Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-28-2018, 08:43 PM

Default Rocky View County firearms restrictions bylaw

RVC ( the county surrounding Calgary) is updating the firearms restrictions bylaw. This has passed first and second readings already.

1. This bylaw specifies "no shooting zones" in a number of areas.

2. Provides clear and concise information on penalties associated with offences and clarifies that a person can be held vicariously liable for the actions of an employee providing there is evidence the offence took place during their employment.

3. There has been public pressure for more restrictions in certain areas of RVC.

If you remember, the County tried to pass new laws to restrict shooting a few years back. A bunch of us got together and shut them down. Now they are quietly trying to have another go at us. I have not seen the maps of the new zones yet.

If you live in Rocky View, get a hold of your Counsellor and voice your opposition.

Puma
Old 05-28-2018, 08:48 PM
Banned

Wish you luck.

Is this one of those things that happens when city moves to country? Not meaning anything by it but it seems like there is more and more acerages popping up in my area.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:05 PM

Default Rvc

They tried to pass some bylaws a few years ago, no shooting on less than a quarter section etc. We had enough angry calls that they backed off.

New council now, and I guess the same squeaky NIMBY wheels are bugging them.

The new idea is No Shooting Zones.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:06 PM

While I sympathize with you. Your post lacks important details. RVC holds some public hunting lands like ducks unlimited. Will those be restricted? If so then we have something to discuss.

If we r talking here about shutting down random farm shootings (makeshift gun ranges) then maybe thats something for RVC residents to decide
Old 05-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Banned

Default Confiscation by Geopraphic Area

The RCMP lobbied for this bylaw in Strathcona County, east of Sherwood Park, and it got approved.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:31 AM

Just drive through Rocky View and you can see the reasoning. A good percentage of it has been taken up by acreages and subdivisions, it's hardly rural anymore. The remaining tracts of land are held largely by extremely wealthy ranchers or corporations, all just waiting for more subdivisions ,that only provincial pressure to preserve farm lands is holding back. Good reason that some of us who moved to the country, got as far from the big cities as affordable.

Grizz
Old 05-29-2018, 09:10 AM

I live in the county and my understanding has always been you could not shoot on any land that was less than 4 acrea's. This was pointed out to my a number of yrs ago while I was taking care of a gopher issue on my land.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
While I sympathize with you. Your post lacks important details. RVC holds some public hunting lands like ducks unlimited. Will those be restricted? If so then we have something to discuss.

If we r talking here about shutting down random farm shootings (makeshift gun ranges) then maybe thats something for RVC residents to decide
My post lacks important details, because they have not provided them, yet they have voted yes to the first two reading of the bill. I have requested a copy of the drafted bylaw and accurate maps of these new no shooting zones.
The last time they tried to enact firearms bylaws, they were hidden in an omnibus bill called Community Standards, that would have pretty much stopped any shooting, hunting, and pest control in RVC.

I understand the buildout of the areas closer to the city, areas around Balzac, Cochrane Lake, etc, and the safety issues that can be created by shooting . What we need to worry about, is a broad brushed bylaw that will impact the rest of us.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:41 PM
Banned

Not surprised this is happening , When i worked oilfield , THAT county was one of the hardest ones to operate in !
SPEED was a big one , we had to keep it down real low , AND some of the locals use to BLAST right by us like we weren't there! Comical really , Certain individuals were very problematic , they , mostly women would come tearing out of the house waving their arms and gesturing like all crazy ! I hated working that area , because of the phone calls we use to get for no reason at times and it was very hard to tell a supervisor you were staying within the rules !
Old 05-29-2018, 01:30 PM

Default link and maps

Link to the bylaw with maps. Starts on page 244.

