Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-21-2013, 09:40 PM

Default 2013 Trapper Rendezvous

Sandi and I made it there for some of Saturday and I'm glad we did. This was a first class event and a big congratulations to all hard working volunteers and sponsors that made it possible. Sandi and I made a You Tube video of the event for those who couldn't attend. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=375-MSgBYsA
Old 07-21-2013, 10:14 PM

It was a great time for sure Richard. A big changed that I've seen over the years is more and more activities for kids and families. It's made the rendezvous more fun. I'm betting that over 400 folks took it in over the two days.

Nicole Naef and the Peace River local did an outstanding job and have once again raised the bar. Drayton Valley Local is hosting next year and we know what high achievers that crew is. I heard a rumour Gary Godberson is inventing a new drink for the event called a Beserker.

On behalf of GP Local 1070 a big thanks for all the great entries into our Peoples Choice photo contest. We had 48 entries this year. Bill Abercrombie took home the Moose Horn carving trophy this year for his outstanding morning shot of a coyote. Truly an outstanding shot

Man I like being a trapper.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:10 AM

I made the event Saturday had a great time visiting with friends and learning some new tricks of the trade. Hats off to the volunteers at the event they did a great job.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 AM

Wish i could have made it, watched the vid, thanks 209x50.
Looks like alot of fun.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 AM

Default 2013 Gimshaw Rendezvous

Outstanding event - hats off to the volunteers, sponsors and all involved for an excellent show and first class demonstrations and meals.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Made it out Saturday as well. Great turnout and lots of familiar faces. It was awesome to see the next generation away from the video games and out learning something about our Canadian history and future.
The speed skinning was definitely a crowd pleaser even though Gordy got beat by the Yankee
Congrats also to Brian and Andrew with Compass Media, your videos and wildlife footage was amazing as usual.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:13 PM

Default Young Future

Great Rendezvous, perhaps the best I have been to. Amazing job by Peace River local! WOW

I had a great chat with Greg Schroder, who is a professional fur handler / grader with FHA. He travels to many conventions/trapper events in North America every year. He was very CLEAR that he has never seen the high numbers of youth and young families at ANY other event on the continent. He said there were NTA type events with obviously many more people - who still couldn't match the number of kids we had. Obviously we are doing something right! The ATA will young down it would appear, breaking the old guy trend we have had for at least 3 decades.

It seems very obvious now that we have to continue to expand youth events from Youth Muskrat and Snowshoe race to an additional event next year. Stay tuned for Squirrel Snaring and an extra snowshoe race (with age split) If the kids drag Mom and Dad to the next Rendezvous in D Valley we are all winners too!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Made it out Saturday as well. Great turnout and lots of familiar faces. It was awesome to see the next generation away from the video games and out learning something about our Canadian history and future.
The speed skinning was definitely a crowd pleaser even though Gordy got beat by the Yankee
Congrats also to Brian and Andrew with Compass Media, your videos and wildlife footage was amazing as usual.
No the winner is from Morrinvile.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Godberson View Post
Great Rendezvous, perhaps the best I have been to. Amazing job by Peace River local! WOW

I had a great chat with Greg Schroder, who is a professional fur handler / grader with FHA. He travels to many conventions/trapper events in North America every year. He was very CLEAR that he has never seen the high numbers of youth and young families at ANY other event on the continent. He said there were NTA type events with obviously many more people - who still couldn't match the number of kids we had. Obviously we are doing something right! The ATA will young down it would appear, breaking the old guy trend we have had for at least 3 decades.

It seems very obvious now that we have to continue to expand youth events from Youth Muskrat and Snowshoe race to an additional event next year. Stay tuned for Squirrel Snaring and an extra snowshoe race (with age split) If the kids drag Mom and Dad to the next Rendezvous in D Valley we are all winners too!
Hey gary it would be nice to see more kids skinning competitions, my daughter won second place in the muskrat skinning this year it sure is a good way to get them involved.I would be more than happy to put up some prize money for some kids events.I would be more than happy to help out in any way I can
Old 07-22-2013, 09:29 PM

Default Youth

Your daughter is amazing, I was looking forward to the race between her and Wyatt. Knew it would be a rematch from last year. You will have to trap extra rats this winter to keep her in practice....

We are adding the Squirrel pole competition for now. That is one new event per year. Sure we could consider another skinning event... in the future. Sponsorship is always welcome of course. We could also do 2 age groups in Muskrat as another option. Good demand from the kids to get in... important to accommodate all!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
No the winner is from Morrinvile.
Your right Rich, I had him and Greg mixed up.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 AM

Default Utc

Gary, you have done a great job in reviving the UTC and including the youth events. You have given the youth something to do at the rendezvous which in turn brings the whole family. Thank you!