Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 07:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up Yak Attack Laker Style

Well launched the beast yesterday for a 4 mile paddle to destination X on Cold Lake...never caught a laker in the yak yet so little breeze and clear skies was a good time to get my butt in gear...9 am on the water......paddle out and drag a spoon with no results just cant justify not having something in the water....at my destination 1hr ish later time to put on a Gibbs jigging minnow....well after a few moments got impatient and took a good look at the action....put a slight more bend which increased the wobble action in it and send it down....a few cranks and a hefty yank...bam...laker on....ok...get phone...set to camera...reel up...oh and I was using my ice fishing rod too so cant horse'em….5 minute battle...lake to boat...pics and then over she went to grow to 30lbs...total time on water was 8hrs...and 8 miles of paddling....oh and stretched out to enjoy a beauty nap too…..lakers cooperated....and thanks to all that were out there and spotted the fool in the yak for not running me over

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3608.jpg

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-01-2020, 08:53 AM

I need to add this to my bucketlist. I've only cought lakers ice fishing.

8 km paddle is quite far, looks like a blast!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-01-2020, 02:57 PM

Why wouldn't you run up to English Bay or Medley River and only do a 1 km paddle. You crazy lol!
Old 08-01-2020, 03:34 PM

Nice !!

Dodger.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:39 PM

You kayak people need to stop posting about fishing before you cost me money and an argument with the wife
Old 08-01-2020, 04:07 PM

Good job buddy!

Great day I’ll bet!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-01-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
You kayak people need to stop posting about fishing before you cost me money and an argument with the wife
Just tell your wife kayak fishing is trending right now. Its also a good healthy weight loss program haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-01-2020, 04:24 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I need to add this to my bucketlist. I've only cought lakers ice fishing.

8 km paddle is quite far, looks like a blast!
8 miles total that day whatever that is in clicks I don't know...on the water at 9 am off at 5 pm....drank 4 litres of water and ate two sammiches…..was in bed 730,,,,,after a cold shower and a hot meal...whipped....a good full day though for an ol'fart

back at it today on ethal lake for eyes and perch....but dam pike got in the way...they didn't get the memo....I need sleep...must fish....

20200801_145011.jpg

Old 08-01-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Why wouldn't you run up to English Bay or Medley River and only do a 1 km paddle. You crazy lol!
true but I like to see whats what....kinda like a busy body....got my garmin fish liar now part of the game ..must find bait balls...shelves....structure then wet a line but along the way I throw something over just incase my dream laker shows up.....

Last edited by 58thecat; 08-01-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Just tell your wife kayak fishing is trending right now. Its also a good healthy weight loss program haha
Are you assuming I am fat? You sir just hurt my feelings lol
Old 08-02-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well launched the beast yesterday for a 4 mile paddle to destination X on Cold Lake...never caught a laker in the yak yet so little breeze and clear skies was a good time to get my butt in gear...9 am on the water......paddle out and drag a spoon with no results just cant justify not having something in the water....at my destination 1hr ish later time to put on a Gibbs jigging minnow....well after a few moments got impatient and took a good look at the action....put a slight more bend which increased the wobble action in it and send it down....a few cranks and a hefty yank...bam...laker on....ok...get phone...set to camera...reel up...oh and I was using my ice fishing rod too so cant horse'em….5 minute battle...lake to boat...pics and then over she went to grow to 30lbs...total time on water was 8hrs...and 8 miles of paddling....oh and stretched out to enjoy a beauty nap too…..lakers cooperated....and thanks to all that were out there and spotted the fool in the yak for not running me over

Attachment 165812

Attachment 165813

Attachment 165814
Nice job when are you going to try sturgeon......lol
Old 08-03-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldlaketackleshack View Post
Nice job when are you going to try sturgeon......lol
next year if all works out...got a few areas scoped out from a few years ago...really looking forward to the battle...

598.jpg

Old 08-03-2020, 09:57 PM

I am pretty sure you already know this but there are good producing spots much closer than 4 miles from launches.

I know spots for kayak sturgeon both AB and BC .
Old 08-04-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I am pretty sure you already know this but there are good producing spots much closer than 4 miles from launches.

I know spots for kayak sturgeon both AB and BC .
Ya but....what about that other spot....and this spot or over there.....my little mind gets thinking and next thing ya know...holy crap I gotta head back now

Oh and I will pm you when I figure out a timeline for sturgeon....miss your input on yaks on this forum.....

Oh so I watched a YouTube vid and a fella uses a clothes line retractable attached to his yak and a ball for a downriver for a anchor....kinda neat set up....thoughts on anchoring?

Old 08-04-2020, 06:11 AM

I havent been doing much fishing last couple years but starting to feel a bit better so maybe can start getting out more now. I went on a good trip this weekend (no kayak though), will post about it later.

I've been out in Winnipeg for work and will be out here for a while still, probably till early or mid September. I might have to do a fall trip for sturgeon once I am back.

Anchoring on the river is the one of the trickiest things to do in a kayak and have to be careful where and how you anchor. Closest I have come to flipping kayak was first time I tried anchoring in river. Dont try to anchor in fast water, make sure kayak is pointed right direction before dropping anchor, have anchor rope in such a way that it can quickly and easily be detached, buoy to hold anchor rope up when disconnecting from anchor is good but has to be larger then you might think.

I dont use anything fancy for anchoring, 5 lb grapple anchor, floating line, buoy tied in line then anchor rope through anchor trolley positioned at back of kayak and up to a tie off point for easy access where I tie a quick release not although cleats that can be released under tension arguably work better (need to be releasable say if hit by a log/tree, it happens).
Old 08-04-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I havent been doing much fishing last couple years but starting to feel a bit better so maybe can start getting out more now. I went on a good trip this weekend (no kayak though), will post about it later.

I've been out in Winnipeg for work and will be out here for a while still, probably till early or mid September. I might have to do a fall trip for sturgeon once I am back.

Anchoring on the river is the one of the trickiest things to do in a kayak and have to be careful where and how you anchor. Closest I have come to flipping kayak was first time I tried anchoring in river. Dont try to anchor in fast water, make sure kayak is pointed right direction before dropping anchor, have anchor rope in such a way that it can quickly and easily be detached, buoy to hold anchor rope up when disconnecting from anchor is good but has to be larger then you might think.

I dont use anything fancy for anchoring, 5 lb grapple anchor, floating line, buoy tied in line then anchor rope through anchor trolley positioned at back of kayak and up to a tie off point for easy access where I tie a quick release not although cleats that can be released under tension arguably work better (need to be releasable say if hit by a log/tree, it happens).
If your I. Winnipeg do yourself a favour an do a trip to Lockport an catch some catfish they are unbelievably strong. I have did two trips there an plan sometime to do another.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:23 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Thx for the input....hope you get going again...keep us posted...your shared experience is very much appreciated.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:54 AM

Achievement unlocked! Well done can't wait too see you getting towed around by a 30lber out there.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
LOL, it's really all about the exercise...right?
Old 08-07-2020, 09:42 PM

Nice fish what make of kayak is that ?
Old 08-08-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
Nice fish what make of kayak is that ?
Pelican 120 strike....