Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2012, 09:16 AM

Default Home security system.. reviews..

I'm building a new home, and have started to research security systems. Please no comments like.. "smith & wessen" or "pitbull" etc. I'm looking for a true system, so the wife can have piece of mind when I am not home, and our belongings are somewhat watched over when we are gone.

I personally hate the idea of paying a monthly fee for these services, but I don't think there's anyway around it. I will more than likely also be installing a secondary system using a couple security cameras that I can use to view what's going on, in the case of an alarm.

But, I'm curious what company people are using, what sensors, and how much you are paying, opinions... The new house will still be in the calgary burbs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 AM

Bolt Security has treated me really well. When you get the consultation, be up front and mention you don't want a monitoring (it's optional), and have a tech come up (not the sales rep) to build the system for your house. They know the equipment the best.

I dealt with Brian (One of the part-owners) and had a great experience. However, for you, you may incur travel (being in Calgary). I believe their offices are in Edmonton and Kelowna. As for techs, ask for Trevor or Derrick to come out, they know they're stuff hands down.

I did the same thing as you, a piece of mind system. If possible, go hardwired, as it saves having to buy batteries 3-5 years down the road.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Banned

I don't know much about security systems, but if you're really worried, you can mount some cameras around the place as well. Linksys for example sells wireline camera kits, pretty basic and easy install - plug them into any AC adapter, patch cable to your network and a software install. Good video that can be viewed on any smart phone, and motion detection that will send a video to your email.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 AM
sheephunter

I've used Protelec for about 18 years now and they are very reliable and it's not super expensive....just over $200 a year. It is good piece of mind when no one is home plus I get a bit of a discount on insurance.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM

With most everyone having smartphones these days, does it even make sense to have monitoring anymore? They're just reading what signals are sent to them by the system and relaying some phone calls; it seems to me the system should just be able to send alarm activation details right to my smartphone and perhaps some others who act as alternate contacts if it doesn't recieve a confirmation code back from me. Its monitored for sure, but by me. Cut out the middleman. If there isn't such a system there should be.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 AM

i use devcon they are pretty good. use them at home and bussiness. have cameras that i can see on my smart phone as well as get all notification on phone as well. pretty low cost. think i pay 74 bucks a month for both systems.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 AM

When I had our house wired for security it was by a neighbor who did it full time (he wired the Lowe's stores in Calgary for instance). He told me it was really important to own your equipment, don't be paying through the nose for it in perpetuity in a rental contract where you could have bought it a few times over. We've got contacts at every window, every door, dual keypads by the back door so I can have secondary control of the detached garage from the house. Keypads at both the front and back door of the house, I wired the house for about 7-8 camera's on the house exterior (and even some looking back at the house from elsewhere). When the garage goes up it will have some cameras covering the alley and each other. It sounds excessive yes, but I'm mere blocks from a bottle depot, so there's lots of creeps wandering about.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
He told me it was really important to own your equipment, don't be paying through the nose for it in perpetuity in a rental contract where you could have bought it a few times over.
I got the same advice. It's a bit more up front cost but yearly payments are way lower plus you aren't stuck in a contract with a company not serving your needs plus you get the exact system you need..
Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
With most everyone having smartphones these days, does it even make sense to have monitoring anymore? They're just reading what signals are sent to them by the system and relaying some phone calls; it seems to me the system should just be able to send alarm activation details right to my smartphone and perhaps some others who act as alternate contacts if it doesn't recieve a confirmation code back from me. Its monitored for sure, but by me. Cut out the middleman. If there isn't such a system there should be.
That's my thing.. There should be a system like this.. But I can't find one.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM

DTP are pretty good. For cameras go to costco and install the cameras your self. Its super easy all you do is contact the customer service for the camera manufacturer and they will actually set it up for you through the phone and by connecting to your computer, then you'll be able to see the cameras from your phone anywhere you go.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 PM

I went the DIY route and it worked out great. I have the option to contract an alarm company to monitor the alarm. Right now if the alarm is tripped it will dial my cell phone and tell me what is going on. For example it will say "Front Door Alarm", or "Basement Bedroom 2 Alarm".

If it gets no answer on my cell phone it dials the old lady, no answer it dials my parents.

I went with a basic system - motion detectors and contact sensors. The system can upgraded with all sorts of nifty things like wireless deadbolts and lights.

The would be criminal that is pondering breaking into your house typically isn't some experienced burglar who uses high tech devices and gymnastics to fool your alarm system. I have limited experience, but from what I have seen most break-in's are done via a heavy boot to the back or front door. They run through the house and carry out what they can. The goal is to get a heavy siren going as soon as possible to try to influence how long the crooks feel comfortable going through your things.

No alarm company is going to be able to respond as fast as you can. If you are leaving the area for work or holiday, most people have neighbors that know how to dial 911 if your alarm calls them in the middle of the night.

