Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 10:37 AM

Default Wholesale sports /Peavey Mart Grand opening

Drove past wws last weekend on yellow head trail and it was turned into Peavey mart. Good to see the building is going to good use.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Cool, now there is a Peavey Mart close to me. They have great prices on lots of stuff and they carry things no one else has. I miss Wholesale but this isn't a bad trade at all.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:49 AM

This is good news.

Peavey Mart is like Princess Auto to me - lot's of really cheap stuff, some junky quality stuff to lookout for, but some decent stuff for occasional use, but they fill an important niche.

If I'm buying something like a dead-blow hammer, a set of trailer lights, maybe some rubber matting or air lines (as a homeowner and occasional user) they are great.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:50 AM

The former Calgary Wholesale location is going to become a T&T Market which is owned by Loblaws. The landlord must have been under some stress as they owned all of the former WSS locations. That’s quite a pickle to lose all your tenants simultaneously, now they’ll be diversified which is great. I randomly bumped into the landlord a couple of weeks ago and we chatted for a bit.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:02 AM

Peavy mart is great. Never leave empty handed !
Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This is good news.

Peavey Mart is like Princess Auto to me - lot's of really cheap stuff, some junky quality stuff to lookout for, but some decent stuff for occasional use, but they fill an important niche.

If I'm buying something like a dead-blow hammer, a set of trailer lights, maybe some rubber matting or air lines (as a homeowner and occasional user) they are great.
My experience as well, a lot of mass produced product you might not buy thinking the kids might use it one day. Seems like their stores are emptier than a few years ago as well, my perception anyhow.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-24-2019, 01:24 PM

Default Good News

Nice. It's not WSS, but it's a useful store for many things. I'm happy about this.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:06 AM

Default Peavy

Sorry, last purchase of security system battery, Peavy charged me $60, was on Amazon for $25, go figure. They also would not let me buy a salt block for my horses until logged whole pile stuff into computer. Salt such a dangerous commodity.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Peavy mart is great. Never leave empty handed !
Bought a nail puller there once. Broke on the first nail, they refused to replace it. Never went back.

Grizz
Old 03-25-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Sorry, last purchase of security system battery, Peavy charged me $60, was on Amazon for $25, go figure. They also would not let me buy a salt block for my horses until logged whole pile stuff into computer. Salt such a dangerous commodity.
Not Peavey Mart's doing. Provincial regulations ever since the BSE problem. Traceability they call it.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Lots of feed places (G&E) record animal “feed” in case there is a recall. I am guessing they accidentally figured salt was “feed”.

LC
Old 03-25-2019, 09:55 AM

Nice to see a T&T moving into the Calgary location.

Years ago, a co-worker suggested T&T to me when we were looking for some things that weren't available at the typical chains. We made a successful trip to T&T and back at work, I thanked my co-worker for the tip.
As an aside, I told him about a shopper that smacked her kid on the butt and scolded him. Not a common sight at Superstore. ( note to the internet po-po; I am not making a judgement either way)

Co-worker made some comments about cultural differences. Reminded me of this. Russel Peters. 8 minutes. Very funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMu2QCKaFyA
Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The former Calgary Wholesale location is going to become a T&T Market which is owned by Loblaws. The landlord must have been under some stress as they owned all of the former WSS locations. That’s quite a pickle to lose all your tenants simultaneously, now they’ll be diversified which is great. I randomly bumped into the landlord a couple of weeks ago and we chatted for a bit.
Surprised to hear it's owned by Loblaws, but they just bout own the grocery trade. About as ethnic an environment as you can find. Not many Whiteys work there and the English language is a foreign tongue.

Grizz
Old 03-25-2019, 11:07 AM

Awesome, love that place. There goes my paycheck. Lol
Old 03-25-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Nice to see a T&T moving into the Calgary location.

Years ago, a co-worker suggested T&T to me when we were looking for some things that weren't available at the typical chains. We made a successful trip to T&T and back at work, I thanked my co-worker for the tip.
As an aside, I told him about a shopper that smacked her kid on the butt and scolded him. Not a common sight at Superstore. ( note to the internet po-po; I am not making a judgement either way)

Co-worker made some comments about cultural differences. Reminded me of this. Russel Peters. 8 minutes. Very funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMu2QCKaFyA
Thank you for the link and a reminder! No matter how many times I watch this video, I always laugh! What a great comedy!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Banned

Default im not happy ...

trading a gun store for another HW store

NOT GOOD !
Old 03-25-2019, 11:21 AM

Drove by old Lethbridge Wholsesale Sports location yesterday and it looks like it will become a wine store......
Old 03-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
trading a gun store for another HW store

NOT GOOD !
Is HW an abbreviation that we're supposed to know? I'm curious to hear your definition for it.

