Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 07:38 AM

Default Mini bikes

Hey,
Just checking to see if anyone has a mini bike. I see Peavey Mart has some Monster Moto bikes including a 1000w electric version. I am looking for feedback on riding and reliability. Gas or electric? I am looking for a 9 and 11 year old that will ride around the yard at the lake. They are not looking for speed. I was considering a dirt bike but think they will have more fun with a big tire mini bike instead.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:46 AM

Yea, I'm, ahhh, looking for one for my son too......

I'd personally go with gas, not for reliability, but that it can be "recharged" almost instantly. Guess it depends on how much you think they'll be riding it and how long a charge lasts.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:16 AM

We have a Mini Baja with shocks on the front. Solid rear wheel. Looks like a mini Harley with big fake gas tank. Since the seat base was cracked when we got it, I took it off, added a big barn door hinge from UFA, some 3” coil springs from Bumper to Bumper and made a springer seat out of it. The bike’s been running trouble free for 4 years now with 3 girls beating on it. Lol
Old 05-30-2018, 08:39 AM

Bought my 10 yr old kid a monster moto at peavey mart. He runs it around the yard and up at the farm. Seems to chug along although i need to flintstone it to het it moving with my weight on it.

The motor is loud and clanky as is the clutch but hey it was pretty cheap. I already picked up a couple of aftermarket motors at CT when they were on sale. Go on youtube and you will see some mods done to them to make them go faster.

In the end it has not failed yet and he enjoys running around on it. It is a cheap option til i get him into some youth dirt bike
Old 05-30-2018, 09:07 AM
Banned

pick up a honda z50 and it will still be running when your great grand kids want it.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:19 PM

Default Mini bikes

I bought my kids (then 4 and 6) Honda CRF50's. They love them. And I love them. Reliable, tough, starts every time and zero maintenance other than an oil change once a month. (Yes, they ride them that much) I don't think you can break those bikes.No mixing fuel, no batteries that go dead. They just keep going all day, every day. The best is you can sell them for $300 less for what you bought them for once the outgrow them. A little more money initially, but well worth the fun at the end.

Last edited by Immigrant; 05-30-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:06 PM

i got a honda 70 for the grandkids about six years ago . they all learned or are learning on it and it gets lots of abuse . still runs like the day i bought it . i cant say that its better than an electric because i have never had anything to do with one but would not hesitate to buy another small honda . another bonus as they outgrow it and move to the 125 they know gear shifting and throttle control . not sure if they would learn that on the electric machines .