Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2018, 07:29 PM

Default Military grade

Reminds me of the British frigets in the Falklands war
Attached Images
File Type: png A6F08634-CEF5-4B4F-B092-6D0B3A270EFF.png (290.1 KB, 745 views)
Old 05-29-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

Military grade? Sure. Military application? Not a chance. In all fairness, with the heat developed to do that, I think it’s a futile argument. Any truck that got hot enough to do that is toast (see what I did there?)
Old 05-29-2018, 07:46 PM

Looks pretty fake to me.

That aside, how does this really affect anything? If that A pillar hadn't melted, we could have buffed it out, blasted aluminum...

Last edited by Trochu; 05-29-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:24 PM

Not what they're cracked up to be. For a while, GM ran a commercial where somebody throws something in the box, punches a hole right through. Friend has one that suffered hail damage, repair once, next time it's new panels. Don't think that's fake, doesn't take much to melt aluminum and its messy and drips.

Grizz
Old 05-29-2018, 08:34 PM

Anybody that served in the military knows that military grade means the contract was awarded to the lowest bidder.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellero View Post
Anybody that served in the military knows that military grade means the contract was awarded to the lowest bidder.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
For a while, GM ran a commercial where somebody throws something in the box, punches a hole right through.
Possibly this one:

Commercial
Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 PM

The aluminum ridgid pipe wrenches do the same job as the heavy old steel ones and there a lot lighter. I have no problems with the aluminum frame fords it’s not the first time or the last that a pick up has been reduced to scrap metal from a wreck.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellero View Post

Exactly. I seem to recall one of the early Apollo space astronauts observing the same thing as he looked around the cramped capsule, waiting to have a half million pounds of fuel ignited under his butt....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-29-2018, 09:29 PM

Dam can’t put bbq on tailgate anymore at tailgate party. But then a lot others are plastic now.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:18 PM
Banned

Wow that joke is 3 years old now.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
The aluminum ridgid pipe wrenches do the same job as the heavy old steel ones and there a lot lighter. I have no problems with the aluminum frame fords it’s not the first time or the last that a pick up has been reduced to scrap metal from a wreck.
The thing with aluminum wrenches is that they’re fine when the only force on them is a humans natural strength, once someone applies a snipe for extra leverage then the difference between aluminum and steel wrenches becomes apparent.

Audi had been building their flagship A8 sedan entirely out of aluminum for decades (since 1994).
Old 05-30-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Just the body is aluminum. The frames are still steel.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 AM

I just don’t understand the idea of making the new F150’s that light. Sure, better mileage on the highway but that comes at the expense of having a vehicle that handles very poorly once the pavement ends.

We have a whole fleet of new F150’s at work so I’ve driven more than one. Hit a bit of washboard doing 50k and the arse end of them kicks out very violently. To the point the anti-sway towing feature kicks in and slows the truck down to a crawl.

I’ve actually never driven a truck that handles so poorly. Some areas of site have resorted to strapping a bunch of weight in the back since the poor handling has been brought up as a safety issue. That helps, but takes up room in the box and negates the idea of having a light weight aluminum body in the first place.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:49 AM

Most f 150 are grocery getters or pavement queens and the manufactures know that. But be interesting to here from guys that have the aluminum f350 if they find that as well on rough roads
Old 05-30-2018, 08:54 AM

Maybe Ford should offset the weight productively by making the fuel tanks 50%+ additional capacity. Sure their weight will vary but it’s a help until they’re low.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I just don’t understand the idea of making the new F150’s that light. Sure, better mileage on the highway but that comes at the expense of having a vehicle that handles very poorly once the pavement ends.

We have a whole fleet of new F150’s at work so I’ve driven more than one. Hit a bit of washboard doing 50k and the arse end of them kicks out very violently. To the point the anti-sway towing feature kicks in and slows the truck down to a crawl.

I’ve actually never driven a truck that handles so poorly. Some areas of site have resorted to strapping a bunch of weight in the back since the poor handling has been brought up as a safety issue. That helps, but takes up room in the box and negates the idea of having a light weight aluminum body in the first place.
I believe the Chevy's are still lighter than the F150. So if the Chevy's don't handle in a similar manner on the washboard, its not necessarily a weight issue. Sure, more weight would likely help, but it's a compromise as it would likely hinder the other 99.99% of driving situations.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:27 AM

For me fords have never been good on washboard. Doesn't matter to me though. Their electric power steering is so undependable I will never own one.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:23 AM

Comparing 2018 specs same body styles Chevy is on average 600lbs heavier but the new Chevy for 2019 will be 600 lbs lighter then it 2018 model. Soon we will put 5th wheel on a vw bug

Last edited by Suzukisam; 05-30-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The thing with aluminum wrenches is that they’re fine when the only force on them is a humans natural strength, once someone applies a snipe for extra leverage then the difference between aluminum and steel wrenches becomes apparent.

Audi had been building their flagship A8 sedan entirely out of aluminum for decades (since 1994).
Yep
Back in the '80's (before safety craze) I was tightening some nuts on a horses head..needed to use a small snipe...aluminum wrench snapped right at the edge of the snipe...I almost impaled myself on the polish rod falling off.
Ugh what a memory...thanks a lot OP
Old 05-30-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Soon we will put 5th wheel on a vw bug
Like this https://youtu.be/SpwH9WeVEfU ?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:01 PM

Yup can’t to see that tow a toy hauler. So much for buying a one ton got to go find one of those
Old 05-30-2018, 09:02 PM

I haven't seen any steel boxes that weren't written off after a fire.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:48 PM

What is “military” grade aluminum? Isn’t there only one grade...
Old 05-30-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
For me fords have never been good on washboard. Doesn't matter to me though. Their electric power steering is so undependable I will never own one.
Have had all of the big 3 trucks for work at one time or another. I find my f150 the beat handling on washboard roads. The 2012 dodge was worthless.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Banned

Could be worse, it could have been a Dodge.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
No, there are multiple types. 6061 and 7075 are two types that come to mind but there are different grades to them as well. A bad example would be Chinese to Canadian made products. Again, it’s a bad example but you get the point.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
It's a marketing term, so over used, that it doesn't mean anything.

Grizz
Old 05-31-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Similar to military grade potatoes or military grade toilet paper. Navy Seal endorsed dental floss that also doubles as a handy garrotte

I’ve seen mil-spec ratings on cans of pipe dope.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:57 AM

Default Ford

I think they use the term "Military Grade" as an advertising slogan to make you think it is really built to a "MIL- SPEC" standard.

Obviously there is a huge difference.