Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2018, 07:56 AM

Default Telus Fiber Optic Install

So I was having my internet upgraded finally on Sunday. While the tech was dueling with my homes dumba** wiring, another Telus Rep came by to make arrangements for the streets fiber optic install. Cool.
Issue is, I was really preoccupied with the tech and really didn't pay as much attention as I should have to what was going to happen. I remember something about digging up part of the front lawn to run cable to the house and they will repair any damage etc. Has anyone had fiber run to the house? good experience? is there a vault on the property? That's my main concern, I need my front lawn to park my rv while loading and unloading. The Telus office isn't open for a bit yet, so just want some experienced feedback on the process.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:13 AM

Going through it right now, everything they install is flush with the ground so it shouldn't make a difference for your RV. Some people have their sidewalk cored, some get them on their lawns, some it's all underground and there's no hole to cover. Wasn't happy with them running their bobcat on my lawn but otherwise it was pretty fast and painless.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:48 AM

Had it pushed into my house last summer it works great but now i have to fill the holes in my lawn.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:09 PM

demand they put a tracer wire with the fibre cable, u will thank me later.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:24 PM

Tracer Wire?
Old 05-28-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Tracer Wire?

Fibre does not get picked up by search tools when looking for buried services. The trace wire is a metal strip that will get read when the tracing tool goes over it..
Old 05-28-2018, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Tracer Wire?
Easier to locate after it's in the ground. Good idea.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:25 PM

Thank you. I'll make sure to ask for it.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:53 PM

I had fibre optic put in at my last house 2 years ago, they ran it under ground without digging a trench and had the cable come up under the deck then drilled a hole to bring the cable into the house.

Just got a new place, had the gas line marked last week. Waiting on them coming to run the fibre optic in but they were talking about digging a trench this time. Hope it doesn't damage anything!
Old 05-28-2018, 02:01 PM

telus has been installing this new fibre optic line in various cities n towns across Albert, for the last few years, and have not installed a tracer wire with the cable. free initial install, but they will be charging when a fence post cuts the cable and they have to fix it. on your time double time likely. they know yo need a tracer wire , but to get you to sign up they install for free. fixing this cable may be costly as it may not be splice able, so new cable install.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:02 PM
Banned

Thought they plowed it in? I don't think it's very deep either. Expensive to fix from what I hear so it would be well advised to put tracker wire with it.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
telus has been installing this new fibre optic line in various cities n towns across Albert, for the last few years, and have not installed a tracer wire with the cable. free initial install, but they will be charging when a fence post cuts the cable and they have to fix it. on your time double time likely. they know yo need a tracer wire , but to get you to sign up they install for free. fixing this cable may be costly as it may not be splice able, so new cable install.
Unless telus has changed but they don't do the Call b4 you dig program. Dont know about fibre optics but it's a jigsaw puzzle to splice phone lines back together and the phone still crackles.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Unless telus has changed but they don't do the Call b4 you dig program. Dont know about fibre optics but it's a jigsaw puzzle to splice phone lines back together and the phone still crackles.
What? you are not a telephone repair guy are you? there is a way to put the wires back without the crackle, repair guy can trace your line back to your repair and smile. then ka-ching!!! sounds like you didn't splice the ground back together. lol
Old 05-28-2018, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
What? you are not a telephone repair guy are you? there is a way to put the wires back without the crackle, repair guy can trace your line back to your repair and smile. then ka-ching!!! sounds like you didn't splice the ground back together. lol
Lol. I am now. Hit that sob twice.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:15 PM

When they did my yard in Hinton going yard to yard it was bored under all the driveways and the odd yard got a service box above ground and some below. For going to the house they trenched it in using a tracked piece of equipment that just ripped a small trench 3-4 inches wide and maybe 8 inches deep. Guys did to the house in a couple minutes, stomped on the grass they tore up and were done. 2 weeks later you barely knew where it was and now a couple years later if I didn't know where it was it would be hard to find. All I know is it isn't very deep at all and like others said, very easy to damage if you were randomly digging.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:34 PM

