly. But apparently the bedding was “rough” by some other people’s account.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The crux of this argument is that a do it yourselfer cant do any of the above. That is simply untrue. They can. I’ve done it several ways quite successfully and if I can figure it out most people with some effort can do the same.
Well I have probably done north of 1000 rifles, I would bet that is far more than the average gunsmith. On top of that, most of the gunsmiths you find in Canada have no formal training in wood, carving, checkering, inletting, bedding etc just years of self taught experience. (Some have formal machinist training but that isn't the same thing). To say they are professionals just because they hang a shingle is stretching it some, though you do have to have the right equipment to do a good job.

Long and short, I have seen some very good smith done bedding jobs, some average, and I have seen some real crappy jobs; just like do it yourself jobs, some great, some average and some terrible. I think I would be willing to put my stock making and bedding work up against the vast majority of professionals but as in everything else, I believe everyone should be free to pursue the avenue that suits them best. I won't tell them what to do as long as they don't try to tell me what I can and can't do.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Well I have probably done north of 1000 rifles, I would bet that is far more than the average gunsmith. On top of that, most of the gunsmiths you find in Canada have no formal training in wood, carving, checkering, inletting, bedding etc just years of self taught experience. (Some have formal machinist training but that isn't the same thing). To say they are professionals just because they hang a shingle is stretching it some, though you do have to have the right equipment to do a good job.

Long and short, I have seen some very good smith done bedding jobs, some average, and I have seen some real crappy jobs; just like do it yourself jobs, some great, some average and some terrible. I think I would be willing to put my stock making and bedding work up against the vast majority of professionals but as in everything else, I believe everyone should be free to pursue the avenue that suits them best. I won't tell them what to do as long as they don't try to tell me what I can and can't do.
How many cans of Devcon does it take to bed 1000 rifles?
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 04-11-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
How many cans of Devcon does it take to bed 1000 rifles?
When I started bedding rifles there was noDevcon. First ones we did by using prussian blue to get a perfect wood to metal fit then gluing the gun to the stock. Then we started using fiberglass resin and cloth or flox. In the early 70s Brownelles came out with Accraglass kits. That was follwed by Microbed which was a great improvement and the first of the putty type bedding compounds. The first time I tried Devon would have been the mid 80s. I still used alot of Microbed till thet quit making it. I tried most stuff but Devcon is now the go to. It take suprisingly little compound to do a gun.