Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2018, 10:51 AM

Yes, location and timing is very suspect on the spill. Maybe just bad luck, but maybe not.

This FN Group was in negotiations with KM on the routing, and had some very high demands.

You see, it was not just the sandal crowd in Vancouver that was battling the expansion with KM. However, it may have to do with a tolling agreement for the crossing as well.

When you think of it, your average walmart parking lot sees more oil leaked onto it in a month, that all finds itself into the sewer system and the then to the river. No one ever makes mention of that fact.

Drewski
Old 05-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
This spill is smaller than the size of most gas tanks on trucks. Maybe we should be reporting spills every time there's a car accident. Hell, I've seen bigger spills on sites due to truckers not draining their hoses properly. Yet nothing in the news. But KM has a "spill", and the world (sorry BC) is in an uproar.

Who knows what happened.. Did something fail? was it vandalized? incorrectly engineered?

To me, Seems like their "systems" worked pretty good to keep the spill to a minimum.
I'm willing to be that there is more gas and diesel spilt at fuel stations in BC in a single day then has spilled out of this pipeline in the last 60 years!

BW
Old 05-29-2018, 11:14 AM
Banned

I think any 1st nations group should worry about cleaning up their yards before they worry about a pipeline mess. Once that is done then they can complain and make demands.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:31 PM

Default Norwest Alta, you speak the truth

Ever wonder about where they dump their motor oil after a change?

Ever wonder about what is leaking from all the wrecked cars in some of their yards?

Yes, it may be a case of waving the flag to get what you want, but not really believing in the flag in the first place. Its just a means to an end.

For the existing Trans Mountain line, there was no "fee to use" on the existing right of ways negotiated in the 1960's. Now, there is an attempt to require a Tolling Agreement for each and every barrel of oil that flows over their FN land, even the traditional territory.

These Tolling Agreements was what killed the McKenzie Valley Pipeline 2.0 about a decade ago. When the boys from Huston called it quits, The FN bands were up in arms about why, when the cumulative Tolls from all the FN groups were worth more than the oil itself.

The FN reply was that it was just "negotiating" and they were willing to talk about it. Trouble is, the multi nationals had invested 10's of millions of dollars up to that point, and were not going to throw good money after bad.

All the future jobs, all the future royalties and future fees, all that future prosperity, vanished never to return. The McKenzie Valley bands regret it to this day.

Drewski
Old 05-29-2018, 01:43 PM

The sad thing about it is there are people out there that think 100 l is a big deal. That’s scary to me. Oh and the fact that the media thought that was news worthy. That’s really unnerving.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

All the future jobs, all the future royalties and future fees, all that future prosperity, vanished never to return. The McKenzie Valley bands regret it to this day.

Drewski
They wish every day for a do-over. Unfortunately the future is forever bleak for them as a result (I'm sure they also regret listening to the white lawyers et al looking for a spot at the trough as well)
Old 05-29-2018, 03:56 PM

We had a laugh about the 100 litre spill out at the well site yesterday. Especially when the reporter gal reported with great gravity “they’re cleaning it up with vac trucks”! Shucks, I’d just use my shop vac.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
We had a laugh about the 100 litre spill out at the well site yesterday. Especially when the reporter gal reported with great gravity “they’re cleaning it up with vac trucks”! Shucks, I’d just use my shop vac.
Dust control is what I call it.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Not entirely disagreeing with your premise however smart people, public with a brain, people that are sick of special interest groups screaming their religious anti oil fervour will clearly see that accidents happen and on the whole pipelines are the best way to enjoy everything oil gives us in society from power to transportation to cheaper goods and refined products.

Education is needed to highlight the fact that this is inconsequential. It is proof a system can work safely.

The alternative of horse and buggy makes no sense. The fact we in Canada are the only people in the WORLD who are imposing self inflicted financial pain on tax payers and consumers will soon resonate with average people.

The fact we continue to remove cheap coal electricity while China builds a thousand more...stings big time and the tide will swing back from emotionally driven lobbying from the fanatical 5 % to common sense of the 95 %!
I'm not against the pipe, and it's now moot, as all of us taxpayers are now onboard.

The optics however is not good. Oka was not a good time for the troops. I hope they are not required for the final stages of this build.

Ex Coelis