In regards to the installation, do not fret about the sensors. Everything is wireless these days except for the "brains" of the system. Leave a space in your utility room to mount the unit with 110v power near it. Purchase a few wireless keypads and you can stick them to the walls anywhere in your home.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 PM

Any more info on your system?
You can PM me if you are more comfortable that way.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 PM

...oops

Last edited by CaberTosser; 11-20-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Any more info on your system?
You can PM me if you are more comfortable that way.
http://www.safemart.com/Wireless-Hom...NXT-CUSTOM.htm

I have the simonXT and purchased most of the system through safemart.

In hindsight I should have just purchased the simonXT through Safemart and sourced all the accessories on EBAY. I ended up getting several motion detectors and door plunger type sensors via ebay and they were a huge discount to the safemart products.

The nice thing about safemart for the system itself is that it comes with instructions on how to wire and program the system into your home. If you go this route be sure to get as many wireless keypads as you need as well as a wireless siren. This is very important as the "do it yourself" system does not have cellular capability unless you pay the bigger bucks. If a theif were to rip the system from the wall it would prevent the system from calling out. You need to put the brains of the system in a closet or the utility room and turn it to "silent". Have the keypads and the wireless siren do the work. 99% of theives are not going to search your home for the alarm system computer so they can destroy it. If they do find it, its too late. The siren is going and its already called you.

In all honesty do not be afraid of installing your own system. If you have even a sliver of mechanical skill and DIY ability you will be able to figure it out after a few reads of the instructions.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM

IF you can, install it yourself.

That way, no one knows your set up. No one but you.

I monitor mine on my iPhone. From anywhere. You can too. Or an Android device.

It is not cheap. Don't think you will get something for next to nothing. That doesn't exist.

Deafening loud inside speakers. Seriously. Deafening. The kind of loud that gives you a nose bleed.

And, although you specified you didn't wanna hear it, Smith and Wesson or Glock might just keep you alive so that if/when the police show up, they just don't find your body in a real loud house......Alarm is great, but if no one responds immediately, you're just whistling in the graveyard.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Titan Alarm for 7 months now. Good so far.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
And, although you specified you didn't wanna hear it, Smith and Wesson or Glock might just keep you alive so that if/when the police show up, they just don't find your body in a real loud house......Alarm is great, but if no one responds immediately, you're just whistling in the graveyard.
Yeah.. Like I said, I'm not worried when I'm at home (with the family), it's the wife & kids, when I'm not home. And my backyard isn't that big, so my neighbors would probably be suspicious of me digging in the backyard in the middle of the night..

Most b&e's are looking for the easy grab, typically they'll go the the next house w/o security stickers.

I'm leaning towards the DIY'er.

SO what does everyone (w/o monitoring) do when they are out of cell range?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
SO what does everyone (w/o monitoring) do when they are out of cell range?
Most of the systems seem to have the ability to store 3 or 4 numbers.

If I do not pick up when it calls me it moves onto the next number in the list.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 PM

I install and run 4-8 camera systems from tigerdirect.ca

They are Internet accessible and built in dvr

Easy to setup and have given good clear video to RCMP.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 PM
sheephunter

Cameras are a great secondary system but I want something that will prevent a break in in the first place. A monitored alarm going off will do that in most cases. Worst case, it's a quick in and out without a ton of damage done to your place.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:49 PM

Check into satellite ability via cell phone...........it's available at Cabelas
Old 05-30-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarShooter View Post
By far the cheapest solution is just the appearance of a house alarm. A white box and blue light will cost you very little, and is a great burglar repellant. But if you are serious about home security, consider getting a professional system and installation. Not cheap though.
This thread is 6 years old.

I’m sure the OP has found a solution by now.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Have a friend who was out swimming when a fire started at his home. ADT (his alarm company, who I'm with) had the fire dept there within minutes and the fire was quickly contained and damage was minimal.
If he was using your suggestion...by the time he finished swimming and toweled off and checked his messages his home would have been a pile of ashes.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:53 AM

Yes Shawn installed our system, as well based on your review from a few years ago). Super knowledgeable. Too bad he doesn’t do residential anymore.

P

Quote:
When I had our house wired for security it was by a neighbor who did it full time (he wired the Lowe's stores in Calgary for instance). He told me it was really important to own your equipment, don't be paying through the nose for it in perpetuity in a rental contract where you could have bought it a few times over. We've got contacts at every window, every door, dual keypads by the back door so I can have secondary control of the detached garage from the house. Keypads at both the front and back door of the house, I wired the house for about 7-8 camera's on the house exterior (and even some looking back at the house from elsewhere). When the garage goes up it will have some cameras covering the alley and each other. It sounds excessive yes, but I'm mere blocks from a bottle depot, so there's lots of creeps wandering about.

-Confucius
Old 05-31-2018, 08:52 AM

Default security

Just had my quad stolen, the scum bags drove through locked steel gate, have ADT system and fake cameras did not help, even barking dogs.