Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2015, 12:59 PM

Default RV mattress

I find the mattress that comes with the RV are horrible cheap crap, you can feel every spring coil stabbing me in the back, I tried putting a foamy on top of it but is still bad.

Has anyone replaced their original stock rv mattress for a better mattress?
Where did you get it?

When I go camping I don't want to wake up with a sore back.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:13 PM

Default Size?

RV Queens are usually 6 inches shorter than reg queen. Saying that we had enough room at the end of our bed and put a regular queen mattress in there. Probably the best sleeping person in the campground.
If you have a shorty 74" go to Sleep Country and they can order them from Simmons for you. They are regular Beautyrest models so will not be cheap but will be good. Foam companies will also cut them to size if you are into foam.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:15 PM

Mine was a piece of crap too

I bought a short queen from these guys in Edmonton

http://www.tmasc.ca/queen-rv-mattress-canada.html
Old 04-21-2015, 01:17 PM

I purchased a gel/memory foam mattress topper from Costco to supplement the crappy foam of our trailer mattresses. It has made the world of difference to me. It also had the added effect of being "cool" all the time which has been a huge benefit to me whom likes to be cool while he sleeps.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:22 PM
Gone Fishing

We put a 3" memory foam over ours, its heavy but very effective.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
RV Queens are usually 6 inches shorter than reg queen. Saying that we had enough room at the end of our bed and put a regular queen mattress in there. Probably the best sleeping person in the campground.
If you have a shorty 74" go to Sleep Country and they can order them from Simmons for you. They are regular Beautyrest models so will not be cheap but will be good. Foam companies will also cut them to size if you are into foam.
x2 if you have the room, go buy a regular size matress. As soon as I got my trailer, I took the matress out that came with it and put in a queen. Theyre the same width, the rv mattress is just 6 inches shorter as stated above.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:34 PM

We also put one of those memory foam mattresses from costco in ours. Its definately the way to go.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:45 PM

Got foam king in red deer to build my last one. Same size with cover but built out of decent stuff. Really like it.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:46 PM

I added a 2" memory foam topper to our foam trailer mattress and it made all the difference.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:22 PM

X3 on the regular mattress if room permits, we did the same in our unit. Tried putting foam on top, helped.., but the rv mattress was still terrible
Old 04-21-2015, 04:13 PM

Last year, I replaced our RV mattress from this company
http://www.a1foam.net/contact.html

You just tell them the dimensions and what type of cover you want.

Very great customer service
Old 04-21-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwili View Post
Last year, I replaced our RV mattress from this company
http://www.a1foam.net/contact.html

You just tell them the dimensions and what type of cover you want.

Very great customer service
changed the mattress in the house so cut 3 inches off it and put that in the camper now can get a great night sleep
Old 04-21-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFlame View Post
I purchased a gel/memory foam mattress topper from Costco to supplement the crappy foam of our trailer mattresses. It has made the world of difference to me. It also had the added effect of being "cool" all the time which has been a huge benefit to me whom likes to be cool while he sleeps.
X2 Works like a charm and no messing around trying to locate a new matress
Old 04-21-2015, 07:50 PM

Default Standard mattress

We switched our RV mattress to a 6" thick memory foam unit and gave up on that after a season. After that we put in a standard size Queen mattress. I highly recommend the change. It's like sleeping at home.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:59 PM

Go to Mattress Mattress,Try any mattress in thier showroom and they will make it to whatever size you want.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Default mattress

mattress mattress have them in stock
Old 04-21-2015, 08:39 PM

Default Sylvan sleep center

Our mattress in the 5th was pretty bad. Same size as a regular sized queen. We drove over to Sylvan Sleep center, they took the older one out and put the new one in. Best sleep ever. you may have to wait a week before getting the mattress as they are made when ordered. Good luck. BEL
Old 04-21-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
I find the mattress that comes with the RV are horrible cheap crap, you can feel every spring coil stabbing me in the back, I tried putting a foamy on top of it but is still bad.

Has anyone replaced their original stock rv mattress for a better mattress?
Where did you get it?

When I go camping I don't want to wake up with a sore back.
A lot of mattress stores sell RV mattresses....just check them out.....we bought one at mattress mattress
Old 04-21-2015, 09:10 PM

We bought a great mattress from sleep country. Only problem is it is about 16 " thick. Very comfortable to sleep on but you have to be careful sitting up or you whack your head on the overhead cabinet. So be sure to check your headroom. Those cabinets hurt!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:18 PM

Default Sleep well

I was in the industry there for 17 years and always was a challenge for the rv people. The other problem was customer self inficted wound. I want the cheapest mattress I can get for my RV. DUH.
Yikes don't you guys get it.
Sleep well, enjoy your time off and come back from vacation rested and ready to rock. Yes if you see what it is my house and trailer you would laugh but we do enjoy our rest and down time camping and vaxtioning. You can too. Spend a couple bucks and enjoy your weekends and holidays. if you can fit the real Qn size you have unlimited choices if not RV Queen there are some good options if you look around and spend a few bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
We bought a great mattress from sleep country. Only problem is it is about 16 " thick. Very comfortable to sleep on but you have to be careful sitting up or you whack your head on the overhead cabinet. So be sure to check your headroom. Those cabinets hurt!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:31 PM

Oh we do sleep well. This mattress is very comfortable. Only had to hit my head once and learned my lesson. I think I sleep better in the fifth wheel than at home, but maybe the margaritas play a part in that too!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:41 PM

Another for gel memory foam from Costco, our bed was very firm but with the 3 inch topper its perfect.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Banned

I love the matress in our forest river! Always sleep best on it! Costco memory foam on our last trailer worked well and never woke up sore anymore.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:59 PM

Default RV mattresses

Another fan of the RV queen mattresses from MattressMattress. We bought ours through their Airdrie store, and they had lots of options for price, quality, firmness etc.. What a difference from the original cheap crap from the trailer manufacturer.
They also took our original one for their garbage, which saved us the cost and time of a dump run.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:12 AM

I use a Sleep Number bed at home but couldn’t justify the cost of one for our travel trailer, which we use about 30 nights a year. The stock mattress felt like it was made of lasagna noodles mixed with concrete. I ordered the Serenia Sleep after reading your reviews and this short queen mattress is great! It is very comfortable, I don’t bottom out on my hips when I sleep on my side, and it is not overly hot like a lot of memory foam mattresses. I just wish I’d gotten it sooner.
It was packaged in a long cardboard box, shrinkwrapped in a tube. It was easy to move and put down, and once it was unrolled and out of the plastic it expanded to full thickness in about 6 hours. After a day it has no noticeable odor.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:38 AM

Aw crap, sucked into a 3 yr old thread.....doh