Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Trap line or Real Estate.

Hi Guys

I just joined and wanted to let everyone know I appreciate everyones opinion on all important subjects.

My name is Gary Steeves and my father Clarence Steeves had the oldest registered trap line in northern Alberta since 1940 till the late 1990s.I was raised on the trap line and helped Dad on his guiding operation as well but was not around to get the trap line from Dad before he died. It just makes me sick to see the heritage of my father in this and if he knew what was going on, he would turn over in his grave. Now the trap line is just a piece of Real Estate and not a functional trap line.

I value your options and again want to open the subject of recreational trap lines.

How do I even start and what type of evidence do I have to get to get my Dads trap line back? I know for a fact the present registered owner is not even working the trap line and he locks his cabin door all the time. From what I have heard it is just a get away for him and his family but he has partners who do trap but only a bit as I know he can’t even skin a beaver. Can you help as I would appreciate any input from you?

Thanks Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nov Camping 006.jpg (110.1 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Nov Camping 021.jpg (125.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Nov Camping 031.jpg (108.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Nov Camping 034.jpg (127.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Nov Camping 037.jpg (121.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Cold Tracks 002.jpg (31.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Dad 001.jpg (135.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 2036975.jpg (66.8 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by gsteeves; 12-10-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:10 PM

Default trapline

Hi Garry i have hunted for years on your dads old trapline. I never met your dad but sure would of like to.The trapline situation, is a very touchy area. If you are really concerned get a hold of Gordy Klassen the president of alberta trappers assocation. They are triing to set something up to make trappers use there traplines for more then just recreation. I do have a trapline but would have like to got a chance to get your fathers or be a partner on it. I truly would like to see it be better used.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Thanks

Sure would like to know who you are?
I may need a good partner!!

I was behind the camera but we had a good day beaver trapping!
Dad on the right, Jerry on the left.
Thanks Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cold Tracks 022.jpg (109.7 KB, 173 views)
Old 11-26-2007, 09:41 AM

Sure would be nice to see somthing done about the over priced under used trap lines.

For younger people who actually want to trap, there is virtually no way to afford paying prices like 60K+.

Minimum quota and end the private hunting camps.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:47 AM
sheephunter

It would definitely be worth talking to Gordy Klassen, Gary. I know this issue is at the forefront with the Alberta Trappers Association right now and he might be able to shed some light on their progress.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

Default getting it back

Sorry to say Gary, but you have little or no chance of regaining that line. If there is fur being taken off the line, that's all that is required, regardless if the senior holder can skin or not. He is not the only one doing this, with the aid of a junior having no investment at all. The so-called changes that are supposedly in the works, will do more to hurt trappers than help them. That however, seems to be the direction, the present executive want to take matters regardless of what the membership wants.
I don't know the relationship you have with this indiv. is but is it possible for you to sigh on as a junior. If this could happen, you would be in line to obtain it, if and when .he should decide to move on. With these "so-called" changes about to take place, I suspect there will be lines all over the place to pick from. There is enuff sh-- to put up with already, without Mr. K., having to add to the situation...
Good Luck in your quest. I know, personally, what it is like to lose a line, but when I heard of this older gent looking for a junior, I jumped at the chance and it turned out for the best. Something like getting a new dog after your old buddy leaves for the big dog house... Keep the chin up and don't waste time looking over your shoulder..
Old 12-09-2007, 10:13 PM

Gary I'd take the trappers course and be ready to assume the line if the opportunity presents itself. At present you have no way of forcing the line out of the present RFMA holders hands. Why not call him and explain who you are vand see if you can junior partner or buy them out?

Sourdough I'm sorry to hear you don't support the present direction the ATA is taking. Personally I believe if we don't take action now we'll lose our RFMA's. By the way the ATA membership strongly supported these initiatives at the last AGM so I'm not sure how you figure they're not listening to the membership? Would you mind sharing why you do not support the proposed changes?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 AM

Angry

Thanks Brian
I have been trapping with my father since the early 70s and have taken the
trappers course some time ago. But now I am disabled and have a hard time getting around. I would take the new cource again but not untill I can trap again. I am not a first time trapper by no means.

I have tryed to talk to the new owner and get on as a junior but he said he has too many junior partners. How many juniors are allowed on a line?
I know that most of his partners do not trap but just pay the yearly fee so they can hunt on there trapline. Too many people are taking advantage this and I would like something to be done.

There is also a hunting camp on the line and a guide has a bear bait operation
on the line as well. Any input from you would help.

Thanks Gary