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/HW
Old 03-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Is HW an abbreviation that we're supposed to know? I'm curious to hear your definition for it.

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/HW
I was going with HARD WARE Store..
Old 03-25-2019, 11:53 AM

How did I miss that? I was fixated on the Calgary store being a T&T being that TBD is also a local and I was wondering what the heck it would mean in that context. It makes utter and total sense for the Edmonton location.

D’oh!
Old 03-25-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Bought a nail puller there once. Broke on the first nail, they refused to replace it. Never went back.

Grizz
Interesting, don't recall ever trying to take anything back to Peavey.

From their website. Apparently your store doesn't live up to National policies. Same problem with CT stores quite often. I wouldn't shop at your store either but I would also email the head office and tell them what I think of the treatment there.

Quote:
Refund Policy
Peavey Mart guarantees your satisfaction with the merchandise you purchase from us with original receipt and when you provide your name and phone number. PeaveyMart.com merchandise may, subject to what follows regarding pet and animal feed and certain power equipment products, be returned to any of our Peavey Mart Stores, Canada wide. Or, if you wish to return or exchange merchandise directly to PeaveyMart.com, contact us at CustomerService@PeaveyMart.com. Pet and Animal feed is subject to government regulation and may not be returned. If a quality concern with pet and animal feed is an issue, Peavey Mart will require additional time to verify the concern, in which case a refund will be approved upon positive verification. This process may require 2 to 5 business days. Power Equipment which includes all gasoline powered products are eligible for return within 30 days provided they have not been started. If these products are started they are eligible for repair and subject to inspection by a professional small engine repair mechanic who will verify manufacturers guidelines have been correctly followed prior to return authorization. This process may require 10 business days.

Peavey Mart may in the future restrict its return policy regarding other products. Restrictions will be shown on the corresponding product description page.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:38 PM
Banned

Default first one on your list ...

Quote:

decent line of tools but not competitively priced, bunch of chineese stuff, not competitive on lube either ...

sorry but Peavy Mart ain't good for much !

PS ... 'bot a set of CAT work boots there, fell apart inside of 2 months, should have realized --

... why they weRe on CLEARANCE !

Last edited by TBD; 03-25-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:52 PM

Getting some stuff at Peavey Mart is good, for instance they have brand name aluminum pipe wrenches (Irwin) for a lot cheaper than you'll find them elsewhere, though admittedly I'm going back a decade on that when Mrs Caber still had a house in Stettler.

I'm a hardware store junkie and I like variety, what can I say? I do avoid cheap tools like the plague though.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Were the former WSS real estate holdings not still owned by the brothers (Brad and ? ) that originally started WSS ? I understood they sold the businesses to UFA but held on to the real estate.
UFA would have still been on the hook for the rent payments until lease expiration.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Were the former WSS real estate holdings not still owned by the brothers (Brad and ? ) that originally started WSS ? I understood they sold the businesses to UFA but held on to the real estate.
UFA would have still been on the hook for the rent payments until lease expiration.
It was Brad that I spoke with. I’ve done plumbing work for him going back 20 years. Last bit was after the big flood though. New house so no recent needs.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:20 PM

Default Ah ha !

Brad & Russ ! I knew it would come to me.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:52 AM

Peavey has raised their prices but so has Princess Auto. The best Peavey is in Red Deer, it's close to Costco. Lot more stuff in it than most Peaveys. Sherwood Park also has a new Peavey just north of Costco. Still find that most of these places have a little bit of this and a little bit of that and never what I need so spending more time buying stuff on-line even if I have to get it shipped in from the US. Real problem in small towns, have a Peavey or Canadian Tire and 3 hardware stores and they all have the same minor stuff in them, just need to replace them with one good hardware store.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Banned

I like that Peavy mart let's you bring your pups in with you. Brightens everyone's day