https://www.rockyview.ca/Portals/0/F...genda-Full.pdf
Old 05-29-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Not surprised this is happening , When i worked oilfield , THAT county was one of the hardest ones to operate in !
SPEED was a big one , we had to keep it down real low , AND some of the locals use to BLAST right by us like we weren't there! Comical really , Certain individuals were very problematic , they , mostly women would come tearing out of the house waving their arms and gesturing like all crazy ! I hated working that area , because of the phone calls we use to get for no reason at times and it was very hard to tell a supervisor you were staying within the rules !
My wife's family has a few sections east of Balzac. I once had an owner of a new house, park his car in front of my combine at 8:30 at night during harvest, cause of to much noise, dust, and the lights shinning into his house.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
My wife's family has a few sections east of Balzac. I once had an owner of a new house, park his car in front of my combine at 8:30 at night during harvest, cause of to much noise, dust, and the lights shinning into his house.
Did you tell him to take a hike? He would’ve been trespassing and harassing you.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
How did he look after going through the header?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Did you tell him to take a hike? He would’ve been trespassing and harassing you.
Went around it can carried on, no time to deal with it. Crops have to come off and still had my regular job in the morning. So glad its all leased out now.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Link to the bylaw with maps. Starts on page 244.

https://www.rockyview.ca/Portals/0/F...genda-Full.pdf
I used to live in Rockyview. I did a quick read through the Bylaw and I don't see anything unreasonable in it. The no shooting zones should definitely be no shooting zones and I didn't see anything sneaky or underhanded in the definitions etc. If someone else sees tricky stuff please point it out.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:35 PM

Default Rvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I used to live in Rockyview. I did a quick read through the Bylaw and I don't see anything unreasonable in it. The no shooting zones should definitely be no shooting zones and I didn't see anything sneaky or underhanded in the definitions etc. If someone else sees tricky stuff please point it out.
What worries me is the precedent it starts in the County, once there is one, then its two, then its the norm.

The new council is pretty much made up of city folk now. There was a dramatic increase in gravel mining in three of the wards and the estate people organized and punted most of the council out.

I wonder if this will stop the shotgun only deer hunt in WMU 212 just north of Bearspaw? That hunt was opened because of all the motor vehicle/ wildlife collisions and the over abundance of deer in the area.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:38 PM
Banned

Default The

Please read the following very carefully.

http://www.sherwoodparknews.com/2014...on-gun-control

There is a very frightening statement in the write-up.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
What worries me is the precedent it starts in the County, once there is one, then its two, then its the norm.

The new council is pretty much made up of city folk now. There was a dramatic increase in gravel mining in three of the wards and the estate people organized and punted most of the council out.

I wonder if this will stop the shotgun only deer hunt in WMU 212 just north of Bearspaw? That hunt was opened because of all the motor vehicle/ wildlife collisions and the over abundance of deer in the area.
Aaaaah yes,the "Estate People".....they don't like it when deer smashes up their BMWs and Porsche SUVs or eat their ornamental shrubs and flowers,but good luck getting hunting permission in the outskirts,shotgun,ML,bow or otherwise.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
Please read the following very carefully.

http://www.sherwoodparknews.com/2014...on-gun-control

There is a very frightening statement in the write-up.
Please read this write-up again.

Can you identify the statement that is lobbying Council to implement an "Open" warrant ? This is a bylaw that will allow police to do whatever, whenever.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Aaaaah yes,the "Estate People".....they don't like it when deer smashes up their BMWs and Porsche SUVs or eat their ornamental shrubs and flowers,but good luck getting hunting permission in the outskirts,shotgun,ML,bow or otherwise.
Ah, Estate people. Not Rocky view but typical. One of the local "Estate" ladies phoned her neighbor and ripped a strip of her, in no uncertain terms. Get your Fn donkey out of my drive way, etc, etc. Turned out to be a moose.

Grizz
Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
Please read this write-up again.

Can you identify the statement that is lobbying Council to implement an "Open" warrant ? This is a bylaw that will allow police to do whatever, whenever.
Did it happen? That article is from 2014.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Did it happen? That article is from 2014.
Yeah, don't see the point of bringing up four year old article on what 'might happen'...but never did.