Default Telus

With all of the new Fibre installs, Telus buries a conduit from the vault to your house that has a tracer wire built into it. Once the conduit is in, they pull the Fibre to the house. Depending on the situation, some are plowed in (slight cut in the lawn) but most are drilled to the house with just an entry hole dug at the curb, and an exit hole at the house.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Unless telus has changed but they don't do the Call b4 you dig program.
Telus has been partnered with Alberta One-Call for at least 10 years.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Telus has been partnered with Alberta One-Call for at least 10 years.
Are you sure? When I called they said telus wouldn't locate their line. Had to find it by feel.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Are you sure? When I called they said telus wouldn't locate their line. Had to find it by feel.
Pretty sure. They only mark their line though, so the street to the box. If you've got a private line (house to garage, house to barn, if the box is on a pole, then box to house, etc.) they won't mark that. We do quite a few One Calls and rarely have issues with Telus. Seems odd they wouldn't mark their line for you.

The utility company's do slip up occasionally though. Did a locate out by Provost, had a utility running right through the middle of the site, had to go back months later for some more work, did another locate, and now its all "clear".
Old 05-29-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
is telus your home phone service provider? if you have gone to another landline service provider, they will not locate the line.

you may need to increase your cable splicing skills! ha.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
is telus your home phone service provider? if you have gone to another landline service provider, they will not locate the line.

you may need to increase your cable splicing skills! ha.
They mark their line on your property even if they don't currently have you as a customer when you contact first call.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
They mark their line on your property even if they don't currently have you as a customer when you contact first call.
yes up to the connection box, and best to ask for them to mark private and community sides.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:47 AM
Banned

Hmmm weird they wouldn't locate mine. Yes I'm a telus customer but I've made two one calls and telus didn't locate nothing. Maybe rural location is the difference? Atco and encana showed or called but that was all.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:48 AM

TELUS does not locate, Alberta One Call does, Telus Cable Repair staff have locators on their trucks but will not locate for public.
When you call Alberta One Call, they don't send staff from the utility compaines they send an employee from a third party company, typically Consolidated Utility Services.
When onsite they will locate all utilities in the area of work. Fibre lines are locatable, they will be located with orange and "FOTS" written in the chevron.

Anything being said different here is not true PERIOD
Old 05-29-2018, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
TELUS does not locate, Alberta One Call does, Telus Cable Repair staff have locators on their trucks but will not locate for public When onsite they will locate all utilities in the area of work. Fibre lines are locatable, they will be located with orange and "FOTS" written in the chevron.

Alberta one call sends out a notice to the service providers or whoever might have a easement on your property is the way I understand it. This is why atco gas showed up at my house and located their line. Encana called to say I was well away from their pipeline (other side of the 1/4) . Not once was the telus line located. Sure if I hire a line locating company they'll locate all the underground utilities.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
TELUS does not locate, Alberta One Call does, Telus Cable Repair staff have locators on their trucks but will not locate for public.
When you call Alberta One Call, they don't send staff from the utility compaines they send an employee from a third party company, typically Consolidated Utility Services.
When onsite they will locate all utilities in the area of work. Fibre lines are locatable, they will be located with orange and "FOTS" written in the chevron.

Alberta One Call does not locate. They are simply the organization that allows the public to make one contact and then they notify the relative parties.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Not once was the telus line located. Sure if I hire a line locating company they'll locate all the underground utilities.
Was Telus listed as a notified company on the actual Alberta One Call ticket?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Alberta One Call does not locate. They are simply the organization that allows the public to make one contact and then they notify the relative parties.
You are correct, i stated that in the next sentence
Old 05-29-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Alberta one call sends out a notice to the service providers or whoever might have a easement on your property is the way I understand it. This is why atco gas showed up at my house and located their line. Encana called to say I was well away from their pipeline (other side of the 1/4) . Not once was the telus line located. Sure if I hire a line locating company they'll locate all the underground utilities.
So in your situation, you need to request, with the one call operator, that Telus be added to the locate, a lot of times rural properties don't have the the communication utilities on plan so when they look at your request they see no Telus services on the property plan. Just ask to have Telus added to the locate and then it should be solved.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
You are correct, i stated that in the next sentence
I was trying to be delicate as this statement is correct either. Often times they are staff from the utility company. Several, Telus, Fortis, etc. do utilize a 3rd party locator, such as Camtel or CUS, not always though, and others such as AltaGas, East Link, I've met Atco employees on-site, etc., locate directly.