Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2018, 10:18 PM

Default Extending pre existing garage

Out of curiosity: how much might it cost to extend the front of our garage out 4ft? Providing the roof line wouldn't need to change, only be extended.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:45 AM

Ive thought of doing the same thing.The header above the door has to be removed so the garage door tracks will fit.No idea how much$, was going to do it myself.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:53 PM

Would depend which direction your rafters or trusses run. If it's on a curb or straight on your pad.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Would depend which direction your rafters or trusses run. If it's on a curb or straight on your pad.

Would also make sure with your city planner if you're allowed to move it out. I built a garage on the weekend and if it's detached it needs to be 18m from the lane in front. 4ft could put you in the danger zone.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:13 PM

Probably more hassle and cost than it's worth.

Grizz
Old 05-29-2018, 02:31 PM

If you know what you’re doing wouldn’t be that hard or costly, guessing you have a gable roof, extend the front or rear wall out 4’. Brace your inside walls in an x fashion by the wall you’re removing and remove the siding nicely, leave the truss on top and lay down the front or rear wall. Put up two 4’ walls and stand your old wall up again. Put on 3 trusses and frame a new overhang. Then finish the inside and new siding and roofing on the expansion.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:49 PM

Problem is the expansion likely ventures into a weight bearing capacity issue and I bet an inspector would tell you grade beams or something of the like would need to be engineered. Just my first consideration on the subject, I'm assuming you already have a full size garage but I don't know this
Old 05-29-2018, 09:00 PM

Two things
1 most garages are built on a setback on garage door side . Here it is min one meter or min 6 meter no allowance for in between !
2 extending a load bearing slab can be tricky. The two slabs will want to walk away from each other from temp changes .

Cost would start around 5 g and up .
Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 AM

Use screw piles for the extension, this will solve your problem with the two concrete bases. The piles will cost you about 1,500 installed. Rest of the materials and rafters roughly $2,500. Once the piles are in and material on site cost will really depend on whether you do it your self or have it done.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:22 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far. It sounds like it's probably at least worth us looking into.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:50 PM

Old 05-30-2018, 01:28 PM

Just an after thought, and when I made my suggestions I presumed you knew this but just in case; You know you need a building permit to do this so that would be step one to ensure you meet the municipal requirements.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:18 PM

Yes, definitely will get permits if we go ahead with it. It's more of a hypothetical question- there's a house we are interested in buying, but the garage is a lot smaller than what we want. Can't really bring in a contractor when we haven't even made an offer on the house. Of course a quote from a contractor or two could be part of the conditional offer, but at this point we're just tossing around ideas deciding whether we want to go after the house or not. Again, thanks for all the input.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Use screw piles for the extension, this will solve your problem with the two concrete bases. The piles will cost you about 1,500 installed. Rest of the materials and rafters roughly $2,500. Once the piles are in and material on site cost will really depend on whether you do it your self or have it done.
I got a slight reprimand from our building inspector. He claims the correct way is to use similar foundations . With the reason being like foundations will move in unison . I found out the hard way he is correct! Cheers