Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Anotolian Sheppard
My brother has one as well as two Komondors on his 1/4 near Sundre. The Komondors are awesome patrol dogs. I've never heard them bark but they can be pretty intimidating. The Anatoli Shepherd is more or less a one man dog and pretty much ignores kids or anyone else other than keeping an eye on them.

I have a 175 lb Newfoundland and couldn't imagine keeping that big guy half ass clean full time on an acreage. They love mud, water and rolling in stuff.

Also, if you think Great Danes slobber, you wouldn't want a Newfoundland. We think drool is cool though.

He's a very strong, smart loveable boy and loves kids and people period. He'll bark at a stranger or strange dog and stand between you and the "threat" if he perceives that you are tense. For those who don't know that he'd probably lick them to death and show them where the tools and electronics are, they can be intimidating.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Just put down our 16 year old Shepherd yesterday, he was neutered young, never left the farmyard, a wonderful dog, who lived a long and healthy life. We fed him raw food for most of his life. We feel that was a big part of the reason for his long life. He came from police dog lines but was great with kids and people. He did bark at coyotes, especially as a young dog.

I've also had a Pyrenees, lovely dog but wouldn't stay home. Unless they are a working dog raised with sheep or similar I can't see them staying home on a small property.

We also had a Norwegian Elkhound, great dog but also liked to wander. I'm told that is a trait of northern dogs.

There were others but for a farm the best we've had was the Shepherd. He was outside all the time, slept in a large, open door crate. It was insulated and when he aged we put in a small heat mat in the winter. It was only warm to the touch when laid on.

Good luck on choosing and finding the right one!