Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Default Any HVAC guys here?

I have a quick question. My blower motor on my furnace is in need of new bearings. The blower wheel went causing a lot of vibration in the system, it got it replaced. Now the unit is making a noise when the blower wheel is slowing down after the furnace kicks off.

The quote I got to replace the motor is saying that I need to replace the programmed module at the same time I get the motor replaced. Does this seem right? I would think that if you are simply replacing the motor with the same unit, why would you need to replace the blower module?

It's an American Standard Gold 95v if that helps.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 03-22-2019, 01:23 AM

I can’t really comment on that particular furnace as I am not familiar with the specific one. Unfortunately a lot of DC blower motors you are unable to get either just the motor or just the module and have to get the whole package. Each motor communicates with the particular circuit board and there aren’t any generic motors to go in them anymore, so people are at the mercy of the manufacturer. Welcome to the wonderful world of high efficiency junk, that ends up costing 3x as much to fix then what you save in efficiency.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I can’t really comment on that particular furnace as I am not familiar with the specific one. Unfortunately a lot of DC blower motors you are unable to get either just the motor or just the module and have to get the whole package. Each motor communicates with the particular circuit board and there aren’t any generic motors to go in them anymore, so people are at the mercy of the manufacturer. Welcome to the wonderful world of high efficiency junk, that ends up costing 3x as much to fix then what you save in efficiency.
I don’t really have an issue with the HE stuff, When I compare my heating bill to some of my co-workers with older furnaces, the difference is notable.

It’s the same issue we have with phones or any other thing these days, nothing is designed to be repairable anymore. Just buy a new one and landfill the old one...disgusting.

It’s odd, with this furnace, after doing some research, you can replace the module by itself. You cannot replace the motor without doing the module as well. Or at least they don’t sell the motor alone. Cheers!