Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2023, 12:28 PM

Default Any GMC truck mechanics on hear.

I have a 2018 HD3500 and the lowest setting i can set my cruse control is 40 k
Is there any way it can be set lower . Can I take it in and have my ECM changed .
Old 11-06-2023, 02:55 PM

What would be the use of cruise control this low? Im genuinely curious.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:26 PM

School zones and others zones posted less than 40 kph
Old 11-06-2023, 05:30 PM

I had to replace my ecm in my 2012 ram 3500, it was 6 grand…

Might wanna rethink that, mines a Cummins…I’m sure a stealership can just plug into the computer and change settings no??
Old 11-06-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
School zones and others zones posted less than 40 kph
I feel like the use of cruise control in places like this would actually be more dangerous than ACTUALLY DRIVING! Using cruise control in a school or playground zone is horrible idea, please don’t.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
I feel like the use of cruise control in places like this would actually be more dangerous than ACTUALLY DRIVING! Using cruise control in a school or playground zone is horrible idea, please don’t.
I totally disagree with your logic. If my cruise allowed me to I would not have to be continually watching my speed to avoid an expensive ticket. I could then focus my attention on what is happening around me. A quick tap on the brake, which is a natural response to a situation needing attention, and the cruise is off and I could then further brake if required to.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:34 PM

If it was a dodge, you could simply deploy those silly mirrors to maximum extension .... hitting all those parked cars and trees would slow you down !!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2023, 07:58 PM

Pretty sure that has been the way GM’s cruise has worked since the nineties. Basically after the old style vaccuum style cruise and they went to electronic.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:58 PM

Yes you can change the cruise setting but it is going to cost you an arm and a leg to do.

I am not 100% sure on the 2017+ trucks as I am not as familiar with the new trucks, I primarily tune the GMC/Chevy pre LML diesel and gas trucks, but no one has let me touch a newer gas truck yet.

Is it a gas or a diesel? The diesel truck will need the ECM unlocked, which I think requires you to send your ECM to a 3rd party. There might also be partial unlocks. I think ball park you are looking at 500$ for that. You then need to find or choose a tuner that will make the adjustment for you... Last quote that I got, granted it has been a couple years, was 8000$ for diesel tuning services and support (included custom ECM or Unlock). Could be cheaper now that people have had more time to play with that ECM, or more expensive cause that's how everything feels like these days

So if it is a diesel and you also want a tune, you could look at that route, but that might not be a parameter that anyone has focused on figuring out.

If it is a gas, it depends on software support for the ECM and if the ECM is unlocked. I have not checked for the 2018 trucks, but the 2.0L turbo 2017 - 2018 Cadillac ECMs are unlocked (or my 2017 is anyway). If you have it adjusted through EFI Live, you are looking at 200$ for the license (or that is what it used to cost me per ecm License) and then whatever the tuner wants for the services (provided they can manipulate that parameter). In my opinion is not really worth it for a cruise control adjustment, there is very marginal power to be picked up on a NA gas in a 3500 so you would just be paying for the cruise adjustment.

Stealership might be able to do it, but its unlikely that they will or that the people you talk to will know if it is possible. They can manipulate for tire sizes and things though, so worth asking them
Old 11-07-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I have to agree...its takes on average less than a minute to traverse most school zones...cruise control is for the hwy, not stop/start city driving.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I guess that I could use the crawl/trail mode in my truck , as it can be used up to 20mph, but I would never use it in a school or playground zone.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-07-2023 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:18 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
The fact is most school zones have children present on the street a very low percentage of time time, and assuming a driver has the common sense to not day dream on cruise control in the times children are coming and going then cruise at 30kph is zero issue. In fact if you want to argue safety, one can be more prepared to smack the brakes in a heartbeat versus letting go of the gas and braking.

Point being that is a pretty generic call of danger when really it isn't.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-07-2023, 03:21 PM

you can actually do 39 km/hr, use it frequently, lol
Old 11-07-2023, 03:42 PM

I've had lots of times where it would be nice to set the cruise at a low speed, for example towing farm implements etc.

Moose Jaw to Calgary towing a grain cart with your foot on the peddle at 40K comes to mind....
Old 11-07-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I've had lots of times where it would be nice to set the cruise at a low speed, for example towing farm implements etc.

Moose Jaw to Calgary towing a grain cart with your foot on the peddle at 40K comes to mind....
This I could see.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:39 PM

I usually just gear down in those slow areas, that way I don't need to feather the peddle so much to stay under the limit and it's easier to keep a slow, steady speed (for me anyway). Bonus is you slow down a bit quicker as well when you let off.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
I have to agree...its takes on average less than a minute to traverse most school zones...cruise control is for the hwy, not stop/start city driving.
You should move to Lethbridge where they made all school zones into playground zones and they extended a lot of theses zones so now it takes more time to get through these zones. The times are from 7:30 am to 9:00 pm. I can set the cruise to 30 km/hr on my Ford.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:46 PM

I thought on the older trucks you could set it at the minimum speed so in your case 40 then hit the Set - (minus) and drop your speed down lower then the lowest set speed. Give it a try see if that works for you.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:42 AM

I guess I should of said its not for street use . I need a speed around 10 kph .
Even if i could set the throttle a little higher that would be great.
If it had a carb it would be easy just to set the idle around 1000 rpm just for the day . New technology is very hard to work around in your garage .
Old 11-08-2023, 08:07 AM

When I was a kid, I put a throttle cable on my 64 Dodge half ton. It was great for feeding the cows on my own. Put it in first gear, give it a bit of gas, climb into the back and start breaking bales. It just rumbled its way across the pasture. Slow enough that the cows would get out of its way and enough power to climb out of a badger hole if it hit one.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
I thought on the older trucks you could set it at the minimum speed so in your case 40 then hit the Set - (minus) and drop your speed down lower then the lowest set speed. Give it a try see if that works for you.
Hmmm, I never thought of that. I'm going to see if that works on mine!
Old 11-11-2023, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Tried this on a 2023 Dodge RAM Classic rental I currently have - the min speed to set seems to be 40km/hr, but you can then decrease it down to a low of 32km/hr. Have to try it on my older GM sometime out of curiosity.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:01 PM

my 05 lly is the same, 40
2012 dodge is 50, but with 40s on it's more like 65
Old 11-11-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Tried this on a 2023 Dodge RAM Classic rental I currently have - the min speed to set seems to be 40km/hr, but you can then decrease it down to a low of 32km/hr. Have to try it on my older GM sometime out of curiosity.
only drops to 39 on the gmc
Old 11-11-2023, 06:56 PM

If i could have it so the idle would be 1000 rpm that would be perfect . Then i would be going around 10 KMPH