Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 PM

Default starter mink

i seen a few mink tracks crossing the road on the creek by my house and thought hell lets try to trap the guy i have a victor longspring 1 1/2 and probley could get some small conibers from the neighbor any advice or pictures of sets would be great.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:04 PM

Default mink

You mean you SAW mink tracks not you SEEN mink tracks. You sound like you're from Sask.

Just yanking yer chain

The chef
Old 11-25-2008, 08:14 AM

Default Cubby set for mink

Get a 120 conibear and make a little cubby with a roof on the ground like a shed make sure the front of the opening will fit the 120 tighty so the mink can't get around it i use muskrat or beaver for bait fish will also work this set works for me on the lake shores on my trapline its all we use for mink.

p.s. Make your little cubby out of natural materials from around the area.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:17 AM

25-06 Rem - if you have taken the trappers course wouldn't they have told you all this? If you haven't then what are you trying to do trapping a mink?? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this ILLEGAL (and a little unethical if you don't know what you are doing)!?!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:19 PM

First im not 100 percent sure but i dont think the trapper course does a step by step on each animal.Individuals are left with basic to add to. Second yes it looks to me from the trapping regs that mink season is open in each zone in the province. Third what is up with the word unethical? Where do you get unethical from? Your ethics? Dont like trapping?Stay off the trapping forum then.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Banned

I believe it is at the Mods discretion who is on or off the trapping forum. So lets not turn this forum into what some other ones have become.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new albertan View Post
First im not 100 percent sure but i dont think the trapper course does a step by step on each animal.Individuals are left with basic to add to. Second yes it looks to me from the trapping regs that mink season is open in each zone in the province. Third what is up with the word unethical? Where do you get unethical from? Your ethics? Dont like trapping?Stay off the trapping forum then.
-To complete the trappers course, I believe you must know tracks, habitats, food preferences, etc for all 18 fur bearing species.

If you do have your trappers liscence, go to Alberta Trappers Association.com, I believe they have a page of different trap setups for different animals. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new albertan View Post
Sorry if my first post came off a little rough. But it seems that 25-06 doesn't have a trappers license though and the reason the province requires this is to make sure trappers know the ins & outs of the business so animals are trapped humanely and effectively. Perhaps 25-06 has challenged the exam or taken a course that I am unaware of in the past 3 weeks and passed, if so congrats. But as far as I can see, unlike coyotes and wolves, you need a trapping license to go after mink. Mink trapping is covered in the course.